A.Ham Book Club discussion

John Adams > Chapter 2

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Hamilton (the_a_dot_ham) | 96 comments Mod
Discussion thread for Chapter 2 of John Adams. I will post discussion questions later this week, but if the need should strike, please begin discussing!

message 2: by Alexander (new)

Discussion questions! Regular disclaimer: Discussion is never limited to just these questions nor are these questions mandatory.

1. Is there anyone that we've met in this chapter that you want to learn more about? For example, we have now met John Dickinson who wrote Letters from a Pennsylvania Farmer, but he is not a prominent Founding Father.

2. In Thoughts on Government, Adams begins to formulate thoughts on public education. Adams writes, “Laws for the liberal education of youth, especially for the lower classes of people, are so extremely wise and useful…” When Adams was a young boy he dismissed the idea of education and only wished to be a farmer. How has his background influenced his opinion on education? Why did he see education as essential to the farmer as to the statesman in the pursuit of an independent nation?

3. Did anyone else gag a little at the description of Jefferson?

4. Was there a passage in the text that you particularly enjoyed or disliked? What was it and why?

5. Now that we have worked our way through chapter 2, what is your opinion of John Adams now? Has it changed or is it the same?

message 3: by Alexander (new)

Please keep us updated while you are in Philadelphia! We would love to see posts and pictures. It's one thing to read about a place, but another to see it in person.

I find myself quite enjoying the journal entries as well. It makes Adams much more human than... monstrous. And I appreciate his attention to detail in certain matters.

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Oct 19, 2016 09:30PM) (new)

Sarah (kamicokrolock) | 25 comments #4
There were 2 passages that I liked
1. But Franklin had no liking for floor debate. He was patient, imperturbable, and at times sound asleep in his chair."

Why this passage. because as much as I try I often times find myself like Franklin when reading this, asleep.

#2 "“Reason first: you are a Virginian and a Virginian ought to appear at the head of this business. Reason second: I am obnoxious, suspected and unpopular. You are very much otherwise. Reason third: You can write ten times better than I can."

I can't help but see the spoken part of "But, Mr Adams" from 1776 play out in my mind.

Ok that's it.