THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Experience with SELF-­e program

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Goerl | 137 comments Anyone have experience using the SELF-­e program? I came across it in a Bookbaby blog and I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting involved. You offer your ebook, which goes into a digital library collection in your state (the best get an award and are distributed worldwide). The plus side is, there's a link with the book that allows patrons to easily buy the hardcopy. The downside is that--as far as I can tell--there's no restriction on how many e-copies can end up in circulation through it, so your ebook sales could dry up completely, if people are smart.

message 2: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 618 comments Personally I wouldn't touch anything to do with Bookbaby, I think their charges are outrageous.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 347 comments I have a permafree short story that was accepted by SELF-e early on. (FYI, it's not connected with BookBaby at all, but it's a program developed by Library Journal/ALA).

The biggest issue, of course, is that authors get no royalties from SELF-e. Also, libraries are perfectly happy with Overdrive and don't want to pay for another system, so SELF-e adoption will be slow.

message 4: by Gerry (new)

Gerry (gerrydowndoggmailcom) | 60 comments Thanks for sharing. I like the idea of being in libraries but it doesn't sound like that is the best way.

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Goerl | 137 comments Ken wrote: "I have a permafree short story that was accepted by SELF-e early on. (FYI, it's not connected with BookBaby at all, but it's a program developed by Library Journal/ALA).

The biggest issue, of cour..."

Our library uses Overdrive, which, like a physical library, only has so many "copies" on the "shelf." (Unfortunately, if you want to read offline you HAVE to use Adobe Acrobat, because there's stuff in the formatting that third-party PDF readers can't process.) And like I said, SELF-e doesn't seem to have a similar curb on the number of copies that can exist.

message 6: by Wendy (last edited Oct 07, 2016 02:54PM) (new)

Wendy Goerl | 137 comments A.W. wrote: "Personally I wouldn't touch anything to do with Bookbaby, I think their charges are outrageous."

*Facepalm*
Just because it was mentioned in a Bookbaby blog doesn't mean it's a Bookbaby product. And their charges aren't out of line with Xlibris or Zulu.