Support for Indie Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Where to send ARC's?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments So, I know it's a really, really, really, REALLY long shot, but I'm mailing off print ARCs to some pre-publication review houses. I mean, it's worth a try, right? But along with the big names who will almost definitely not review me (Library Journal, Foreword, Booklist), does anyone have any suggestions for smaller but respected review houses (not bloggers) where I might have a better shot?

My book is on netgalley so hopefully I'll snag a blogger or two there, but I want at least one objective, unpaid, editorial review.

Tara Woods Turner Newspapers are actually a great source - try mid-size publications. Best of luck to you!

message 3: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Why won't Foreword review you? Have you tried Kirkus? What's your genre- if it's YA you can ask Bianca Schulz from The Children's Book Review for a dedicated review. Reader's Views will also give you one.

message 4: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) It helps before you send anything to a publisher, that your author's platform is well-developed on the net. Kevin O'leary isn't the only one wanting to invest only where they can pour gasoline on a fire and start a Blaze.

message 5: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments Morris wrote: "It helps before you send anything to a publisher, that your author's platform is well-developed on the net. Kevin O'leary isn't the only one wanting to invest only where they can pour gasoline on a..."

Thanks, I have my website all set up including a press kit with professional photo and Q&A - I'm happy to hear what people think - www.cllynch.com (not a book whack! Looking for feedback on my author platform).

I'm mailing each ARC with a cover letter, press release with all relevant info (ISBN, format, publication date etc etc etc) and I'm going to conform to their guidelines as exactly as I can.

@Carole - I'm just assuming that the "real" reviewers like Foreword would be too busy and important for people like me. Especially when they offer a paid service for the people who "don't make the cut". Seems like they have more money to be made by not reviewing me.

Kirkus refuses to review Indie titles unless you pay them so I'm not mailing to them. Snobs.

I will send a copy to Midwest Book Review too but they don't take galleys so I can't get pre publication reviews from them.

Re: the Children's Book Review - I'm hesitant because while my book is YA, it's OLD YA, like for those 16+. It contains swearing and mentions sex.

message 6: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments Tara wrote: "Newspapers are actually a great source - try mid-size publications. Best of luck to you!"

I want to send to newspapers but I can never find any submission guidelines. What's the protocol, can I send unsolicited or do I contact someone, and if I do, is it better to contact the book review section or a reporter?

Tara Woods Turner C.L. wrote: "Tara wrote: "Newspapers are actually a great source - try mid-size publications. Best of luck to you!"

I want to send to newspapers but I can never find any submission guidelines. What's the proto..."

Unsolicited is never a good idea. Call and ask for the book reviewer on staff. A phone call is a bit of excellent luck but barring that at least get a name and email address so you can pitch the book, If the paper has no dedicated reviewer ask anyone in the features or editorial department who primarily handles reviews. A good mix of editorial reviews from different sources looks more impressive, imo, and I think a lot of authors overlook newspapers.

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Really don't send unsolicited to newspapers or magazines. The chances of anyone reading it are about zip.

I know this because I was a magazine editor for twenty years before I retired to write my own stuff

message 9: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman C.L. wrote: "Morris wrote: "It helps before you send anything to a publisher, that your author's platform is well-developed on the net. Kevin O'leary isn't the only one wanting to invest only where they can pou..."
Write Bianca- she does YA that borders adult. Let her know. Send me a letter and I will get it to Midwest and Bianca for you. If you want I'll include Reader's Views too. cnbbook@gmail.com. Send me a package of your info and I'll get it to them.
I didn't understand before- I only pay for the reviews at Foreword and Kirkus.

Send it to Publisher's Weekly. I'll get it to Top Shelf magazine too. They do free reviews as well.

message 10: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments Carole wrote: "C.L. wrote: "Morris wrote: "It helps before you send anything to a publisher, that your author's platform is well-developed on the net. Kevin O'leary isn't the only one wanting to invest only where..."

You're my hero!

message 11: by Carole (last edited Oct 03, 2016 04:41PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman Aw shucks! You're making me blush.

message 12: by Janet (new)

Janet Garber (janetgarber) | 18 comments C.L. wrote: "Morris wrote: "It helps before you send anything to a publisher, that your author's platform is well-developed on the net. Kevin O'leary isn't the only one wanting to invest only where they can pou..."

My book was recently reviewed by PW Booklife. For free. I had submitted it months ago. It's worth a shot.

message 13: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman They pick very few books. Of the forty or fifty I've sent in, they've only done three. ( and only my son's) It's a big deal.

message 14: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments Yes I'll definitely submit to booklife. Worth a shot, right?

message 15: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Especially if you get a starred review!

message 16: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 45 comments C.L., I like your website. Nice and clean. Easy to navigate. Funny content!

No biggie, but if you have the ability to change your settings, you might want to set your trailer to loop (rather than stop on a variety of other youtube vids; some people confuse easily :-/).

Good luck with your book.

message 17: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments Rhonda wrote: "C.L., I like your website. Nice and clean. Easy to navigate. Funny content!

No biggie, but if you have the ability to change your settings, you might want to set your trailer to loop (rather than ..."

Oh, can I do that? Must figure that out.

message 18: by Denae (new)

Denae Christine (denaechristine) | 167 comments Ooh, good advice, everyone. I will have to stop being shy and contact more strangers about my books. This group will make me braver.

message 19: by Cecily (new)

Cecily Wolfe | 3 comments If you write children's or YA you can send them to School Library Journal. You aren't guaranteed a review but they do like to see new authors/material and they have a large reviewer base to send books out to review.

message 20: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman The Children's Book Review and Kid's Reader's Views are great places to send as well. (YA and kids books)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.