Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Not So Shortish on Reads in September 3/3

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (last edited Oct 03, 2016 03:42PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1388 comments 9)This Above All by Lindsey Roth Culli (YA Contemporary) Source: Publisher
Started: 9/22 Finished: 9/24

Why Read: This deals with controversy over a girl playing Romeo in a high school production of Romeo and Juliet.

Comments: I like unusual controversies and there was some great Shakespeare content. Rating B+. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

10)Silent Court by M. J. Trow (historical mystery) 218 pages. Source: Library
Started: 9/26 Finished: 9/30

Why Read: This is the second in Trow's series in which the detective is Elizabethan playwright Christopher Marlowe. He was known to be a spy, so this isn't improbable at all. I liked the first book.

Comments: Marlowe is given his first assignment to spy on behalf of Queen Elizabeth. Since he was successful in finding evidence of a conspiracy against the Queen, he is sent to Holland to ensure the safety of Protestant ruler, William the Silent, who has had attempts on his life. Before Marlowe actually leaves, the wife of Queen Elizabeth's magician, John Dee, is murdered. (Yes, Queen Elizabeth really did have a court magician. John Dee was a historical personage. ) After Marlowe discovers who is trying to kill William the Silent, he returns to England and also solves the murder of John Dee's wife. There are gypsies in this novel who represent all the negative stereotypes about them except for the female healer. I gave it a B. I'm still planning to read the third novel, though I didn't like this one as much as the first.

With the addition of Everfair I have now read ten A rated novels in 2016. The next one that I read will have to be evaluated to see if it's extraordinary enough to replace one of the ten books that are already on my top ten.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Shomeret
Nice to get your ten for the month and ten A rated books for the year! I am enjoying the Shakespeare elements in other books so your YA Romeo and Juliet themed book is of interest.