Book Snails Book Group discussion

Social > Do you listen to music while you read? Or do you prefer complete quiet?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
Do you listen to music while you read? Do you prefer natural sound (kids playing, TV in the background, etc)? Or do you need complete quiet to concentrate?

Most of the time, I prefer almost complete silence to keep my mind focused on my book. If there's music with lyrics and I know the song, I'm going to be singing along in my head! Instrumental music is mostly fine, though. Classical, jazz, atmospheric, etc.

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin | 629 comments For me, it depends on the book. If it's something I'm completely hooked on, I can tune things out. However, I haven't come across many books lately that really sucked me in, so I typically prefer to read in quiet to avoid distraction.

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey I need complete quiet if it's a book I'm reading for enjoyment. When I was in school, and had to take notes or something, I would usually put on classical music. I love singing too much (I'm a voice trained soprano) so if there's music with lyrics on, I'll definitely be singing along!

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy I need quiet. That's why I get the majority of my reading done late at night, because my husband & kids are sleeping and I'm a night owl.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) I need to have absolute quiet or I find that I have to reread sentences over and over again. I do love music while I clean or play video games though. :-)

message 6: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Erin wrote: "For me, it depends on the book. If it's something I'm completely hooked on, I can tune things out. However, I haven't come across many books lately that really sucked me in, so I typically prefer t..."

That's interesting, that it depends on the book.

message 7: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Kelsey wrote: "I need complete quiet if it's a book I'm reading for enjoyment. When I was in school, and had to take notes or something, I would usually put on classical music. I love singing too much (I'm a voic..."

I know what it's like to fight the singing urge!

message 8: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Amy wrote: "I need quiet. That's why I get the majority of my reading done late at night, because my husband & kids are sleeping and I'm a night owl."

Night Owl Syndrome is a real thing!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Quite often I'll read with some sort of background music on. I generally prefer Classical music, or Easy Listening.

message 10: by Michaela (new)

Michaela Osiecki (rozemaiden87) I almost always put the tv on or have a movie playing in the background. Sometimes music, if I'm reading in the bath-tub. ;)

message 11: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
I have to have SOMETHING on in the background. Sometimes it’s Robot Chicken, sometimes is Handel. I’m eclectic like that lol!

message 12: by Brandyn (new)

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 13 comments It depends a little on the book, but I can tune out all background noise EXCEPT music. Music worms it’s way past my hyperfocus and I end up singing along,

message 13: by Pien (new)

Pien | 479 comments I need the quiet. With music, my brain starts singing along with the lyrics, wondering where I used to hear that song, or get distracted by the melody. I love music so while cooking, cleaning, driving, etc there’s often something on. (All kinds of music)

message 14: by Jane (new)

Jane (journojane) | 41 comments Reading in silence is real, pure, focused reading. Reading with music is like caffeine - fun but there's a price to pay.

message 15: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1851 comments Mod
A good book produces its own kind of music.

message 16: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) | 423 comments StarMan wrote: "A good book produces its own kind of music."

Ooh! Love that, StarMan. Profound.

message 17: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "A good book produces its own kind of music."

So true