Time Travel discussion

General Time Travel Discussion > Good idea for a book?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
Hello authors and members of the time travel group!

Have you ever found a long and complicated thread right here on time travel group or in goodreads at large? You feel like you have missed a discussion and sometimes its a very old and robust discussion over years. You chime in by adding a comment to a very large conversation but its like walking into a movie and the credits are rolling and you ask the question...What was the movie about?

What if the protagonist finds such a thread, and for whatever reason he recognizes the names and faces of individuals participating in the discussion...its all relatives and friends of his and they are discussing his life. He reads about a fishing Trip with his Cousin Tim in Minnesota...what a great trip and what a great memory....He continues to read...His latest birthday in late August what a party!

The thread continues into the future...beyond the point in which our protagonist is reading events from his own life....His whole life and even his death is spelled out by friends and family as comments on a thread...

Good idea for a book?

message 2: by Fabien (new)

Fabien Roy | 43 comments I would have kept that one for myself and logged it into stories to write when I finish the one I`m working on now. It would definitely make a great book or script. Imagine if by commenting he could change the outcome of certain events.

So many stories, so little time.

message 3: by Tej (last edited Oct 05, 2016 03:46PM) (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
Sound good Lincoln. How about write a short story on it yourself? Has a modern day twilight zone feel to it.

Fabien adds a nice spin to it, with changing past events from making comments, and poster then see the changes reflect in his present (like in Frequency) or this movie short.

Just one thing though, why would other commenters be talking about his life? We dont really talk of other peoples personal lives on forums, heck we dont even talk about our own personal lives on forums.

On Facebook, we certainly do that to a very cringeworthy level! (I really hate Facebook btw, lol) but not on forums. I think Facebook or equivalent would be the more appropriate platform for such personal discussions.

So the heart of your short story, would be the emotional impact your protagonist experiences in discovering what was said about him in the past and what he finds out about his fate in the future. What will be your rules? Will he be able to alter his fate or will the story be that whatever he posts, is what causes his present to be as it is...and consequently his fate.

A nice fun bit is when he starts posting in the future. How will others react? What kind of story twists (if any) can you integrate here.

I think you got a nice base idea to build on. Write it, Lincoln. Maybe start it off as a short story (as Brenda did with her Revise the World Book which she first wrote as a award winning short story then expanded into a novel).

Just go for it!

message 4: by Fabien (new)

Fabien Roy | 43 comments AS I LAY WRITING... It could be a forum where they are discussing the protagonist death... maybe that is the way that he finds out that he is dead.. it is a bit like «frequency... so many possibilities!

message 5: by Celso (new)

Celso Almeida | 41 comments There's a book with a similar plot: it's "The Future of Us". In this novel, a couple of teenagers in 1996 haa access tho their future selves Facebook pages, and every action they do affects what is written in their future profiles.

message 6: by Tej (last edited Oct 06, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Huh, I just remembered that I did actually time travel on this forum, 3 years ago! Here is my evidence

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Now where did I store that script....

message 7: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

So a little more insight into my idea....

I actually dreamed this...and after awaking I considered implications of who is writing the thread? Why does it continue beyond the protagonists present....

I know its been done but perhaps the protagonist is dead and he is remembering good memories for himself in the after life...and he is fixated on certain events in his life thus forgetting events of the future despite them already happened.

I thought about writing the whole story M. Night shamalyn style and have a kicker at the end that explains it all...Oh crap he see's dead people!!

message 8: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 544 comments Mod
I think it's a fun idea. Even if similar things have been tried, you can certainly put a new spin on it. That's the glory of writing.

message 9: by Fabien (new)

Fabien Roy | 43 comments They could all be dead and the thread site would be called FACEDEAD!!!

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian Duerden | 58 comments What if the narrator gets a little paranoid and begins to suspect that all Facebooks are inventions of someone or something creating reality? That the whole of social media is a complex construction of a false world that doesn't exist? There are no people. History began a only a few months ago... Sites creating a world history that never happened...

There might have been a history, just not the one he reads about. There might have been a geological world, just not the one he lives in. There may have been constellations, just not the ones he sees.

In short... the universe has been rebooted!

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan Greene (jankg) | 25 comments Interesting ideas, but I have to admit, they brought me back to some of my weed-enhanced conversations in college. lol

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kuhn (kevinkuhn) | 14 comments October 8, 2036

How ironic to come across this twenty year-old thread, especially in light of the recent passing of Lincoln. I think everyone would agree that it was an amazing 20 years for Lincoln before his death. Who knew back then that he would go on to write nine best selling novels and winning the Hugo and Nebula awards on top of that. I still remember President Obama shaking his hand. Michelle looked radiant that day. And that crazy incident on the Ellen Show, how embarrassing? Anyone else want to reminisce about the past twenty years of the life and times of Lincoln?

message 13: by Tej (new)

but he's still alive, Kevin. Stop reading The Enquirer, man. How the hell did that paper still survive the atrocious debacle of that Hitler article back in 2023, yet still is here to cause harm and deception.

Keep going Lincoln, and when is your next book out? I really enjoyed your last best seller about the guy who over slept so long, the universe was approaching the big rip. More like that please!

message 14: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Nice Kevin and Tej!

That was embarrassing on the Ellen show...how many times do we have to find Dory?