YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Bone Sparrow
This topic is about The Bone Sparrow
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > The Bone Sparrow by Zana Fraillon -- Starting October 21st 2016

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Subhi is a refugee. Born in an Australian permanent detention center after his mother and sister fled the violence of a distant homeland, Subhi has only ever known life behind the fences. But his world is far bigger than that—every night, the magical Night Sea from his mother's stories brings him gifts, the faraway whales sing to him, and the birds tell their stories. And as he grows, his imagination threatens to burst beyond the limits of his containment.
The most vivid story of all, however, is the one that arrives one night in the form of Jimmie—a scruffy, impatient girl who appears on the other side of the wire fence and brings with her a notebook written by the mother she lost. Unable to read it herself, she relies on Subhi to unravel her family's love songs and tragedies.
Subhi and Jimmie might both find comfort—and maybe even freedom—as their tales unfold. But not until each has been braver than ever before.

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Please join Elizabeth and me in this buddy read!

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments YAY so excited!

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Elizabeth wrote: "YAY so excited!"
Me too! This has been getting some great reviews.

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments Alright, I went ahead and started (and finished) this read!

Going to leave my notes below, though I stopped writing things down after the 39% mark--my goooooodness, this book broke me!

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments (view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments 3%

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments 6%

(view spoiler)

EDITED:

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments 7%

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments 9%

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments 20%

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments 36%

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments 39%

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments And my review, if you're interested: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 15: by T.J. (last edited Nov 08, 2016 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments 2%
I started this, but I was moved so much just reading the prologue and a bit of the first chapter... I wasn't sure I was ready to continue.
(view spoiler)

message 16: by T.J. (last edited Nov 18, 2016 02:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Elizabeth wrote: "First and foremost: that dedication is GORGEOUS and has immediately become my favorite dedication of all time!"

I actually neglected to read the dedication, so I went back and did that now. Oh, wow! Fantastic! Maybe that should motivate me to keep reading, despite the difficult subject matter...

Elizabeth wrote: "Second, Disney-Hyperion has put out some amazeball reads this year. I'm SUPER excited to dive in to this one--I'm sure it'll be just as beautiful and boundary-pushing as the others I've read so far! "

Totally agree! If I can get my act together, I'd love to buddy read some more with you! (I'm curious. Which were your favorite Disney-Hyperion this year?)

message 17: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Elizabeth wrote: "3% [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 18: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Elizabeth wrote: "6% [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 19: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Elizabeth wrote: "7% [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 20: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Elizabeth wrote: "9% [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments TJ wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "First and foremost: that dedication is GORGEOUS and has immediately become my favorite dedication of all time!"

I actually neglected to read the dedication, so I went back and di..."

Oh boy. Some of my favorites have included:

--The Bone Sparrow (I gave it 5/5 Penguins!)
-- Holding Smoke by Elle Cosimano
-- The Cresswell Plot by Eliza Wass

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments TJ wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "3% [spoilers removed]"
Elizabeth wrote: "Okay, the descriptions of the food they're given? Stomach-churning. No wonder Subhi's mom isn't hungry often; I don't blame her. I wouldn'..."

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments TJ wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "6% [spoilers removed]"
Elizabeth wrote: "I think the hardest part of this read is going to be knowing that this can--and does--happen. That people are out there living just like t..."

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments TJ wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "9% [spoilers removed]"
Elizabeth wrote: "OH, perspective shift!

So who is Jimmie, and what role does she play in this story?"

At first I was relieved to have another perspective..."

(view spoiler)

message 25: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments I'm still plugging along. This is an amazing story -- I just can't take too much at once. I am definitely the target audience here. I know little about Burma or its ethnic groups, but I care deeply about the plight of refugees worldwide (especially children) and desire (need) to know more.

message 26: by T.J. (last edited Jan 19, 2017 06:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Elizabeth wrote: "36% [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 27: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Elizabeth wrote: "39% [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 28: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Oh boy. Some of my favorites have included:

--The Bone Sparrow (I gave it 5/5 Penguins!)
-- Holding Smoke by Elle Cosimano
-- The Cresswell Plot by Eliza Wass"

I loved Holding Smoke too. That was an exciting story with an original story line. Haven't read/finished the other two.

message 29: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 30 (86%)
(view spoiler)

message 30: by T.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Wow! That was a difficult read. But I'm glad I pushed through.

The Bone Sparrow was amazing -- tragic, heart-breaking, tear-jerking... yet hopeful, showing the power of friendship, family, love, story-telling, remembering...

I'm going to need some time to process this book.