Old Books, New Readers discussion

The Turn of the Screw
This topic is about The Turn of the Screw
Archived > Turn of the Screw - Week 1 (October 2016)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole Week One: October 2 - 8

This week's reading covers Chapters 1 - 6

Feel free to leave your thoughts about this week's reading below as well as an discussion questions you may like to discuss.

message 2: by Nicole (last edited Oct 05, 2016 02:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nicole First Thoughts: I will say that, at first, I struggled with the author's phrasing. It took a while to get used to the long winded sentences with multiple interjections, but I think I'm finally getting ahold of it.

I've just finished Chapter Three and the man in the tower is absolutely creepy! James does a very good job setting the scene, with the hush that fell over the narrator and the intensity of the man's gaze.

Nicole Oh my goodness, the man in the window! I had to put the book down for a moment and collect myself before reading on.

I had a peeping tom once in University and I can say, unless you've experienced it, suddenly realizing someone is looking in at you is more terrifying than you can imagine. Very definitely one of the most frightening experiences of my life. I distinctly remember my breathe catching and trying to scream but nothing coming out ... Like a nightmare.

This story is already starting to creep me out and I feel like I've barely even begun! It's a sunny morning here and I have the windows open, puppies to protect me, but I still have the urge to check under the bed and close my bedroom door. Goodness!

Matt (mmullerm) I just picked up a copy of this at the library today. I'll post thoughts as I get into it. I'm thankful it is a short book.

Nicole Looking forward to hearing from you Matt!

message 6: by M. (new) - rated it 2 stars

M. Noelle (mnoelle) | 31 comments My copy hasn't come to the library yet but I'm so excited to start reading! Especially after everything you've just said Nicole; that sounds creepy and intense!

message 7: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (mich2689) | 219 comments The beginning was slow because of the writing but it got intense and thrilling after the man's appearance. Nicole I had the same reaction as you after the window scene. Good thing it's during the day. I definitely won't be reading this before bedtime.

message 8: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (mich2689) | 219 comments By the way, if you have a kindle, the kindle version of the book is free.

message 9: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian | 256 comments Mod
I agree, the writing is a bit hard to get through - it reminds me a bit of The Scarlett Letter. It is kind of interesting/strange that the narrator is telling the story of a man (Douglas) who is telling the story of the governess.

Amber | 6 comments I am able to read this book through my library online checkout.

So, I will have to also state that it was a bit difficult to get into the story. I will be honest and admit that I have never read anything with writing and phrasing like James has in this story.

At first I was a bit confused as to what was going on. (It could have been the formatting of the online copy, since there were no breaks in certain places). Either way, it picks up.

The man in the tower is weird and creepy. It's good to see though that the governess is one of action and suspicion. She didn't look away as if embarrassed, but met the stare. That didn't keep her from being worried or scared, but it does endure her to me as a bold character. Considering when this story was written, that says something about the building of her in particular.

message 11: by Paula (new) - rated it 1 star

Paula One of the things I found interesting near the beginning of the tale after the governess sees the figure on the tower, is her question about a mystery of Udolpho. She references the book by Anne Radcliffe by that name, which is a gothic romance, featuring physical and psychological terror; remote, crumbling castles; seemingly supernatural events; a brooding, scheming villain; and a persecuted heroine.
I may take this book more slowly than some of you, but am enjoying it despite the writing style. I've read enough Dicken, et al, to be able to get in the groove quickly.

message 12: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (mich2689) | 219 comments Amber wrote: "I am able to read this book through my library online checkout.

So, I will have to also state that it was a bit difficult to get into the story. I will be honest and admit that I have never read a..."

I agree with the part about the governess seeming bold. I would have bolted if I was in the same situation.

Kimberly | 145 comments I too am having trouble with his writing style. So, it's taking me a bit longer to read than normal. I just finished Chapter 6. :) And, that guy is really creepy. And James really does have a way with words to make him creepy. Then, the housekeeper mentioned the description sounded like a dead man! :O Can't wait to find out more of what is going on.

Oh, and is anyone else curious about why Miles was kicked out of school? I hope that eventually gets explained...

message 14: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (mich2689) | 219 comments I want to know why Miles got expelled too. He seems like such an angel at home.

message 15: by Madeline (last edited Oct 17, 2016 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Madeline Easton This book is super creepy! When the housekeeper started talking about Mr. Quint, I got actual goosebumps, and when the governess ends Chapter 6 with becoming aware of this ghost watching her and the child again, I had to stop reading for fear of nightmares. James does a fantastic job at eliciting dread in the reader, and even though his writing is a little wordy at times, I am enjoying this spooky story.