2-3-4 Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - Group Reads > 2017 Series Group Read - Voting

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10636 comments Mod
The polls are up and ready for you to vote for the two series you'd like to see us read as a group in 2017.

We have two polls to allow everyone an opportunity to cast two votes. You are allowed one vote per series (you cannot vote for a series more than one time). The two series with the most votes will be selected as our group reads for 2017.

Voting will be open through October 20, 2016. The links are below.

Poll #1
Poll #2

message 2: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments This is so hard!

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

I'll say!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments The positive side is you can't really go wrong. I either have read it (and liked it) or want to read it lol.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2243 comments It was very hard to narrow my voting down to just two series.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Agreed it was hard to decide on just two. There were so many great choices.

message 7: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 601 comments I voted for one series I read years ago, and one I looked up on goodreads.

message 8: by Anita (last edited Oct 07, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 2364 comments FYI you can change your vote at any time after your initial vote. If you voted for a book that has only one vote, you may want to rethink that decision. Just check "change your vote" at the bottom of the poll.

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Anita, we really ask that you not do that here.

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 2364 comments I missed that in the rules and regs for this group. I don't know what the big deal is. If the series you originally voted for has no chance you should have the option to change your vote up until the end of voting and see how your vote impacts the outcome. This is a commitment for at least a year and everyone should be able to make sure they have the maximum input possible.

message 11: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 08, 2016 05:42PM) (new)

It's called gaming the system so you won't find that in "rules & regs," which we don't have. I don't know how else to explain it. I can appreciate your comments but it's just not fair to manipulate the voting process.

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Jonetta, I completely respect your decision as you do an amazing job administering this group however I feel that I cannot let this go by without adding my two pence worth…

I can actually see Anita’s point in that if your vote is the only one for a series then it feels a “wasted” vote and a person may want to change it to another series. I have to confess that I did this last year. I changed it to another series which I was very willing to read at the time. To me if a person changes their vote to another series that they are willing to read but is more popular then I do not see it as a problem. If the person was changing their vote to a series that they did not want to read to influence the results then I think this would be a problem. Granted, it would be very hard to prove one way or another but I would hope that the vast majority of this group would do the right thing.

As a side, I have voted for my 2 series and would not change them no matter what this year. These are the only 2 series which I think I could have any chance of keeping up with next year! I learnt from last year it is a bigger commitment than I thought!

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Most moderators in other groups hide the results of the voting during the process. I've always been an advocate of keeping them open, allowing others to see who's voting for what. I never considered that members would be adjusting their votes in the interim to better influence the outcome.

I understand your perspective, Tracey, but still maintain that this would be chaotic and manipulative if everyone checked daily to adjust their vote, especially when given the directive to do so. This goes against the spirit of the effort where members should be casting their vote for what they want to read.

Here's what I'm going to do since you and others feel you'd like another opportunity to have a second chance at those with the most popular votes. I'll conduct another round with the top ten for final consideration.

message 14: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Jonetta wrote: "Here's what I'm going to do since you and others feel you'd like another opportunity to have a second chance at those with the most popular votes. I'll conduct another round with the top ten for final consideration. ."

Perfect compromise! Thank you.

message 15: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments It will be a nice surprise on the 21st to see what the top 10 are :-)

message 16: by Keren (new)

Keren | 7 comments I support keeping the results blind and then having a new vote for whatever comes out on top 10 since it's probably a list people might not have considered.

I feel like it takes the pressure off a bit, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for all the hard work :-)

message 17: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 2364 comments I feel the results should be open and the voters should have the option of changing their vote if they choose. You only get one vote and you should have the right to use it however you want. If the series I voted for has next to no chance of winning and the top ones are only separated by one or two votes, I would like the opportunity to choose which of the top series I want to vote for.

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

Anita, I have heard your opinion, made a modification and the matter is closed.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Thanks for taking in everyone's viewpoint for a great compromise, Jonetta :) I do lean toward blind results. I too cannot wait to see the results.

message 20: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 601 comments I'm looking forward to 20th and chance to vote for the "finals."

message 21: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 21, 2016 05:14AM) (new)

****The poll is up for the final vote featuring the top 9 series from our first round.****

They represent all series that received 4 or more total votes. The two series with the most votes will be our group reads beginning in 2017.

The poll will be open until 12:00 midnight on October 28, EST.

2017 Group Series Read - Final Vote

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

Combined Results - Votes 1 & 2
Kate Burkholder by Linda Castillo 9
Cork O'Connor by William Kent Krueger 8
Rizzoli & Isles by Tess Gerritsen 7
Bullet Catcher by Roxanne St. Claire 7
Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris 6
Maiden Lane by Elizabeth Hoyt 5
Killer Instincts by Elle Kennedy 4
Codex Alera by Jim Butcher 4
Dark Tower by Stephen King 4
Gaslight Mystery by Victoria Thompson 3
Lord Peter Wimsey by Dorothy Sayers 3
Last Chance Rescue by Christy Reece 2
Georgina Kincaid by Richelle Mead 2
Iron Druid by Kevin Hearne 3
KGI by Maya Banks 2
Psy-Changeling by Nalini Singh 3
Cedar Cove by Debbie Macomber 2
Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig 3
Southern Comfort by Lisa Clark O'Neill 2
Fool's Gold by Susan Mallery 3
Allie Beckstrom by Devon Monk 2
Elemental Blessings by Sharon Shinn 0
Cut & Run by Abigail Roux 2
New Orleans by Lisa Jackson 1
Griffin Powell by Beverly Barton 1
Sentinel Wars by Shannon K. Butcher 1
The Greywalker by Kat Richardson 0
Lincoln Rhyme by Jeffery Deaver 2
Tony Hill/Carol Jordan by Val McDermid 0
Jonathan Stride by Brian Freeman 3
The Saga of Recluce by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. 0
Quinn Colson by Ace Atkins 1
Bryant and May by Christopher Fowler 0

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Thank you again for all your hard work, Jonetta :)

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

No prob!

message 25: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Thanks Jonetta. So many great choices.

message 26: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 601 comments I voted!

message 27: by Jonetta (new)

We can't go wrong with any of them.

message 28: by MsChris1161 (new)

MsChris1161 (chris1161) | 17 comments Thanks Jonetta!

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

The results are in! Our two series selected are:

Bullet Catcher by Roxanne St. Claire
Cork O'Connor by William Kent Krueger

We will begin both series in January.

message 30: by Deb (new)

Deb (deb605) This will be my first series by Roxanne St. Claire, I'm really looking forward to it.

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

I've read the first three books in the series and enjoyed them. And, I'm a big fan of her Barefoot Bay series.

message 32: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments I look forward to reading the Cork O'Connor series!

message 33: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Me too Veronica! I hear they are really good!

message 34: by Jonetta (new)

I read the first book and loved it!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments I have wanted to continue with Bullet Catchers so that will awesome! And, since you (Jonetta) recommended the first book in the Cork O'Connor I have that on my list as well.

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments I haven't heard of either series. I'll have to study them and pick one to read with the group.

message 37: by Jonetta (new)

I've provided some background about both, including the authors, in the new topics set up for each series.

message 38: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 441 comments I haven't read either series but was excited I can get both books on Scribd

message 39: by Jonetta (new)

Oh, that's good news!

St. Claire switched to self publishing about two years ago so it doesn't surprise me that her books are there.

message 40: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Jonetta wrote: "I've provided some background about both, including the authors, in the new topics set up for each series."

Thanks Jonetta. I'll check out the topics.

message 41: by Jonetta (new)

Here are the links!

Bullet Catcher

Cork O'Connor

message 42: by Jonetta (new)

Stephanie, I think you'll enjoy.

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2204 comments I own most of the Bullet Catcher books so I'm happy this won. The other I will pass.

message 44: by Viki (new)

Viki (vikir) | 638 comments I think I might try Cork O' connor with you guys in January as my library has it and I will see if I will like it or not. Never heard of the author but hopefully I will like it.

message 45: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "I own most of the Bullet Catcher books so I'm happy this won. The other I will pass."

Yay! Glad you'll be joining in.

message 46: by Jonetta (new)

Viki wrote: "I think I might try Cork O' connor with you guys in January as my library has it and I will see if I will like it or not. Never heard of the author but hopefully I will like it."

Fingers crossed!

message 47: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne | 289 comments I'm going to join in on Cork O'Connor too. Like Viki my library has it, or most of them anyway.

message 48: by Jonetta (new)

Was hoping you would, Phrynne!

message 49: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne | 289 comments You know me. I'm a seriesaholic.

message 50: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2243 comments I've read the first couple books in the Bullet Catchers series and wanted to get back to them. This will give me a chance.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.