Obsessed with True Crime discussion

And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > True Crime Can Make You An Author...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (last edited Oct 04, 2016 04:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fishface | 13168 comments It just struck me as I was reviewing Oswald that the author might never have published anything book-length if he had not been so close to the JFK assassination. He went on to publish many other books, ranging from Zenarchy to The Idle Warriors. The same might be said of Vincent Bugliosi, Melanie Thernstrom, our very own Andy Brown and probably even Ann Rule. And let's not forget Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs, who never attempted anything longer than a lyric poem until one of their fellow Beats murdered another, leading to their penning And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks.

Does anyone know of any other names of authors who got started writing true crime and became established as authors because of it? I can't say that of Truman Capote even though In Cold Blood is the book everyone thinks of when they hear his name. (Besides, he considered the book a novel, so...oh, maybe I'm just splitting hairs.)

message 2: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1401 comments Not going to say for sure, but I think Mark Fuhrman (of O.J. Simpson fame) mostly writes about cases he has been involved with.

Fishface | 13168 comments Oh, I would agree about Mark Fuhrman. If not for the OJ case he would never have set pen to paper, I suspect.

message 4: by Shelley (last edited Oct 06, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Karen Kingsbury started out writing true crime and is now a best selling author of fiction. She is called a Christian novelist. I haven't read any of her stuff but I do have a copy of one of her true crime books. I haven't read it yet.

message 5: by Andy (last edited Oct 06, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Andy Brown | 17 comments I would have never written a book if I had not been involved in a high profile crime. I would have preferred that the crime never occurred and I remain in obscurity, but I am proud of the book.
Warnings Unheeded Warnings Unheeded by Andy Brown
Most likely wont author any other books though.

Fishface | 13168 comments That's a shame, Andy! You're a refreshingly good writer.

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy Brown | 17 comments Fishface wrote: "That's a shame, Andy! You're a refreshingly good writer."

Thank you!
It was an overall good experience, and I am excited to be published. However, with a full time job and a family, my wife would kill me if I started writing another book.
If that happened, maybe you could write a true-crime book about it.

Fishface | 13168 comments Andy wrote: "Fishface wrote: "That's a shame, Andy! You're a refreshingly good writer."

Thank you!
It was an overall good experience, and I am excited to be published. However, with a full time job and a famil..."

That would be my sorrowful honor. I always wonder about the authors who go on and on in their dedications to the constant support of their partners and children. Is it really that hard on everyone to have a member of the family write a book?

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy Brown | 17 comments Fishface wrote: Is it really that hard on everyone to have a member of the family write a book?"

I haven't completely neglected my family or job as I wrote and researched the book, which is one reason it took me so long to complete. However, I do look forward to being able to focus more of my mind and time on my family now that it is completed. For a while, it was an all consuming project.

Fishface | 13168 comments Well, you can congratulate yourself on a job very well done. It was worth it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.