YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Hi there! I'm looking for a list of 10+ books that everyone should read as a teenager or adult! Thanks!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Chocoholic (new)

The Chocoholic I've already got To Kill a Mockingbird on my list.... What others can you guys think of?

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Clemons (writerscottjclemons) | 1 comments To Kill a Mockingbird would def be on the list, although I dunno where in the top ten. I'll just list 9 others, in no particular order, I think are crucial reads.

1. 7. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe -- The book that started me writing will always have a special place on the bookshelf in my soul. Non-religious readers might have some issues with the blatant Christian overtones but if they can get past that then they'll almost certainly love this adventure.

2. The Things They Carried -- Want a book that will make you get all goosebumpy? Then this is the one. The author, a Vietnam War veteran, writes from his combat experiences in Vietnam. It's straight up brutal, but I think in the current climate of expeditionary war we need more books taking an honest look at how war affects not just the soldiers we send to foreign lands but also the people we're sending them to fight. So good. Just so so good.

3. A Separate Peace -- Did you ever have that one friend growing up who everyone gravitated to? You know the one. They were ridiculously graceful and outgoing, friendly to everyone, and had the magnetic personality that made them oh so cool. This book looks at what happens when one-sided jealousy goes too far.

4. The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian -- This book is just good. So good. Like, really really good.

5. Fahrenheit 451 -- One of the original -- and best IMO -- dystopian society books. All the dystopian tropes are in which might generate a few eye-rolls, but the forbidden love is what sells it for me. Also, Bradbury is a friggen genius.

6. Charlotte's Web -- This book made me realize I have an abundance of feelings because I cried my little heart out throughout. Who knew a spider and a pig could become besties?

7. 1984 -- This book might seem a little heavy for teens but I think it's super relevant, especially for the post-9/11 world. I hope writing that doesn't put me on an NSA watchlist.

8. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- The humor is a teensy bit dry at times, but overall this book is an adventure in ridiculousness. Just remember to bring a towel.

9.Lord of the Flies -- Some people doubt the authenticity of a group of unsupervised kids digressing into wild savages? To these people I ask: Have you ever seen what happens when a 1st grade class has a substitute teacher?

message 3: by Ailbhe (new)

Ailbhe | 1 comments Jane Eyre, Harry Potter (the entire series), The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, Anne Of Green Gables, Never Let Me Go, The Hunger Games, Anna & The French Kiss, The Diary Of Anne Frank & The Book Thief

These Violent Delights (Robin) | 772 comments Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (None of the adaptations have ever done the book justice, not in the slightest)

I Am The Messenger & The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Preferably in audiobook form otherwise you won't get a much out of them)

message 5: by William (new)

William Irvine (oaghamdi55gmailcom) | 1 comments Siddartha by Hermann Hesse - it carries a profoundly optimistic message that young people sometimes need.

All the best

Bil

Ainhoareadsbooks | 30 comments The book thief and Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.