A challenge of relative ease and merriment discussion

Fall check in

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pocki (new)

Pocki | 56 comments Mod
Hey guys, how's everyone doing?
Summer's over and hopefully you've all read some great books!

So, what have you managed to get done so far?
What's left?
Are there any specific genres/challenge items that you are particularly struggling with?

Three months to go, we can do this!

message 2: by Pocki (new)

Pocki | 56 comments Mod
I just went through the list and updated mine. This is what it looks like now:

a book written by a woman - Chimera by Mira Grant
a book written by a man - The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
a book released in 2016 - In the Labyrinth of Drakes by Marie Brennan
a book released before you were born - The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (1981, I was born in 1987)
a non-fiction book - Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
a book for children - Leo: A Ghost Story by Mac Barnett
a YA book - The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi
a book for adults - Fellside by M.R Carey
a microhistory - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
a romance - Casting Spells by Barbara Bretton
a book of fantastical fiction - Star Wars: Before The Awakening by Greg Rucka
a mystery - Spells and Scones by Bailey Cates
a graphic novel - The Saga of Rex by Michel Gagné
a collection of short stories - The Heart of Aces by a bunch of authors
an award winning book - Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond (Pulitzer + others)

Left:
a book of contemporary fiction
a book of historical fiction
a book you acquired before the start of 2016 but never got around to reading
a book recommended by someone you know
a banned book

I have an abundance of non-fiction (and microhistories) and fantastical fiction for sure. And it seems like most are written by women. I also decided to go for the most prestigious book award apparently haha.
I'm currently reading a book recommended to me, and one I acquired in 2015 and been meaning to read since before it even came out. So at least those two should get done soon enough. Contemporary fiction is something I pretty much never read so that will have to be a very conscious choice.

message 3: by Cathrin (new)

Cathrin | 14 comments Hi! Here's my list:
a book written by a woman: M Train by Patti Smith
a book written by a man: Nora Webster by Colm Tóibin
a book released in 2016: Shylock is my name by Howard Jacobson
a book released before you were born: Astragal by Albertine Sarrazin (released in 1964, I was born in 1974)
a non-fiction book: Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks
a book for children: The white cat and the monk by Jo Ellen Bogart
a YA book: Library of souls by Ransom Riggs
a book for adults: The children act by Ian McEwan
a microhistory: The life and death of smallpox by Ian Glynn
a mystery: Disclaimer by Renée Knight
a graphic novel: Farewell (Fables, #22) by Bill Willingham
a collection of short stories: Eleven kinds of loneliness by Richard Yates
an award-winning book: The lightning thief by Rick Riordan (loads of awards)
a book of contemporary fiction: Dept. of speculation by Jenny Offill
a book of historical fiction: Sudden death by Álvaro Enrigue
a book of fantastical fiction: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Left:
a book you acquired before 2016 but never got around to reading
a book recommended by someone you know
a banned book

I'm also currently reading a book recommended by a friend - it's a book on cooking, but I guess that counts. I have a few books I got before 2016 on my short-list. A banned book though, there's a problem. Mainly because I wanted to find one I already own. I think Hans Fallada's Wolf unter Wölfe was banned. I have to look him up. I know a few of his books were banned.

This challenge is really fun, I think. I absolutely love getting book recommendations.

message 4: by Cathrin (last edited Oct 06, 2016 07:10AM) (new)

Cathrin | 14 comments No, Fallada wasn't banned. Is this going to be the year when I finally read Ulysses? Somehow I don't think so. It would take me the rest of the year to prepare.
But, as it turns out, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was banned. Case closed.

message 5: by Marissa (last edited Oct 06, 2016 08:29AM) (new)

Marissa (mrsboothroyd) | 1 comments My list so far:
a book written by a woman - Living Like a Runaway by Lita Ford
a book written by a man - The Fireman by Joe Hill
a book released in 2016- The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware
a book released before you were born - Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
a non-fiction book - Poirot and Me by David Suchet
a book for children - Kid Presidents: True Tales of Childhood from America's Presidents by David Stabler
a YA book - Matilda by Roald Dahl
a book for adults- The Yellow Sign & Other Stories by Robert W. Chambers
a microhistory / social history of just one thing - I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution
by Craig Marks, Rob Tannenbaum
a fantastical book (fantasy, sci fi, supernatural, etc) - Fellside by M.R. Carey
a mystery- The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) by Agatha Christie
a graphic novel- Viking: The Long Cold Fire (Vol.1) by Ivan Brandon
a book you acquired before the start of 2016 but never got around to - Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho
a collection of short stories - The Witness for the Prosecution and Other Stories by Agatha Christie
a banned book - His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman

Still left (maybe):
a romance
an award winning book
a book of contemporary fiction
a book of historical fiction
a book recommended by someone you know (friends, family etc)

message 6: by Pocki (new)

Pocki | 56 comments Mod
Marissa wrote: "a fantastical book (fantasy, sci fi, supernatural, etc) - Fellside by M.R. Carey"

I like that we both managed to put the same book on the list, but in completely different categories XD

Also, well done both of you!

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (kittennuisance) | 29 comments I finished in May! . . . I thought about making an "I'm finished" post, but that seemed a little braggy, though my intention was just to talk about what I'd read and how I strategized to make later categories "reach" a little. (For instance, my last three categories were Fantastical Concept, Before I Was Born, and Written By A Man. . . and then I read one book that could have filled any of the three, so I could narrow it down at the end to more what I felt like reading, instead of having categories to fill that wouldn't overlap, like Microhistory and Contemporary Fiction.)
I think all of you guys have read more books than me this year, so it's not that I'm reading more; I just really got into picking books based on the challenge!! ^_^

The best book I read because of the challenge was The Grapes Of Wrath, though there were a lot of great books, and books I'd been putting off reading for too long! I would love to do a challenge again next year. . . I wrote down several titles for each category and haven't come close to reading them all. ^_^

message 8: by Pocki (new)

Pocki | 56 comments Mod
Wow Laura! You were fast! Congrats :D

So far this challenge hasn't actually made me actively choose a book. It did push me a little to read (well, listen to) Guns, Germs, and Steel when I saw the Pulitzer sticker. I've been meaning to read it for years so now I thought "yes good. It won't feel like a copout". But considering there's only three months left of the year I'll probably push myself to find some books to fill the last few categories.

I was actually thinking of doing this challenge again but change out some of the categories, if people would be interested. Keep some of the basics, but switch out some. I'd probably add biography for example. And maybe even audiobook. Maybe media tie in? A book written before 1900?

message 9: by Cathrin (new)

Cathrin | 14 comments I'd love to continue with a challenge in 2017! I thought about biography/memoir, too. A book written before 1900 is also a good idea. Maybe a book of poetry? Or is that too foreign a category for most people? I once started a challenge called reading bingo that I found on Facebook. There are a few; the one I started is from Random House and comes up among the first in a search if you want to check it out. I'm not computer-skilled enough to get a link. Sorry. One interesting category there is book written by someone under 30.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (kittennuisance) | 29 comments Thanks! You've been a faster reader; I'm just obedient. Haha.

I love the idea of doing another challenge! I don't normally read poetry, but I don't normally read romance or historical fiction, either. ^_^ I would try new things for the challenge! I really like the author age idea, too. (Maybe a famous author's first book, or a famous author's last book?)

message 11: by Pocki (new)

Pocki | 56 comments Mod
I think like a poetry/drama would be great! Means that if you don't like poetry, maybe you'd like reading a play? I bunch em together in my shelving anyway haha.

Under the age of 30 is a really good idea too!