Books of Literature by Nobel Prize Winning Authors: 2020 Challenge discussion

The Beautiful and Damned
This topic is about The Beautiful and Damned
The Beautiful and the Damned > The Beautiful and Damned: Book Three

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dianne comments on book 3 :)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments I have finished the book. By the end I was very disappointed in the story. I found the story quite depressing and sadly none of the characters very likeable.

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments A quote from the book: A classic is a successful book that has survived the reaction of the next period or generation.

Based on this definition I would say that the book is not a classic.

Dianne Do you know what Tracey? I am so glad that you also hated the book, ha!! I was reading more about Fitzgerald and I think because of his depression and alcoholism his writing was wildly inconsistent. I think some of this story was actually based on his own life. Well, on to the next real classic!!

Dianne Have you experienced reading other authors with this degree of inconsistency? Usually if I like an author I like all of their books. Not here though!

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments The science fiction author Frank Herbert wrote the classic Dune, which I really enjoyed. I read the first two sequels and thought no. 2 was okay, but no. 3 was terrible. I didn't bother reading any more of them.

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Dianne wrote: "Have you experienced reading other authors with this degree of inconsistency? Usually if I like an author I like all of their books. Not here though!"

The main one I can think of is To Kill a Mockingbird and Go Set a Watchman I loved the first and hated the second.