What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Trial of a Monster
This topic is about Trial of a Monster
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Trying to find a true crime/ abuse story, girl kidnapped and kept in dog cage [s]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha | 70 comments I saw a book in kindle store looking for true crime books and I haven't had been able to find it. The book was the story behind the film "Lucy's Law". It involved a girl who was kidnapped and kept in a dog cage.

message 2: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Loving | 13 comments A Stolen Life: A Memoir Kindle Edition
by Jaycee Dugard

Only book I could find about a 18-year abduction.

message 3: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha | 70 comments No, sorry. I know it's out there....

message 4: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments This book has a couple kindle editions and focuses on the trial after an extended abduction: Perfect Victim by Christine McGuire

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Dacyczyn (readsintrees) | 264 comments Are you sure that the film "Lucy's Law" is based on a true story? I can't find that anywhere.

message 6: by Bargle (last edited Oct 05, 2016 03:44AM) (new)

Bargle | 1174 comments Going by the description on the IMDb site, the film does seem to have been based on the Jaycee Dugard story. There have been several cases of children or teen girls kidnapped and held for extended periods. I think there's more than one book on the Dugard case. I'll do some research and post again. (Angela found them. Thanks.)

ETA: I do remember a mention of the enclosure in the Dugard case being fenced in, maybe like a dog pen.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela | 433 comments A Stolen Life and Freedom: My Book of Firsts are Jaycee Dugard's memoirs about her captivity and the aftermath.

It looks like some other books have been published about the case, including:

Lost and Found: The True Story of Jaycee Lee Dugard and the Abduction that Shocked the World by John Glatt

and Shattered Innocence by Robert Scott.

message 8: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha | 70 comments No....it had some horror story-detail in the blurb that the abductor got her pregnant a number of times and killed her several of her babies [sorry for that graphic detail :(]

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisalal) | 70 comments Could it be about the Cleveland kidnappings from a few years ago? I know that Michelle Knight (one of the victims) had a book about it.

message 10: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha | 70 comments nope, sorry; it was of a young girl getting kidnapped from school.

message 11: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1174 comments Here you go. Trial of a Monster by C. Tom.

message 12: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments Bargle wrote: "Here you go. Trial of a Monster by C. Tom."

Good find!

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
The movie came out in 2011, though, and the kindle book in 2013. If the years listed are accurate. Maybe the kindle book was based on the movie rather than the reverse?

message 14: by Greg (new)

Greg Tatum | 28 comments I don't think I have seen a book with such bad reviews. May not have done Samantha a favor finding this one. LOL

message 15: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha | 70 comments Greg wrote: "I don't think I have seen a book with such bad reviews. May not have done Samantha a favor finding this one. LOL"

Sorry for all the trouble, but the blurb look good and I like crime so I wanted to find it. If I read it, you'll see it on my profile!!

Thanks!!!

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
So "Trial of a Monster" was your book then?

message 17: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha | 70 comments Yep, signing off!