The Jane Austen Book Club discussion

Pride and Prejudice
This topic is about Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice > Quotable/Notable passages from P&P

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sita | 10 comments Mod
So the idea of this discussion topic is to simply quote the sentences or passages you liked from the book as we go along. I really enjoy Austen's crisp and biting prose, and I would love to see what passages hit home for you folks as well. Please try to mention the page no. of the passage/line you selected in case someone wants to highlight it in their copy.

I'll start off with the opening paragraph of the book (a very controversial choice, I know)

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so fixed in the minds of surrounding families, that he is considered as the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters.

message 2: by Purple (new) - added it

Purple | 2 comments About Mrs. Bennet : "Her mind was less difficult to develop. She was a woman of mean understanding, little information, and uncertain temper. When she was discontented she fancied herself nervous. The business of her life was to get her daughters married; its solace was visiting and news.

message 3: by Tony (new)

Tony Sullivan | 4 comments Chapter 3:
"Mr. Bingley was good-looking and gentlemanlike; he had a pleasant countenance, and easy, unaffected manners. His sisters were fine women, with an air of decided fashion.His brother-in-law, Mr. Hurst, merely looked the gentleman; but his friend Mr. Darcy soon drew the attention of the room by his fine, tall person, handsome features, noble mien, and the report which was in general circulation within five minutes after his entrance, of his having ten thousand a year."
Alas, "he was discovered to be proud; to be above his company, and above being pleased; and not all his large estate in Derbyshire could then save him from having a most forbidding, disagreeable countenance, and being unworthy to be compared with his friend... Amongst the most violent against him was Mrs. Bennet, whose dislike of his general behaviour was sharpened into particular resentment by his having slighted one of her daughters."

Sita | 10 comments Mod
Chapter 4 :
[Jane:] "I would not wish to be hasty in censuring anyone; but I always speak what I think."
[Elizabeth:] "I know you do, and it is that which makes me wonder. With your good sense, to be so honestly blind to the follies and nonsense of others! Affectation of candour is common enough: - one meets with it everywhere. But to be candid without ostentation or design to take the good of everybody's character and make it still better, and say nothing of the bad - belongs to you alone. And so, you like this man's sisters too, do you? Their manners are not equal to his."

Bhavana Desai | 1 comments yeahh i like this notable quote too !