The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

The Moonstone
This topic is about The Moonstone
2016 Group Reads - Archives > The Moonstone - Schedule and Background Information

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pip | 468 comments Welcome to our discussion of one of Wilkie Collins' finest novels, The Moonstone.

Due to your discussion leader being rather time-challenged over the next month or so, I'm going to depart from our usual practice and post all of the threads more or less simultaneously so readers can jump in and comment at any time. Full disclosure: I'm not going to be reading along with you as I've read and re-read this one several times, most recently at the beginning of this year. On the positive side, this means I'm fairly familiar with the book and will still be joining in the discussion with you.

Please note that this a mystery (well, several mysteries really!) and it will be especially important to avoid posting spoilers outside the section you are commenting on. If in doubt, use the spoiler brackets.

Here is how I have divided up the sections:

Section 1 - Prologue, First Period Chapters 1-10
Section 2 - First Period Chapters 11-18
Section 3 - First Period Chapters 19-22, Second Period Chapter 1-4
Section 4 - Second Period Chapters 5-7, Second Narrative Chapters 1-3, Third Narrative Chapters 1-3
Section 5 - Third Narrative Chapters 4-10
Section 6 - Fourth Narrative to conclusion

You can use this thread to post background information which will help to enrich our reading and understanding - again spoilers could be an issue, so please head any info posts with the Section number it pertains to.

Happy reading! This one is great fun and I'm sure that, once you start, you won't be able to put it down!

message 2: by Pip (last edited Oct 03, 2016 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pip | 468 comments SECTION 1

The Siege of Seringapatam

The Prologue takes place during the Siege of Seringapatam (modern day Srirangapatna) which took place between April and May of 1799 during the fourth Anglo-Mysore War between the British East India Company and the Kingdom of Mysore. The British won after breaching the fortress walls and storming the citadel.

For more information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_o...

The siege was the scene of the final defeat of Tipu Sultan - the "Tiger of Mysore". The walls of the fort remain, and you can visit Tipu's beautiful Mausoleum, an impressive memorial to one of the great leaders against British rule in India.

If "the Tiger of Mysore" sounds familiar, it might be because you've seen or heard of the famous automaton, commissioned by Tipu, of a tiger mauling a European man. You can find more information about "Tipu's Tiger" at the Victorian and Albert Museum website:

https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/tipus-...

It was one of the many treasures stolen by the British soldiers – like our fictional Moonstone - after the siege.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rosemarie | 2785 comments Mod
Thanks for the info, Pip.

Hilary (agapoyesoun) | 181 comments Sorry Pip I can't follow the schedule. There are no dates or am I missing something? I wouldn't be surprised.

message 5: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rosemarie | 2785 comments Mod
Hilary, we read this novel around the time of the American elections, when there was a lot going on, so basically we just posted as we read each section. The book was so engrossing that I read ahead. If you post in the sections for each part, readers will respond. The threads stay open even after the actual time allotted to it is over, to give everyone a chance to respond at their leisure.