All the Ugly and Wonderful Things All the Ugly and Wonderful Things discussion

Anyone else think that if a man had written this book

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The (new) - rated it 3 stars

The Fallen He would be flayed alive for being a misogynist and a paedophile.
I'm not one of those people Who tells readers what they can and can't read, that I think that just like the romanticisation of stalking and abuse in Fifty Shades of Grey is wrong, so two is the romanticisation of paedophilia.
Also, it's possible that actual teenagers might read this book.
I guess I would be happier if the author had written something like This book is a fantasy on the front page.

Susie Wang If she did write something like that, that would be great. But as it is, I think we all know this is fantasy and should not be taken as anything educational. It would be even better if the booksellers can set a trigger warning or something when they put this book on the shelves, so parents would be aware that this is for adults only.

Siobhan This book creeped me out. I can see falling love in at 14. I met my now husband at 13(he wasnt much older) but as the mother of a 14 yr old it creeped me out. I could barely get through it

Nichole I'm a teenager and I read this. I don't actually think it's that creepy or weird. I think it's kinda beautiful. It's not like Kellen sexually abused or even had sexual feelings for an eight year old, he didn't start feeling that way until Wavy was a teenager. Personally, I don't even think their age difference was that huge, nor did I take it to be the main message of the book. I thought it was more about finding true love in the most unlikely places and persevering despite obstacles.

But I'm a romantic at heart and opinions obviously vary. d:

Ankita DasGupta The wrote: "He would be flayed alive for being a misogynist and a paedophile.
I'm not one of those people Who tells readers what they can and can't read, that I think that just like the romanticisation of sta..."

Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita ...... *ahem*

Siobhan He was a stereotypical pedophile. He groomed her at a young age by buying her gifts and "taking care of" her and her family. He may not have had sexual feelings for her then but he was grooming her to want him.

message 7: by The (new) - rated it 3 stars

The Fallen Nichole wrote: "I'm a teenager and I read this. I don't actually think it's that creepy or weird. I think it's kinda beautiful. It's not like Kellen sexually abused or even had sexual feelings for an eight year ol..."

I can see why the story might work as a fantasy, but like the Fifty Shades books, it should be stated that this is something that shouldn't happen in real life.

Nichole The wrote: "I can see why the story might work as a fantasy, but like the Fifty Shades books, it should be stated that this is something that shouldn't happen in real life."

Honestly though, who are you to decide what shouldn't happen in real life? As far as I know (I've never read it myself) Fifty Shades is just about a BDSM relationship, albeit with some undertones that are considered unhealthy in a 'normal' relationship. If it made all parties involved happy then it made them happy. End of story. People don't have to live their lives to your moral standards.

Misty DeRosier I agree with many of you. It's not that a book was written about a sexually abusive relationship, but that the relationship was glorified and romanticized that bothers me. As a social worker, I know that this story is not new or unique, but the children that actually experience this type of harm DO NOT ride off into the sunset on the back of their predator's motorcycle. They in fact end up very damaged. I found myself continually siding with the aunt.

message 10: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited Jan 29, 2017 04:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Fact is this is a fictional story. Period. And any adult should be able to read this book and freely express their thoughts/feelings about it without fear of being shunned/judged.

Though the subject matter is a very real reality. So I agree there should be some type of Parental label on it since minors have access to this book the same as an adult.

Having said that, these types of relationships/situations do still occur. Granted, Wavy and Kellen were definitely the exceptions rather than the rule, on how these types of relationships turn out, but they are still a very grim reality for many. And some of these unions are not always met with, or end in despair, strife, or abuse/damage.

Once upon a time in our very own society, these types of relationships were the "Norm" and accepted. Though when you consider the times, for many families, this was the only way to ensure that their daughters would be cared for when they no longer could care for them. So they would marry their children off. Sometimes as young as nine years of age. Many lasting, loving unions were born from this type of coupling. So in that respect, I can't really view this topic as Taboo etc... But times have changed. Though the Human Condition has not. And bottom line, a child is a child and a man is a man.

I fought with my own convictions (Black & white on morals/right & wrong) all of that, while reading this story. I still have no clue where I truly stand with this particular story because circumstances here, everything were different. I can't put it in one box or the other.

But again, I do feel strongly that a minor should not be able to just go get this book or purchase/check it out of the library without a parent or guardians consent or knowledge of the material before hand. It's just way too delicate & questionable material on such a very real /serious subject.

Alyssa Campbell I think the whole point of the book is to make you sympathize with a pedophile without meaning to... it's just showing you that not all people who are into that kind of thing are the monsters we make them out to be. Yea, obviously it's gross and wrong to most people (including myself) that an older guy would be into a fourteen year old, but Kellen clearly had some mental issues.

Humbert was definitely a pervert, but Kellen wasn't necessarily a predator.

message 12: by Gaia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaia Koren I think people would call him a pedophile. Anyway I think this book was so creepy and cringy. I have no idea how I feel about it.

Susie Wang Adrianne wrote: "I read this book and I agree with almost all of Princess Nhya's thoughts. I was torn between the reality and the consequences. I'm a 60 Yr old female born in the Deep South to parents with deep, st..."
Well said. It just shows how people's limited views of the world can make them do questionable things with good intentions. I couldn't quite put what I felt for this book into words, but you did it perfectly. Kellen and Wavy were two people who felt ignored and abused all their lives, but they understood and cared for each other. For two people who've only known hurt, why wouldn't they love each other? And when they do, how can they tell the difference between loving someone and being in love with someone? It's only natural for them to assume. And they do need one another to go on.

message 14: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited Mar 13, 2017 05:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Adrianne wrote: "He didn't buy her "gifts" he purchased necessities such as school shoes. He wasn't grooming her, he was caring for her and her brother the only way he knew how.
Where is the outrage over the neglect and emotional abuse perpetrated by the parents?

I wonder this too, when I come across certain topics of discussion concerning this story. The ugliness and blatant abuse and neglect that come from the two people who should have been shielding Wavy from it, barely is a blip on folks "Outrage Meters" I think it's partly because, most are desensitized by the ugliness her parents brought to their kids world, simply because this is such a common occurence in reality or fiction, that it's almost like it's accepted as the NORM in our society.

Where as something that is born purely out of innocence/or circumstance; though it has a pure foundation but it grows into something that does not mirror what we perceive as normal or morally right, this is what stands out and what is latched on to and labeled as the evil that is present.

And this is where we get into that Black or White/Gray area stuff.

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Adrianne wrote: "Life isn't a box and circumstances don't and won't always fit snugly and perfectly inside. I never saw the "glorification/ romanticism" anywhere in this story. I saw the opposite because of the juxtaposition of the main characters.

Exactly... Totally agree.

message 16: by Gina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gina Whitlock I felt cheated at the end of this book - like I'd been taken for a joy ride and dropped off in a shady part of town. Very controversial. Abused by her parents, Wavy is emotionally disturbed. Yet she is "saved" by a very dark someone who becomes sexually involved with her at 13. Oh wait, it doesn't really happen till she's 14. I feel better already.

Tracy Hollen Nichole wrote: "I'm a teenager and I read this. I don't actually think it's that creepy or weird. I think it's kinda beautiful. It's not like Kellen sexually abused or even had sexual feelings for an eight year ol..."

Great comment Nichole.

Tasmia I don't believe the gender of the author had to do with it. Honestly, I didn't check who had written it. It was incredibly highly rated, so I checked it out. This book, authored by male/female/etc, would be highly controversial simply because of it's subject matter.

And I think the title says it all. The summary says it all. Someone only has to read a chapter to know it's going to delve into the darkness. One of the major themes of this book is looking past just what it looks like. It's an ugly book. It's a beautiful book. It depends how you look at it.

Just like reality.

So, no, I don't really believe that the author's gender would make a major difference.

Kristy Rousseau Ankita wrote: "The wrote: "He would be flayed alive for being a misogynist and a paedophile.
I'm not one of those people Who tells readers what they can and can't read, that I think that just like the romanticis..."

Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita ...... *ahem*

Exactly.

message 20: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 23, 2017 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer I didn't know what to think when i finished the book, there were a lot of cringe worthy moments, but I find it so fascinating to see that everyone immediately is outraged at the sexual acts between wavy & kellan, but I rarely hear anything about the crappy parenting & the fact that NO ONE seems to give a crap about this girl, but this random guy. Would she even be alive without him? The abuse, the neglect...it's scary and sad to know that children are really being raised like this with NO one to help them.
Also, was I the only one who got the impression that Kellan wasn't scoring super high on the IQ score? and perhaps due to his own family issues was emotionally stunted as well?
I found it a little ridiculous at the end that Wavy was so smart but hadn't even bothered to address any of her emotional issues, but was just living with them and teaching her brother to do the same.
I loved the idea of this story, loved the message of finding love even in something so insanely ugly and man, she had me, caught me up in that web and spun me to the end...She's good.

And as for teenagers, good lord, give them a little credit for not being complete idiots any more than adults. They don't need censorship from books, they need conversation, support & guidance from adults who care and want the best from them.

message 21: by Aintzane (new) - added it

Aintzane Rodríguez Nichole wrote: "I'm a teenager and I read this. I don't actually think it's that creepy or weird. I think it's kinda beautiful. It's not like Kellen sexually abused or even had sexual feelings for an eight year ol..." I can't believe you just said that. That's not love. When they started their relationship, Wavy was nine. A nine years old girl cannot think in that kind of romantic love. She only sees a man who cares about her the way she wants to be cared. And its disgusting how Kellen uses that for his own profit. A nine years old girl can't have a romantic relationship with a twenty years old man. She's being manipulated. If she had been twenty and he fourty, that would be different. She could say yes by her own. But, in this case, I think is clear that is pedophilia and thinking it's romantic, it's more dangerous than beautiful

message 22: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Scheibe **spoiler**
I get how people are upset about this book and what not, but I actually loved it and thought it was sort of romantic in a twisted way that, as in the title, is ugly and wonderful.

First, I just want to say that I think some sort of censor on this book to "warn" people is incredibly unnecessary. If you really want there to be a disclaimer, the inside flap, Amazon, and even Book of the Month. The first quote on the inside cover, with little yellow stars around it, is the perfect quote to sum up the book and Kellen and Wavey's relationship.

Second, I don't think he necessarily groomed her. From the time Wavey was born she was helplessly abused. By age 3, Val was shaking her and yelling holding her hand over her mouth causing poor Wavey to not be able to speak or eat. And if that wasn't bad enough, she had to live on a farm/compound that cooked meth. Her own house was covered in drugs, needles, and completely unsanitary. Oh and don't forget Liam was beating her. The only reason this poor girl was able to survive and go on to college is because of Kellen. He was there for both her and Donal and supported her all the way through college. She turned out stronger than ever after everything she had to go through when she was at such a high risk for an overdose or suicide. She was forced to grow up when she was only 5 years old, so it's no surprise she was attracted to the only adult figure in her life that wasn't putting her through hell.

Third, is Kellen. This is a guy who watched his father kill himself, one brother go to jail for life, the other brother die, and his mother slowly die from alcohol consumption. He tried to grow up and get away from his family, but he never really could and became so emotionally stunted he was probably only as mature as he was when his grandmother died, the only person that ever cared for him. Wavey kept this poor man from suicide. Kellen was ready to end it all before she came around and he talks about it throughout the book. I don't know about you, but if I was ready to end it all and felt as worthless as him and dealt with everything he did, and someone came around and started to care about me I'd take to them too.

That brings me to my final point.

I get it. The age difference can be off putting, but these two would be dead if it weren't for each other. I don't think Wavey would have made it past 18 and Kellen wouldn't had made it past that wreck in the beginning. Kellen would have gone down that night and been more depressed than he was before. That would have been it. If Wavey's environment didn't kill her, she would have gone by the hand of someone Liam and Val hang out with.

It might be ugly from a glance, but when you look at this relationship up close and really listen to the characters, it is something beautiful. That's the point of the book. All the things ugly and beautiful.

Tasha Dana wrote: "**spoiler**
I get how people are upset about this book and what not, but I actually loved it and thought it was sort of romantic in a twisted way that, as in the title, is ugly and wonderful.

Firs..."

Well stated. I liked the book. I realize the age is off-putting, but isn't her neglect and being raised in a drug house horrible too?

Edward Nugent Dana wrote: "**spoiler**

Firs..."

Well stated, Dana.
As someone who has had a lifetime's experience with social deviant's labeled by the crime they have been charged with or have committed. It was always the story that was unique to each one that stirred me.
It is so easy to judge when you can create social, religious, legal, political, and physical barriers barriers that isolate those that don't conform to the majority norm. Yet, each person comes complete with emotions and intellect, no matter how scarred. When life puts a person in an environment where the majority social norms either are defied, ignored or don't exist, they will create their own way of expressing emotion and exercising intellect. It is about the perseverance of what makes us human..
I couldn't agree more, in all the ugly things, there is beauty, the beauty of the human spirit.

Mariah G How i perceive this book, is that it is both wrong and right in so many reasons. That is why i think it is titled "all the ugly and wonderful things", because it really is truly ugly everything that has happened, and yes the pedophilia is wrong, and yes he did lure her in as she was already damaged and she had never had someone to treat her right, and yes the relationship could've been better. But it was honestly wonderful that in the end she ended up having everything she has ever wanted even if it was the same man that may have took advantage of her as she was older. And the thing with this kind of book is that every is going to have their own opinions but i am looking at the book as the whole. Honestly it should've been a little more descriptive as to what was in store for us readers. But overall it was still a good book that could be taken in so many ways and that's why i think it is so controversial.

Elizabeth Wow! I missed the idea of pedophilia on Kellen's part. I saw him as someone who knew what Wavy was going through and tried to help her however he could. They fell into physical love because they each only knew love from the other. Time together caring for and about each other progressed as most relationships do. I thought it was great that they found each other. The ugly was what happened to each of them. The wonderful was how they were able to give love despite seldom getting any.

message 27: by (new) - added it

XØ abominable
awful
creepy
distasteful
hateful
horrific
nasty
objectionable
outrageous
repugnant
shocking
vile
vulgar
gross
nauseating
revolting
detestable
frightful
ghastly
hideous
horrid
offensive
repellent
rotten

Bottom line- There will never be enough words to describe how disgusting this book truly is.I have a strong stomach but THIS? No Just NO.I hardly take time to comment but when something as horrible as this book has so many positive reviews it truly makes me wonder what has become of our society when a book which CLEARLY is A PREDATORS GUIDEBOOK / MANUAL is allowed to be published.

I do not know what happened to BRYN GREENWOOD in her past but she should visit a psychologist at the very least and if she truly wants to reform herself,she should go to the nearest police station and register herself as sex offender because mass producing YOUR SICK FANTASY is NOT OKAY no matter what abuse you went through.You are old enough to know better .

Casey Lubonski Honestly didn't mind this book. At first, I was a little creeped out with Kellen and Wavy's relationship but I ended up growing fond of Kellen and who he was as a person. I think some times throughout the book I forgot how old Kellen really was which made it easy to read about their romance, but at other times I found it kind of concerning because Wavy never really "grew up" in a sense. All in all, although I was uncomfortable at times with this book, I think it challenged me to rethink life a little because sometimes people in the darkest times, can find happiness in unconventional places.