The Bowie Book Club discussion

As I Lay Dying
This topic is about As I Lay Dying
October 2016 - As I Lay Dying > Reading discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The Reading Bibliophile | 564 comments Mod
Please mind the book part you are commenting on in order to avoid spoilers.

How's your reading going so far?

Rachel | 30 comments I was reading it on a Kindle and got annoyed by a whole lot of typo errors. It was already difficult enough to read with the dialogue! I thought perhaps there had been a technical glitch when it was converted to electronic form or downloaded so I bought a paperback copy and read in the notes that it had been published intentionally that way; Faulkner had written it in the stream of consciousness style - typos and all - and it was published with very few editorial changes. I believe the paperback is from a later, edited version but I haven't gone back to it yet. I will though because I find the story and characters very intriguing!

Rachel | 30 comments PS I bought the paperback copy at McNally Jackson Books when I was on in NY a couple of weeks ago on a bit of a Bowie pilgrimage :) I read that he liked that bookshop, as well as a HUGE one called Strand Books. He said about Strand Books that “It’s impossible to find the book you want, but you always find the book you didn’t know you wanted.” And he was right - I went in and asked for The Man Who Fell to Earth but it had sold out so I bought a slim volume of essays by Susan Sontag.
I had a fantastic trip. Here's a useful link I used: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/tra...

Rachel wrote: "PS I bought the paperback copy at McNally Jackson Books when I was on in NY a couple of weeks ago on a bit of a Bowie pilgrimage :) I read that he liked that bookshop, as well as a HUGE one called ..."

Thank you for sharing your trip with us :-) I was in Berlin twice this year but couldn't face a Bowie pilgrimage yet. His passing has left me with feelings still too raw to embark on such an adventure.

Oh yes, The Strand is the place to be in NYC for all book lovers. I love David's quote. So true.

I'm glad you enjoyed your pilgrimage and trip to the big Apple :-D

Rachel wrote: "I was reading it on a Kindle and got annoyed by a whole lot of typo errors. It was already difficult enough to read with the dialogue! I thought perhaps there had been a technical glitch when it wa..."

I haven't started it yet (I guess I'm not yet in the mood) but, oh no, I'm the discussion leader. Quick! I'll try and get some reading done in the next days....

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Garland (jennygarland) | 37 comments Afraid I didn't get too far with this book.....found the style intriguing but maybe just wasn't in the mood for it right now.....dowloaded on Kindle so maybe will give it another bash at a later date. Also it didn't help that I was thoroughly immersed in another book for my local book group.....The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng. However really looking forward to The Man Who Fell to Earth.

Jenny wrote: "Afraid I didn't get too far with this book.....found the style intriguing but maybe just wasn't in the mood for it right now.....dowloaded on Kindle so maybe will give it another bash at a later da..."

Same for me, Jenny, I'm afraid. I tried but to no avail. Was the other book worth it?
Rachel, did you eventually read it? Anyone else? Anyway the discussion thread remains open. Please feel free to read this masterpiece by Faulkner any time and come here to talk about it :-)

Adriana (momanem35) | 19 comments I'm beginning to think I'm a little out of place in this club! This has been hands down my favorite read so far. I've all but given up on Flaubert's Parrot.

I loved the writing, how we got into each character's head.

Is this thread spoiler free? If so, then please stop reading here!

At the end, when Darl narrated the portion from the mental hospital, I wondered if maybe he had imagined some of the parts he narrated earlier on. Particularly, since he's the one who described Addie's death scene, and he wasn't even there!

Samanta   (almacubana) | 183 comments I just started reading this and I can honestly say that I have no idea what's it all about. BUT, I decided I'm going to give it a try.