Swimming Mermalions discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 31, 2016 05:09AM) (new)

Card 5

A trader wanders into town at dusk. He hops off his mighty stead and ties the horse to a nearby tree. He sees you eyeing the quest board with a vaguely disgusted look on your face. He saunters up to you looking eager for news of the realm. "Tell me your rumors and stories! I've been away for too many years!" he cries.
"I wish to hear your juiciest and most rare gossip." he whispers. You wink at him and say, "I have just the stories for you..."

Tasks:
•Read a Rare Story (less than 500 ratings). - Lusie
•Read a Rare Story (less than 500 ratings). - Lexi
•Read a Rare Story (less than 500 ratings). - Lexi
•Read a Greater Rare Story (less than 10 ratings). - Chava

Rewards:
•6 Experience
•1 Shield Potion

message 2: by Imke (last edited Oct 10, 2016 04:41AM) (new)

Imke (immie75) CARD 1
A green little angry fellow that likes to stab weary (and unweary) travelers with sharp pointy sticks.

Attack: 6 Health: 12

Rewards:
•1 Experience

message 3: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) CARD 2
The king of all dragons, the Great Novel Dragon has been featured in stories far and wide. To fell this mighty beast you must be the strongest of all the hero's in all the lands in all the worlds in all the universes and so on and so forth.

Attack: 25 Health: 150

Rewards:
•50 Experience
•15 Gold
•1 Greater Damage Potion
•1 Greater Heal Potion

message 4: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) CARD 3
A strange thin creature that is so thin he is hidden when sideways. It is very furry and has been almost hunted to extinction to be made into soft bookmarks for discriminating readers.

Attack: 7 Health: 50

Rewards:
•5 Experience
•5 Gold

message 5: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) CARD 4

The Queen is going on a first date with a very nice Prince of the neighboring kingdom of Novella. She wants some idea's of nice things to do on her date.
Find the following words in the text of a book.

Rewards:
•5 Experience
•1 Gold

I checked spreadsheet for the words, which are:
*ROSE
*VALENTINE
*DATE

message 6: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) CARD 5

The innkeeper asks you to pick some berries to help with her famous triple berry pie. You gladly agree in hopes of reaping some berry good rewards.
Use spell-it-out rules to spell the word RASP.

Rewards:
•5 Experience
•1 Gold

message 7: by Lusie (last edited Oct 10, 2016 08:13AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) For the spelling, can we use title, first name author and last name author? I'm now reading Veroordeeld by Karin Slaughter. Would the letters for that book be V, K, S?

How do the monster cards work? How can we complete one?
Card 1 was low attack points. I think we should complete that card first. It has got 12 health. If I understand it correct we have the greatest change to win with 1 blow if we have out attack stats at 12. Is that correct?

Though before we complete a monster card we should update our read books in the spreadsheat for the weapons.

message 8: by Juliana (last edited Oct 10, 2016 10:44AM) (new)

Juliana Rodrigues (julianamfrodrigues) | 87 comments Lusie, the basic rules for the Spell it out are:

Spell out the word(s) using the first letter in the book's title, the first letter in the author's, translator's or audiobook narrators first or last name,the first letter in the series name, or the first letter of a character's first, last, or nick-name.

message 9: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 32 comments I'm reading The Scarlet Tide. It has rose, valentine and date in the text, and it can also be used for weapon (#3 in series).

message 10: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) Thank you, Juliana.

message 11: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) I checked on amazon and in the book I'm reading you can find the words; Rose, Date, Marriage, Happy. But I'm reading the Durch version. Would it be allowed if I used the Dutch translation ofthe words, or can I refer to the English version (even though I am not reading that one)?

If not, then Veroordeeld can be used for "S".

message 12: by Chava (new)

Chava Reading Bloody Valentine by James Patterson for card 4: read book with word valentine in it

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I discarded some cards yesterday as the monsters were too high for us to fight successfully.

We now have 3 new quest cards. We can discard any of our cards as they will be replaced tomorrow at 11am (London time).

My vote would be to get rid of cards 2 (we already have a find the word in the text quest) and 3 (looks a bit of a pain to easily find books) .

message 14: by Lusie (last edited Oct 11, 2016 06:56AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) I agree about discarding card 2 & 3

About card one...can a book with a door or maybe even a window on the cover be used for this?

message 15: by Lexi (last edited Oct 11, 2016 07:33AM) (new)

Lexi | 38 comments Since first in a series is fairly easy, Shattered Glass could be moved over to DATE (p. 178 - I was pissed at myself for making a date on Saturday). MARRIAGE - (p.404 - You’ve already ruined your career, your marriage, possibly your partnership).

I am also good with discarding cards 2 and 3.

message 16: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Rodrigues (julianamfrodrigues) | 87 comments I'll try to find something that works for R or A fot the spell-it-out

message 17: by Juliana (last edited Oct 11, 2016 08:10AM) (new)

Juliana Rodrigues (julianamfrodrigues) | 87 comments Juliana wrote: "I'll try to find something that works for R or A fot the spell-it-out"

By the way, the book I just finished (Shadows of the Gods by Jay Allan) works for letter A, it was reserved for the weapon but maybe it has better ise here?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Completed

CARD 5

Use spell-it-out rules to spell the word RASP:

R: Lexi Shattered Glass
A: Juliana Shadows of the Gods
S: Chava Truly Madly Guilty
P: Lori The Wells Bequest

Rewards:
•5 Experience
•1 Gold

We have a new card 5.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Cards 2 and 3 have been discarded

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Lusie wrote: "I agree about discarding card 2 & 3

About card one...can a book with a door or maybe even a window on the cover be used for this?"

Yes, a door or a window or any other way we could argue you could get access to a house.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I also dismissed card 1 as looking at it again we have to read 4 books for only 2 experience points. It did give 4 gold but we don't really need gold at the moment.

message 22: by Lusie (last edited Oct 13, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) I'm reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I'll finish it later today.

I'm not sure which cards we plan to finish... I think we might be able to use it for:
Card 1: Read a book with irritating/annoying character or book that was annoying to you - I think the narator is so annoying. It is death.
Card 3: Spell-it-out: M

edit: finished the book

message 23: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Rodrigues (julianamfrodrigues) | 87 comments I can read Breaking Up with Barrett by Katy Regnery for the letter 'R' of the spell it out.

message 24: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 32 comments I'm reading Under a Blood-Red Moon - works for card 1 (the three tasks left) or card 3 (spell out U).

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

We have a new quest card.

message 26: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 21 comments I can do apple for treats

Dane's Odyssey to a Real Valentine's Day (A Holiday Story #2) by Bellann Summer
123 pages

message 27: by Juliana (last edited Oct 15, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

Juliana Rodrigues (julianamfrodrigues) | 87 comments Juliana wrote: "I can read Breaking Up with Barrett by Katy Regnery for the letter 'R' of the spell it out."

I'm still reading it but it can works for:
Riding Clothes - Read a book under 200 pages.
Sugar for Treats - Read a book that's sweet (chic lit, romance, cozy mystery, etc.)

or it can be used as first in a series

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 15, 2016 06:00PM) (new)

Do we want to keep the current card 3? On one hand it would be easy to find books which makes me think keep it but on the other it doesn't give us very much in the way of experience points per book read and we have 3 damage potions already and can buy more. We have a new stash of Travel Agent books we can use so I've filled in what I can from them which leaves us only 3 months to read for - March, June and July.

I got rid of card 1 because we've had it a few days and no one had claimed any of the other 4 tasks. I used Lusie's book to help complete card 4.

message 29: by Chava (new)

Chava Finished Bloody Valentine for card 4

message 30: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Rodrigues (julianamfrodrigues) | 87 comments Finished

Breaking Up with Barrett (The English Brothers, #1) by Katy Regnery
Breaking Up with Barrett by Katy Regnery

174 pages
16 October 2016

Tasks:
card 2
Riding Clothes - Read a book under 200 pages.
Sugar for Treats - Read a book that's sweet (chic lit, romance, cozy mystery, etc.)

card 3
first published June 21st 2014

card 4
ROSE: "I called over to Kindred right away and sent two dozen roses to arrive this morning." - location: 33%
DATE: "(...) and he feels like a date makes dinner meetings feel more social (...)" - location: 2%
MARRIAGE: "(...) young mother in the first ten months of their marriage, (...)" - location 33%
HAPPY: " (...) by the story they were weaving of a happy young couple waking up to hot sex (...)" - location 19%

weapon
or it can be used as first in a series: Blueberry Lane 1 - The English Brothers #1

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

We have a couple of new cards. Do we want to keep them?

It also looks like the Mods will be doing away with the tournaments so we won't have to worry about fighting other teams and losing all our health.

message 32: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Rodrigues (julianamfrodrigues) | 87 comments Pigletto wrote: "We have a couple of new cards. Do we want to keep them?

It also looks like the Mods will be doing away with the tournaments so we won't have to worry about fighting other teams and losing all our ..."

I don't think the prefixe/sufixe card will be easy to fulfill...

message 33: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Rodrigues (julianamfrodrigues) | 87 comments I'll try to read another under 200 pages book to help with the horse card

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Juliana wrote: "Pigletto wrote: "We have a couple of new cards. Do we want to keep them?

It also looks like the Mods will be doing away with the tournaments so we won't have to worry about fighting other teams an..."

We've been quite lucky with this one. Lexi has just read a book with the prefix re- and I'm currently reading one with the same prefix. Chava is reading a book with the suffix -ing and put together with the book you just read we have our 4 books.

This means the Read a book that's sweet (chic lit, romance, cozy mystery, etc.) task is open again.

message 35: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Rodrigues (julianamfrodrigues) | 87 comments Great! Since the points were good ones for this card!

message 36: by Jen (new)

Jen Sabo | 25 comments Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I had a blood clot and after missing class for a day to figure that out and then get treatment I was a little behind.

I'm not super sure what this task is all about but I will read the pages and try to figure out what we still need.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Jen wrote: "Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I had a blood clot and after missing class for a day to figure that out and then get treatment I was a little behind.

I'm not super sure what this task is all about..."

Hi Jen! Good to see you back. Sorry you've been unwell.

Take a look around the threads to get your bearings.

The main things you need to know are we need to level our hero by gaining experience points. We do this by completing quests and fighting monsters. The current tasks for the quests are always at the top of this thread.

We also need to level up our weapon by reading series books. Take a look at that thread to see what is needed.

message 38: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 32 comments I'm reading A Second Harvest (Men of Lancaster County, #1) by Eli Easton for card 2 - book set on a farm.

message 39: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) I'm currently reading a book with over 600 pages. I'm reading Anna Karenina which has got 865 pages.

message 40: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 38 comments I'm back with internet for the next week. (I get a break from chasing Mongolian ponies). I was reading an H book but noticed that has been claimed. Not sure where else Hero by Perry Moore.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Xelly wrote: "I'm back with internet for the next week. (I get a break from chasing Mongolian ponies). I was reading an H book but noticed that has been claimed. Not sure where else Hero by [autho..."

I'll swap it with Clare's book as that one is also a series book.

message 42: by Bookworm_gem (new)

Bookworm_gem  (gembear) I'm reading child 44 - can be used for card 4 for word marriage. page 215 'the marriage was a shame'

message 43: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 38 comments What is needed most next? I can series or one of the cards.

message 44: by Lusie (last edited Oct 20, 2016 02:35PM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) I finished Anna Karenina

I'm now reading It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover . I don't think it fits for any of our current challenges.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Xelly wrote: "What is needed most next? I can series or one of the cards."

At this point it doesn't really matter.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Can anyone read a book with Triangle in the title? If not I'll discard task 5.

message 47: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) Pigletto wrote: "Can anyone read a book with Triangle in the title? If not I'll discard task 5."

No, I dont have any books with triangle in the title

message 48: by Bookworm_gem (new)

Bookworm_gem  (gembear) sorry no triangle books either

message 49: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 32 comments I don't have any either.

message 50: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) I think discarding the card is a good idea.

« previous 1