Old Books, New Readers discussion

The Turn of the Screw
This topic is about The Turn of the Screw
Archived > Turn of the Screw - Week 3 (October 2016)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (last edited Oct 03, 2016 09:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nicole Week Three: October 16 - 22

This week's reading covers Chapters 13 - 18

Feel free to leave your thoughts about this week's reading below as well as an discussion questions you may like to discuss.

Kimberly | 145 comments Finished this section. I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't just all in the narrarator's head... No one really comes out and says anything straight up. They all keep "beating round the bush," as the saying goes. So, is what she thinks is going on, really going on. There's got to be something though, since Miles was kicked out of school... Onto the last section. :)

Nicole I just finished Chapter Seventeen and, I agree, it seems odd that nothing is ever said outright.

The governess seems to have this built in excuse of hers that, if she were to say anything out loud concerning the presence of the ghosts, the children will somehow "win". Not really sure if I see the logic there ... Although, Mile's behavior/speech does seem to imply something going on. I can't tell if the conversations they're having are skewed because of what the governess believes is going on or if Miles real has something he's hinting at.

Regardless of what's actually happening, the governess is definitely an unreliable narrator. Ghosts or no, she's a dramatic personality without much common sense. IMO.

Paula At this point in my reading, I'm thinking these adult characters are pretty irresponsible. The guardian, for not wanting to be bothered with anything to do with the children. Mrs. Grose and the governess for just being full of words and no action. Someone should have notified the uncle when the boy was let go from his school. Why does the governess need to keep defending herself? Are these really just a couple of bratty kids pretending to the adults? Or are they truly naive/childlike? I want this book to be over. If there's 'mystery' or 'suspense' involved, I'm mystified and in suspense about when the adults will start acting like adults. Not liking this story much. Sorry.

Paula Nicole wrote: "I just finished Chapter Seventeen and, I agree, it seems odd that nothing is ever said outright.

The governess seems to have this built in excuse of hers that, if she were to say anything out lou..."

I agree.

message 6: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (mich2689) | 219 comments The more I read, the less I seem to trust the narrator.