What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Sci-Fi Fantasy - Cover has a Man in a backpack on the back of a bear. Bear named Traveller and one named Postman. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahBeth (new)

SarahBeth | 86 comments My brother is looking for this book. He said he read it before 1985 and it's probably a book from 60's or 70's. The cover has a man riding in a backpack on the back of a large (9 foot tall) bear. There was a bear named Postman because he delivered messages and a bear named Traveller. He says it read like Juvenile Heinlein or Murray Leinster. He doesn't think it's Andre Norton.

If he remembers more, he'll let me know.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Hiero's Journey & The Unforsaken Hiero, Hiero rides a moose & there are intelligent bears around. Hiero wasn't a postman, but on a quest. I last read them too long ago to give any other details, but they were pretty easy & reminded me somewhat of the authors you listed.

message 3: by SarahBeth (new)

SarahBeth | 86 comments Jim wrote: "Hiero's Journey & The Unforsaken Hiero, Hiero rides a moose & there are intelligent bears around. Hiero wasn't a postman, but on a quest. I last read them too long ago ..."

Thank you. I will pass on your suggestions and respond back if this is what he was looking for.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments Hiero's Journey is fantastic, but this is almost certainly one of Gordon R Dickson's books or stories about a human on a planet of giant humanoid bears. I'm not sure which stories are in which books or collections, but one is The Right to Arm Bears.

message 5: by SarahBeth (last edited Oct 05, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

SarahBeth | 86 comments Peter wrote: "Hiero's Journey is fantastic, but this is almost certainly one of Gordon R Dickson's books or stories about a human on a planet of giant humanoid bears. I'm not sure which stories are in which book..."

Spacial Delivery by Gordon R Dickson is the book that he was looking for specifically. Thank you so much. I'll mark this as solved

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Good call, Peter. I vaguely recall that novel. Must be time to reread some of his books. Thanks.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34456 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, SarahBeth. Here's the link - Spacial Delivery by Gordon R. Dickson.