UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Amazon Adverts on this page

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments I am getting adverts for a £ 160 65 litre glass aquarium on my Goodreads Groups page.
==
Interpet Aquaverse Glass Aquariums, Complete Beginner/Advanced Start Up Kit
by Interpet
Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JUYEVAM

==
What are Amazon trying to sell to you today?

message 2: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Broadband - I wouldn't be here without it! And books I don't want to read.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'm just getting sponsored book adverts.

Wouldn't buy them as they've got those Terribly Long Titles (with a sentence in brackets giving information that should be in the blurb)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments One of the titles actually has the number 4 instead of the word 'for' in the title.

I H8 that.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22039 comments Daughter suggested I install adblock.
At that point I realised I didn't notice adverts anyway :-)

message 6: by M.P. (last edited Oct 08, 2016 04:39AM) (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments Goodreads is owned by Amazon, you'd have thought that a little rocket science would allow them to promote books from our "want to read" list that are on special offer, or have lots of good new reviews, or are moving up the sales ranking.

Maybe it isn't rocket science.

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments P&O ferries cheap trips to Calais. Don't recall ever seeing an Amazon ad, but I'm pretty oblivious to them anyway. I only looked at this one because of this thread.

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Amazon Fashions! One look at me will confirm I don't 'do' fashions!

message 9: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments @kat would you be interested in a second hand, as new, 65 litre aquarium?

message 10: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Today it's Stephen King's book "Finders Keepers". The hardback version for twenty quid.

Which is a bit odd as I haven't bought any hardback fiction for ages. Or any Stephen King.

message 11: by M.P. (last edited Oct 08, 2016 05:55AM) (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments @will at least they seem to understand that you can read (and buy books). :)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments They don't care if you read 'em as long as you buy 'em.

message 13: by M.P. (last edited Oct 08, 2016 05:53AM) (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments My nephew, who works at a digital marketing agency, says that it is a rational commercial decision based on the cost to Amazon of a click and the margin they make from the sale.

So it makes more economic sense for them to advertise a £160 aquarium, that I won't click on, than a 99p kindle download that I might.

Still seems a bit weird.

message 14: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Makes perfect sense. The time I tried Amazon advertising, I wound up paying lots of money for loads of clicks that never amounted to anything. Complete waste of time (and money).

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) I'm being offered a Model Scania Truck for £57

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003EEMIU...

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ooooo!

Get me one for Christmas! Please???

message 17: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments Yes, I need one too! :))

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) ........they're on the shopping list - anyone else want one???

message 19: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments @Flo do you want an aquarium?

Interpet Aquaverse Glass Aquarium Fish Tank - 65 Litre

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JUYEVAM/

message 20: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Bleugh. Now I'm being offered "The secret footballer: Access all areas". No thanks. It's supposed to be a scandalous expose of what really goes on in professional football, but I read the first book in the series and it was dull, dull, dull. Didn't tell you anything you didn't know or could read in the back pages of any newspaper.

message 21: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments Now being offered a Grammar Checking Tool (checks anxiously back through previous posts for glaring errors...) Aint nuffing wrong wot I can see!

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) M.P. wrote: "@Flo do you want an aquarium?

Interpet Aquaverse Glass Aquarium Fish Tank - 65 Litre

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JUYEVAM/"

I'll see your Aquarium and up your bid with a "walk-in shower enclosure".

message 23: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments @Flo: stocking filler maybe? ;-)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments M.P. wrote: "@Flo: stocking filler maybe? ;-)"

What size do you think Flo's stockings are?

message 25: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments 65 litres?

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Oi - I'm a delicate size 12 litres, admittedly - I'm still growing, but .........

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Have you been borrowing Nora Batty's again?

message 28: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments 65 litres = 87 bottles of wine (give or take a glass)

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern wrote: "Have you been borrowing Nora Batty's again?"

.........she didn't give them back when she borrowed them off me!

message 30: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments I just noticed how weird the adverts that Twitter push at me:

"For every tunnel there is a silver, well, grey lining... Find out more about our sprayed concrete"

https://mobile.twitter.com/cemex_uk/s...

That 65L aquarium is looking good.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments Ive noticed I get sponsored Amazon ads on Facebook of the items I've looked at or put on a wish list. There's a link there obviously.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yeah, following links GL posts makes my Facebook adverts interesting.

message 33: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments I've just had an ad for British Airways. Last time I flew, the plane had outside toilets!

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Yayy - I've got a Cruise to the Med., Spain and Portugal!

message 35: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Makes me wonder what I'm missing.

message 36: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments I suspect that Twitter tried to sell me spray-on concrete tunnelling systems because my book is set on a train and I occasionally tweet about the Trans-Siberian Railway.

Or maybe they think that spray-on concrete systems should feature as the killer's method in my next book?

message 37: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments ...on-line adverts as writing prompts!! :-))

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Yeah, following links GL posts makes my Facebook adverts interesting."

Oh yeah? Well try this one then!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Homgaty-Rect...

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Up your's.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Up your's."

I'll let you know how effective it is...

message 41: by Chris (new)

Chris Robb (chrisrobb) | 1738 comments T4bsF (Call me Flo) wrote: "Yayy - I've got a Cruise to the Med., Spain and Portugal!"

Does it still count as a cruise if you have to do the rowing?

message 42: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments @patti yours + mine = 50 shades of spray on concrete

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments Hehehehe!

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Chris wrote: "T4bsF (Call me Flo) wrote: "Yayy - I've got a Cruise to the Med., Spain and Portugal!"

Does it still count as a cruise if you have to do the rowing?"

Not sure - but that sort of system seemed to work for The Flintstones!

message 45: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 31 comments Home video of Flo's Mediterranean cruise:

https://youtu.be/ax7wcShvrus

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Heehee!!

message 47: by Chris (new)

Chris Robb (chrisrobb) | 1738 comments No seat at the captain's table then, Flo? Shouldn't have booked that cruise through those cheap Amazon ads!
Remember, there is only one absolutely certain cure for seasickness.

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Don't go to sea??????

message 49: by Chris (new)

Chris Robb (chrisrobb) | 1738 comments Sit under a tree. Works every time. I guarantee it.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Chris wrote: "Sit under a tree. Works every time. I guarantee it."

Brilliant!

« previous 1