Play Book Tag discussion

Commonwealth
This topic is about Commonwealth
Archive: Other Books > Commonwealth by Ann Patchett -- DNF. Life it too short.

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited Oct 04, 2016 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7716 comments Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
DNF

I just can't force myself to read this book anymore. Life is too short. Reading should not be a chore that strikes fear in the hearts of (wo)men.

I didn't hate this book. I was actually intrigued by the inside flap blurb: a chance encounter among work colleagues leads to an affair and the blending of two families. This family story is revealed, in what is hinted to be less than accurate depiction (a little unreliable narrator action, maybe?), when one of the now-adult kids starts an affair with a famous author.

But this affair that seems like it should be a developmental device was only alluded to briefly at 50%. And it left me with horrid flashbacks of Atonement and how much I HATED THAT FREAKING BOOK. So perhaps death by association.

The story jumped around in a completely illogical manner. It was like being on a roller coaster; I literally got whiplash.

But ultimately, I just didn't care. I didn't care about the thin plot. I didn't care about the characters. I didn't care to finish the book.

And after I mini-internal battle between pushing through and chucking it across the room, I compromised and calmly returned it to the library this morning, having gotten through only about half.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8293 comments Hillarious and True!

message 3: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5506 comments Ohoh! Another to leave on the radar list.

I usually enjoy her writing but didn't feel compelled to read this.

message 4: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Oh too bad. I read Bel Canto and loved it, but I've never read another one of her books.

Susie | 4488 comments Oh no! That's disappointing. Another friend just read it and made her way through it but didn't love it either. Hmmmm.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8293 comments Just figured out how to take it OFF my TBR. Life is indeed too short.

message 7: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Yes too short. I just finished a book I didn't love but it was pretty short.

message 8: by Nicole D. (new) - added it

Nicole D. | 1476 comments I gave up on it as well, much earlier than Nicole but for similar reasons

message 9: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole wrote: "I gave up on it as well, much earlier than Nicole but for similar reasons"

Well if both Nicole's gave it up I am out since I align with both of you on liking certain books.

punxsygal | 270 comments Bummer. Thought I would like it, but now....

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6277 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I gave up on it as well, much earlier than Nicole but for similar reasons"

Well if both Nicole's gave it up I am out since I align with both of you on liking certain books."

I'm with Linda - - if both Nicoles didn't like it, there's no way.

message 12: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Ugh. I have it out from the library and will be starting it soon. This review along with Nicole R's comment fills me with dread.

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Will not be considering this book either....unless it ends up a f2f book but I strongly will speak against it. I did like Bel Canto.

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6926 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Oh too bad. I read Bel Canto and loved it, but I've never read another one of her books."

Same here.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7716 comments I do want someone else to give it a whirl. Mainly because I do not want the Nicoles to suffer alone..

message 16: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6926 comments Nicole R wrote: "I do want someone else to give it a whirl. Mainly because I do not want the Nicoles to suffer alone.."

Is it dark?

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7716 comments Nope. Not dark at all. At least not the parts I read.

message 18: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6926 comments Nicole R wrote: "Nope. Not dark at all. At least not the parts I read."

Hmm, not sure if this is the next Patchett I should try. I read Bel Canto at least 10 years ago.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Commonwealth (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ann Patchett (other topics)