Time Travel discussion

Time Travel TV Shows > Frequency

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments my review of first episode (no spoilers) http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2016...

message 3: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1097 comments So Goff suddenly disappears, but the injuries she sustained to her face during their fight remain? How does that work?

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments Frequency already established that Raimy has memories of everything the time-travel (of information from the future to the past, and the consequent actions) has erased, so I'd assume that changes to her body - including facial injuries - endure as well.

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven | 40 comments Just watched the first two episodes. I was remarking to the wife how similar this was to timeless in we have a young female lead and events they change affect her history, although she remembers the other history. The difference being she is on her own, so far anyway. The problem with Frequency is I can see them running out of time if you get what I mean.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments The big difference is that Frequency has a much smaller, more personal tableaux, in contrast to Timeless, in which the team strives to prevent or control major historical events.

message 8: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
I am enjoying frequency a lot more than timeless I see similarities sure but I feel like the biggest difference between the two is the quality of acting.

I suppose I have a threshold of unbelief but timeless does not suck me in the way frequency does. Perhaps that goes along with your point Paul, frequency is more personal more emotional.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments Yes - I'm enjoying both, but the two have very different kinds of appeal.

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 1047 comments Mod
Is this a new show? When is it on?

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments Wednesday evenings, 9pm, on the CW network.

message 14: by Nancy (new)

Thanks!

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Well episode 1 & 2 are no longer available OnDemand.
:(

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments My reviews provide better-than-nothing summaries.

message 17: by Tej (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
Nancy wrote: "Well episode 1 & 2 are no longer available OnDemand.
:("

I watch this series on Netflix (i actually thoughts its only available on Netflix being its own production). If you dont subscribe to them, I think you can join it free for one month. Watch the first few episodes on there, close the account then continue through OnDemand....its a fantastice series, worth the effort :)

message 18: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 427 comments I watched the whole 6 episodes on the weekend,( on Netflix) I really was enjoying it. Why only 6 episodes, I hope they plan to make more.

message 19: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments There are a least 11 episodes in this first season. They air on the CW network in the U.S., where the most recent episode last week was 1.6. What you're seeing on Netflix UK is due to a special deal, in which this CW US series is shown at the same pace as in the U.K., not streamed all at once.

message 20: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 427 comments Ok -that is good to know. I am in Canada, so it is probably same deal they don't want to pre-empt what is being shown on CW in the US.
I did feel like it was left in the middle and was not a good place to leave off a season.

message 21: by Nancy (new)

I am hoping it will go to Netflix in the US once the season ends.

message 22: by Nancy (new)

I just checked the CW website and downloaded their app. I can see it on my iPad using their app.

I wonder if they have an app for laptop so I can watch it on the TV?

message 23: by Nancy (new)

I saw the first episode. I liked it a lot.

message 24: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments Both the original movie and now the TV series are one of the most quietly memorable time-travel stories I've encountered.

message 25: by Nancy (new)

There was a movie?

message 26: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments Yes, released in 2000.

message 27: by Tej (last edited Nov 16, 2016 08:29AM) (new)

Nancy wrote: "There was a movie?"

The movie was very good (starred Jim Caviezel and Denis Quaid) and I guess hence why we have a tv series. It was an excellent thriller, heartwarming but I personally felt disappointed with its finale and logic.

The overall plot is actually very much the same with surprisingly very little deviation (except in the film it was a son and father and of course in the TV series, extra sub plots are introduced each week). But the story arc is actually the same (just a slight difference in the target victim)...so far.

If the TV series continues to follow through the main story arc of the movie, I would actually recommend you dont watch the movie if you want to fully enjoy the unravelling of the TV series and very fine performances from the two lead stars. Although unfair to compare a TV series to a movie, I rate the tv series a little higher for its badassery, nuanced performances and narrative progression.

On the other hand, having seen the movie, it isnt really preventing me from enjoying the TV series and despite knowing how the movie ended, I am still in suspense if the TV series will conclude story arc in the same way.

message 31: by Nancy (new)

I am almost caught up. I think I only got to watch half of episode 8.

Some thoughts on Raimy have two sets of memories. I think I would like to see her forget the other timeline each time they change the future since she doesn't actually travel back in time. Her dad would remember he talks to her and when he uses the radio he should have to convince Raimy he is in the past. Then they can continue on with whatever they need to do.

I just don't understand how she could have both sets of memories when she stayed in the future,

message 32: by Tej (new)

Nancy wrote: "I am almost caught up. I think I only got to watch half of episode 8.

Some thoughts on Raimy have two sets of memories. I think I would like to see her forget the other timeline each time they ch..."

Its a great point and it is something the writers would be well aware of.

I am glad they did it the way they did though and frankly its probably the only way to do it to develop Raimy's character, motives, emotional responses and ultimately engage us by attachment to Raimy's journey and progression. Imagine if raimy lost all changes memories, how would she know there were changes? How would she emote to a change she isnt even aware of? Her communications with her father in the past would also have changed.

Her despair in changes that makes things worse wont exist and the series revolves around that moral dilemma. For strong narrative and emotional purposes, it helps a great deal for the protagonist to be aware of changes. Little things like raimy stalking her previous life boyfriend wouldnt happen and spice up the narrative for instance.

What the writers could do is to come up with some reason, even loosely, why she can retain alternate reality memories. In fact, they show they are aware of it early in the season when Raimy pondered to her father how she remembers the other reality. But when a writer cant think of a good reason they more than often leave it to us to make one up or fill in the gap!

So Nancy perhaps we come up with our own reason, what could cause her to retain alternate memories? :) perhaps by operating the CB radio, she absorbs that "special" ability. That would be my very loose "filler" explanation for now!

message 33: by Nancy (new)

I haven't come up with a good explanation but also figured her use of the radio must be her only way to retain them. How many sets of memories can she have if each time the timeline changes she gains another set of memories? Three? Five? A dozen? At some point she isn't going to know what memories are current timeline and which aren't.

I think there could still be that moral dilemma even if she forgot the other set of memories because now her dad would be the one telling her they need to prevent her mother's abduction. He would know his wife didn't get abducted the first time because of his conversations with Raimy before they prevented his death. So he could tell her how they changed the timeline and need to "fix" it.

message 34: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments review of Frequency 1.10 http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2017... the vice tightens

message 35: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments review of Frequency 1.11 http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2017...

message 36: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments review of Frequency 1.12 http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2017...

message 37: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments review of Frequency 1.13 http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2017...

message 38: by Nancy (new)

This is on Netflix now. I need to finish watching the last few episodes.

message 39: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Wow. There went 13 hours of my life. It's rare that a television show grabs me and makes me binge-watch. I have to admit that, by the end, I was trying to remember what had happened in the current reality, but the writers did a really good job of pulling the threads together on any temporary confusion questions.

Was anyone else suspecting who the Nightingale was from earlier on than the reveal? I like how the writers were able to make both (view spoiler)

I was wondering how they were going to wrap up the season so that it was left open for a 2nd season. I'd kind of hoped the storyline would have been shifted enough that (view spoiler)

message 40: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Oh, and one more question. In the original reality where Frank Sullivan dies in a shipyard in 1996, the Nightingale stops killing before he kills Julie Sullivan. What makes him stop killing? There's no explanation given for that. But doesn't (view spoiler) work at a shipyard? Is it the same shipyard where Frank was originally killed? If so, is there some connection there? Or does he feel sorry for Julie because her husband has just died and doesn't want to leave Raimy to be an orphan?

message 41: by Nancy (new)

I don't think he stopped killing. In the original timeline Julie Sullivan wasn't killed it was a different victim they just found. After Frank survived (and the timeline changed) she goes to work and discovers her mother is now the victim instead.

The original victim in the first time line was the nurse Susie that Julie (now new time line) offers to take blood samples from and Julie gets in the elevator with the Nightengale killer instead of Susie. Making Julie the victim instead.

message 42: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
In the first episode, Ramie was shocked to see a big picture on the wall of the Nightingale killer that wasn't there in the original timeline.

In the 2nd episode, she tells her father (about 2 minutes in when he's in the hospital and they're talking on the ham there) that, in the original timeline the Nightingale stopped after his death. In the new timeline, he's killed 20 women since then.

So, what changed? Why did he stop killing people in the original timeline after killing Julie and not stop in the new timeline?

message 43: by Nancy (new)

In the original timeline he didn't kill Julie. He killed a different nurse. In the present of the original timeline they found a body, identified it as a nurse that had been missing. I don't know remember how long she had been missing.

Then the timeline changes because Frank survives. So that puts Julie at the hospital when the Nightengale is there when she probably was not at work that day in the original timeline. Think about it, her husband died on the job, she'd be at the funeral home making arrangements and not at work. She never would have been in that elevator that day in the original timeline.

When Raimy goes to work after the timeline changes she is shocked to find out the victim they just found is not the other nurse anymore but now her mom.

One change to the timeline has a cascading effect. Go back to the last episode, (view spoiler).

This show is pretty good. Even though no-one is physically time traveling there are still all kinds of time travel consequences because they are communicating and she is telling him about the future.

message 44: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
But they established at the end of the season that the Nightingale was (view spoiler)

message 45: by Nancy (last edited Mar 07, 2017 12:18PM) (new)

I guess we will never know the writers intention or they want different opinions.

The timelines kept changing. Didn't one time line Robbie gets killed running from Frank when Frank and Meghan find him? Then in another time line Raimy kills the deacon and has her badge taken away only to show up at work the next day and the deacon is still alive and she never shot him.

message 46: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Nancy wrote: "I guess we will never know the writers intention or they want different opinions.

The timelines kept changing. Didn't one time line Robbie gets killed running from Frank when Frank and Meghan fin..."

Keeping all those threads together as writers must have been crazy.

message 47: by Nancy (new)

Maybe they are more confused than we are.

message 48: by Tej (new)

Still yet to complete this, I have 3 episodes to go. Going to binge it over the weekend.

PLease dont forget to use spoiler tags in discussing plots, everyone.

message 49: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 791 comments Very satisfying epilogue to Frequency put up by CW online http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2017...

message 50: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited May 18, 2017 05:34PM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "Very satisfying epilogue to Frequency put up by CW online http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2017..."

Ah. I saw that they had an epilogue, but I assumed they were calling the final episode the epilogue since the series didn't get renewed. Thanks for the heads up that this is a new 4-minute ending. And it is perfect.