Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Tales of the Uneasy
This topic is about Tales of the Uneasy
Book Discussion Threads > Buddy read: Tales of the Uneasy by Violet Hunt

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Canavan (new)

Canavan We′re starting a buddy read of Tales of the Uneasy , a collection of short stories by Violet Hunt (1911). If you′re interested, feel free to join in. Read at your own pace. When posting, please use spoiler tags.

Some information on the author and book: According to the Wikipedia article on Hunt, the genre scholar E. F. Bleiler described the book as containing “[e]xcellent stories, in which the supernatural is used as a technical device to indicate ironies of fate and the intimate relationship of life and death”; and horror historian R. S. Hadji included it in a list of “unjustly neglected” horror books.

The collection can be freely found at both Google Books and at archive.org. See here for a summary of the relevant links. Ash-Tree Press published an electronic version of the book for $8 that also includes the stories from Hunt’s follow-up collection, More Tales of the Uneasy (1925). It can be found on Amazon’s web site; see here.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 15 comments Canavan wrote: "We′re starting a buddy read of Tales of the Uneasy, a collection of short stories by Violet Hunt (1911). If you′re interested, feel free to join in. Read at your own ..."

Yay!

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 15 comments Starting tonight, and I'm looking forward to it.

message 4: by Canavan (new)

Canavan Thoughts on “The Telegram”.

(view spoiler)

✭✭✭

message 5: by Nancy (last edited Oct 12, 2016 02:33PM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 15 comments Canavan wrote: "Thoughts on “The Telegram”.

I had a bit of a tepid reaction to this story. I do think that it’s well written, but I’m still grappling with what to think about the its characters and larger themes ..."

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Canavan (new)

Canavan Nancy said (in part):

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 15 comments Canavan wrote: "Nancy said (in part):

As to the last line, my impression was that Alice meets with an unfortunate accident in the cab, which is why the nurse remembers taking down the cabman's number, and I quote..."

(view spoiler)

Currently reading "The Prayer."