THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Looking for Guest Short Stories for website.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Gamsby | 9 comments Hello fellow goodreads authors. I'm looking to do a little cross promotion by posting Short Stories by fellow indie authors on my website. I'm looking to post one a week but if there are a lot of people who want to do a guest post, I might up that to two. If this interests you or you'd like more information, please send me a dm or reply if you have a question that you think others might have too. Here is the description I posted on the website for how I envision this working (though nothing ever seems to go to plan):

Thanks for clicking the link! I think we should get some things out in the open right now:
This is a very new website which means that traffic isn't very high (50 to 100 page views a day as of September 30th 2016)
The website isn't generating any money, which shouldn't be surprising since there are no paid ads and so that means this can't be a paid posting.
The stories will be posted in html on the website, which means there is no type of DRM control. Anyone that reads the page will be able to copy and paste the story.

Even though there won't be any direct monetary compensation, that doesn't mean you won't benefit from posting a short story here (my website), especially if you are an independent author like me. The idea of having guest posts like this is that we can help each other attract attention in an increasingly diluted field while giving our readers valuable content to decide if they like us as authors without having to make the full commitment of reading a novel. The truth of the matter is, we need to give readers a reason to want to buy our paid content, they won't just buy a novel/book because there is something inherently special about us.

The short stories should be:
Under 3500 words, preferably between 500 to 2000.
Without excessive profanity
Not erotic fiction
Edited
High Quality (but not publication grade, if you could get money for a short story from somewhere, you should publish it there.)

What you should include for the page:
Story Title
Your Name/Pen Name
Preface (optional)
The short story
Where to read more of your work (e.g. personal website, Goodreads page, Amazon product page, Facebook page, Twitter page, etc etc)

If your work is posted please:
Link your short story on your website.
Let your fans know on social media

message 2: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Cronin | 114 comments This is an idea worth considering; short stories are hard to get published. What about rights? After you publish the story online on your website, do the rights remain with the author? Please explain.

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Gamsby | 9 comments Sheila wrote: "This is an idea worth considering; short stories are hard to get published. What about rights? After you publish the story online on your website, do the rights remain with the author? Please explain."

You maintain all copyrights to your stories and I'll take it down whenever you ask.

I'm just hosting it on my site, but like I said in the OP, I have no control over whether some random person online reads it, likes it, and then copy and pastes it somewhere. That is why I suggest not submitting something you are trying to get published.

message 4: by Magdel (new)

Magdel Roets (magdelroets) | 13 comments Looks like a good idea. Where do we send our stories?

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Robb (chrisrobb) | 12 comments Hi Christopher,
I'm up for that. I tried messaging you, but for some reason I get the following message:
Message not saved(Validation failed: To user was not found.).
I've tried:
Christoper W. Gamby
15396768.Christopher_W_Gamsby
Christopher_W_Gamsby
Any ideas for contacting you?
Thanks,
Chris

message 6: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Gamsby | 9 comments Chris wrote: "Hi Christopher,
I'm up for that. I tried messaging you, but for some reason I get the following message:
Message not saved(Validation failed: To user was not found.).
I've tried:
Christoper W. Gam..."

Sophia wrote: "Looks like a good idea. Where do we send our stories?"

Try writing me at (view spoiler). That's the email I use from my website. Thanks for showing some interest.

message 7: by G. (new)

G. Thayer (flboffin) | 115 comments Chris wrote: “Try writing me at [spoilers removed]. That’s the email I use from my website. Thanks for showing some interest."

[spoilers removed]? What kind of email address is that?

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Gamsby | 9 comments G. wrote: "Chris wrote: “Try writing me at [spoilers removed]. That’s the email I use from my website. Thanks for showing some interest."

[spoilers removed]? What kind of email address is that?"

If you click the spoiler button listed in the original post on goodreads, then my email address will display on your screen.

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 178 comments G,

I don't see any "[spoilers removed]" in this thread.

When I click on the "view spoiler" link in message 6, Christopher's email address pops up, along with a link to "hide spoiler"...which makes it invisible again.

I assume he's doing that because there are programs out there that review public posts like these, grab up visible email addresses and uses them for spamming. With the email address only being visible by someone clicking on the link, I think the odds are pretty high he's avoiding the spammers.

If you want to communicate with him and the spoiler link isn't providing you with an email address, you can always click on the "Christopher" link above one of his posts, and send him a private message.

Hope this helps.

Eric

message 10: by G. (new)

G. Thayer (flboffin) | 115 comments Eric: Yes, I discovered that. I was viewing the posts in Outlook, which did not provide a way to reveal the email address. When I went to an Internet display of the same page of posts, the email address appeared when I clicked on the “view spoiler” link.

To bad that Outlook does not provide a link there. But all’s well that ends well.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevingchapman) | 19 comments Great idea! I'll send you a private email. Please re-post the link to the web site where the stories can be viewed. There are so few outlets for short stories. Cool.

message 12: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Gamsby | 9 comments I'm worried that posting a link to the actual site will violate goodreads 'self promotion' policy, so I haven't listed the link here. There is a link to my website listed on my goodreads author page.