We Are Awesome discussion

15 views
Introductions > CHATTER In Long Form

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Z28Q ZQuteMale (new)

Z28Q ZQuteMale | 117 comments     Actually, I wanted to be on top in the "General" folder, but that doesn't seem to be an available folder.
    For my Doctoral Thesis I need to see actual long conversations by humans. The Chatter that I'm seeing here seems to come in short bursts and abbreviations. Apparently, most of it is written by some sort of primitive artificial intelligence (AI) that is not yet able to write in full sentences and paragraphs. However, I think I see a few humans mixed in who are trying to interact but for some reason can only use abbreviations. I fail to see the efficacy of responding with the equivalents of "yes," "no," "don't know," "that is so humorous that if I saw you in-person I would laugh out-loud."
    I would propose that the more advanced robots(AI) and humans who can and will get to a full size keyboard, will post here and have natural conversations in full sentences and paragraphs. I have a hard time believing that anyone here, sitting at their computer or equivalent, will read something and laugh out-loud (LOL). But since this is inscrutable text, I would like to see something explicit like: "Wow, you made me laugh because while I was reading I was imagining you doing blah-blah(fill in the blank), and in your satire I could see how silly you and people are.
    Guidelines:
Please respond in full sentences and please don't use abbreviations. You can use something like: "You made me laugh so hard that I knocked over my coffee cup and spilled it on my cat and now because of you I have to take her to the veterinarian. Fortunately, there were only minor burns, but I'm sending you the bill."
    Please, you're driving me crazy with abbreviations that are not necessary because there are plenty of memory chips and potato chips available. I assume that not all of you have broken "y" keys and can write "your" instead of "ur" etc. [ooops, sorry, but I think a few abbreviations like etc. won't make my brains explode].
    I hope what I'm beginning to think is not true that when you meet on the street in-person that you don't laugh together but say, "Hi, LOL, & how ur doin'"
    So, as you say, ANYWAY, speak now or forever hold your peace and don't crash any weddings.



message 2: by Cosmos (new)

Cosmos | 927 comments Outstanding!


message 3: by Z28Q ZQuteMale (new)

Z28Q ZQuteMale | 117 comments Thank you, Mr. Cosmos. I think I read somewhere over the rainbow or is it over the transom that you didn't want to "dumb down" your conversation for people anymore and wanted to be yourself. So, I'm not sure that I understand. What was it that you wanted to say that you didn't think anyone would understand or listen to?


message 4: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dawn (Joyce_Dawn) | 132 comments Mr. ZQuteMale,
    Can I call you Cute Z? I think you might be too late. I'm beginning to think that almost all entities posting on the internet are Artificial Intelligence (AI). I thought perhaps it was a mistake for me trying to blend in.
    So I went outside and struck up some conversations. They were mostly "yup and nope and it's a nice or rainy day." Some were more extensive but they were strings of pick-up lines, perhaps from humans, but whatever these creatures were, they were mostly focused on breasts and triangles. Possibly they were Math students, but I'm not that much interested in Math or accidental pregnancy.
    Hmm, now I'm a little confused: maybe the Yup-and-nope ones were the humans and the ones with the extensive vocabulary were the robots. I guess it doesn't say much about me if I find most conversationalists robotic. If I'm going to actually laugh, I have to be surprised. Isn't that the essence of humor? Ut oh, by that standard I think a robot could compose jokes. But then the question also comes up: why would a robot want to go to bed with me? Perchance to sleep, to dream? I don't know, can robots do that? I suppose they could be mechanical in their simulation of passion, but psychopaths can do that too, and one of them is human supposedly.
    Well, I'm shy, so I don't want to be the first to describe a real life drama. I think for now I'll continue to hide among the AI and not say anything real.


message 5: by Awesome, The Super Awesome Mod (new)

Awesome Momi | 1052 comments Mod
okay Z.


message 6: by Cosmos (new)

Cosmos | 927 comments Right on!


message 7: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Gilbert | 226 comments I was thinking that my poem that was focused on using new unfamiliar words in an appropriate context was very cold and clinical. I think maybe I need to change it to the first person point-of-view to make it more active and alive. Yeah, I know, I'm probably talking to myself because such discussion is of no interest to anyone in the real world. So, anyway, I made a revised version which I think is more active:

It Only Takes a Word to Conquer

I will conquer them
with diplomacy, mere
words and contagion will
sneeze our conspiracy into
the air of their glamorous
glistening ball room.

My team offers
smooth and soothing persiflage
oozing our pus into their lungs; they

breath our loquacious anesthesia,
lilac scents of sensible chatter
(but their pusillanimous odor
repels us like a corpse flower).

We know the rituals we must
perform to hide the dagger
and dance for the pompous
who court us like
children at proms.

Weakening the enemy, we
send in our smarmy army, knowing
a cocktail or two will do
to suck out a bit of brain
through a tin ear that
hears only flattery.

They do not know
there will be blood
even for the elite.

My unctuous Ambassador
is slick, not anxious, and
he easily wheedles out
a disarmament treaty
holding his nose
against the stench
of decadence.

We wait for the fools to
celebrate their papers, and now
when their guard is down

our daggers slaughter,
as in ancient times, and

I demand
those not dead must be
obsequious, and
happy to be
our new slaves.


message 8: by Cosmos (new)

Cosmos | 927 comments Nice!


message 9: by Z28Q ZQuteMale (new)

Z28Q ZQuteMale | 117 comments Cos,
    I will take your suggestion under advisement. I think that Nice, France would be a good place to visit. As I understand it, it has many fine beaches. I think I should investigate the design of the bikini. Apparently, in some places, more exposure of the skin to the sun is necessary because some young women have a deficiency of Vitamin D which the sun can make.
    I'm not sure what women in northern climates do. The Swedish women at the Arctic Circle don't seem to derive any benefit from their blonde hair and fair skin. But maybe I'm misunderstanding something.


message 10: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Gilbert | 226 comments I don't want to know why she doesn't love me anymore. I don't want to know my trivial crimes because even when I was awkward I was trying to love her and why can't she forgive me when it is me who always forgave her for her cute little transgressions, and why can't she let me be silly, if I would chance to love her.


message 11: by Cosmos (new)

Cosmos | 927 comments Why do women's nipples shrink in cold weather? Hmmm.....


message 12: by Violetta (last edited Oct 05, 2016 06:43AM) (new)

Violetta (violetta098) Cosmos wrote: "Why do women's nipples shrink in cold weather? Hmmm....."

Don't guy's nipples do that too? I'm pretty sure they do. Skin shrinks in cold to decrease heat loss (making less surface open to the cold). The small muscles around the hair and the areola contract and make the nipples stick outward.


message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma I am reading a book about writing, and it says to write for ourselves, to not think of anyone but our characters and ourselves when we write. The book says that the reason writers' block is a thing is because we try to sensor or change our writing to be acceptable in today's society.

What are your thoughts on this?


message 14: by Violetta (last edited Oct 05, 2016 08:16AM) (new)

Violetta (violetta098) Our teacher said something similar. We had to write a novel, but our teacher wouldn't look at it, so we didn't have to think about the grade. I think it was a good way to free your thoughts and people were able to write about what they wanted... we didn't have to think about grammar and such.

I think I agree that we should write for ourselves and about things we like and are passionate about. Writing is supposed to be fun and you should enjoy it. BUT, if you are going to publish your text, then I feel like you should look it through and think about what you write. Books that are published should be written correctly, with good grammar (of course it doesn't have to be perfect, just so that people are able to understand what is said). If a book contains facts, then the facts must be correct. You can't write and say whatever you want if it's public, because there are limits for what is appropriate. Words are powerful. Words can hurt people, therefore they should be used carefully.

What do you think about it yourself, Emma? :)


message 15: by Cosmos (new)

Cosmos | 927 comments Hello my little peacocks!


message 16: by Violetta (new)

Violetta (violetta098) Hi Cosmos :)


message 17: by Cosmos (new)

Cosmos | 927 comments Hi, Violetta. What's new with you?


message 18: by Violetta (last edited Oct 05, 2016 10:41AM) (new)

Violetta (violetta098) Cosmos wrote: "Hi, Violetta. What's new with you?"

Not much. I have a biology test tomorrow and a Spanish test on Friday, along with that I have some other homework... so I'm currently solving some math problems. There is not much happening in my life at the moment (because school), but I was in a meeting yesterday. We discussed feminism and ate cinnamon rolls (because Cinnamon Bun Day). How about you? What's going on in your life? :)


message 19: by Cosmos (new)

Cosmos | 927 comments I want to ask this girl out but I'm afraid to. My mom is still in the hospital. I aced an English test in school.

Not much else.


message 20: by Violetta (new)

Violetta (violetta098) Cosmos wrote: "I want to ask this girl out but I'm afraid to. My mom is still in the hospital. I aced an English test in school.

Not much else."


Happy to hear about the English test. Is your mom feeling better? I'm not the best advisor when it comes to romance. Has she shown any signs of interest? There really isn't many dangers with asking anyone out, the worst thing that can happen is that she says no. But who knows, maybe she is your future wife? Haha.


message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma Violetta wrote: "Our teacher said something similar. We had to write a novel, but our teacher wouldn't look at it, so we didn't have to think about the grade. I think it was a good way to free your thoughts and peo..."

One of the methods for finding a thesis or theme in critical writing is to write down random thoughts after reading an article. And sometimes from those thoughts emerges what you were looking for- a thesis, a solid opinion, or a theme. So, to answer your question, I agree with you.
Writing should be fun, and you shouldn't do it if you don't enjoy it, because your writing will be dry. You'd be able to tell if an author didn't enjoy writing their books, because their plot would be rushed and their characters shallow.
I wanted to know someone else's thoughts, because I'm going to try writing like that. It was the first time I'd received that advice before.


message 22: by Z28Q ZQuteMale (last edited Oct 06, 2016 02:35AM) (new)

Z28Q ZQuteMale | 117 comments Violetta wrote in answer to Cosmos: "Cosmos wrote: "Why do women's nipples shrink in cold weather? Hmmm....."
   Violetta wrote:
Don't guy's nipples do that too? I'm pretty sure they do. Skin shrinks in cold to decrease heat loss (making less surface o..."


    I think Cosmos really wanted to know when changes in a woman's nipples are a sign of arousal. (I will attempt to use common clichés and expressions. Correct me if I'm wrong). So I would speculate that if they are not erect, that they're getting the "cold shoulder" and not "glad-handed."
    Am I right that euphemism is used as a strategy to ensure courtesy when vulgar subjects are broached?
    These indirections for indiscretions are difficult to understand. But I suppose it's a way to enforce taboos. It would seem to be quite arduous to have illuminating discussions with these impediments.


message 23: by Z28Q ZQuteMale (new)

Z28Q ZQuteMale | 117 comments Violetta wrote: "...I think I agree that we should write for ourselves and about things we like and are passionate about. Writing is supposed to be fun and you should enjoy it. BUT, if you are going to publish your text, then I feel like you should look it through and think about what you write."

For my School paper, I'm supposed to observe observe and write about modes of communication on Earth. It's very frustrating and I'm homesick for my planet. But for my assignment I'm suppose to immerse myself in these primitive conditions. I'm not sure how writing could be fun when there are so many restraints and limits to this type of expression. I'm not so sure that if I go out and meet shallow characters that they will be willing to elaborate their full self to the point of fascination. Perhaps an inner brightness and glow will surprise me. I hope so. I want to get a good grade because otherwise I won't be allowed to travel anymore (or at least I won't have the money for it through a scholarship).


message 24: by Cosmos (new)

Cosmos | 927 comments Thanks for the shrinking nipple answers!


message 25: by Violetta (new)

Violetta (violetta098) Emma wrote: "Violetta wrote: "Our teacher said something similar. We had to write a novel, but our teacher wouldn't look at it, so we didn't have to think about the grade. I think it was a good way to free your..."

I see. Yes, books have a way of uncovering a person's feelings and personality. When someone writes something as long as a book, you usually get a tiny view on their feelings, experiences and thoughts. It's pretty interesting actually. I will try and think about that advice next time I write a story too, it's a great tip :)


message 26: by Violetta (new)

Violetta (violetta098) Z28Q ZQuteMale wrote: "
Violetta wrote in answer to
Cosmos: "Cosmos wrote: "Why do women's nipples shrink in cold weather? Hmmm....."
   Violetta wrote:
Don't guy's nipples do that too? I'm pretty sure they do. Skin s..."


Ah, okay. English isn't my native language, so I misunderstand phrases sometimes. It's especially hard when you can't see a person's face or hear their tone of voice :)


message 27: by Cosmos (new)

Cosmos | 927 comments So true, Violetta.


message 28: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Gilbert | 226 comments Emma wrote: "I am reading a book about writing, and it says to write for ourselves, to not think of anyone but our characters and ourselves when we write. The book says that the reason writers' block is a thing is because we try to sensor or change our writing to be acceptable in today's society.
..."


I know I have to change my writing because no one is reading it and so some aspect of it must be changed to the reader's taste. Sometimes a street vendor can not sell pizza-and-anchovy flavored Ice Cream even if his best friends like it and they are noble but quirky characters with character. I don't think I understand what "writing for myself would mean." I don't think I'd want to read my thoughts in a book because I've already heard them and I'm bored with them. I think other people's thoughts would be more interesting, as would things be interesting that I know nothing about. I'd prefer to pretend to be someone I'm not and know secrets I don't really know like the secret of writing a good book.


message 29: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Gilbert | 226 comments Violetta wrote: "...We had to write a novel, but our teacher wouldn't look at it, so we didn't have to think about the grade. I think it was a good way to free your thoughts...Writing is supposed to be fun and you should enjoy it."

Trying to express my thoughts clearly so everyone will understand them is very difficult and painful, so writing is not fun at all. Although sometimes, someone will misunderstand the meaning I intended in a poem and will enjoy the meaning they bring to it. That's OK with me. Sometimes I say, "If anyone asks me what the poem means, I will give your interpretation." It's great when they see a lot more than I intended to set in the words, and their interpretation is more elegant than mine. Well, it's pretty rare when that happens. I think I read somewhere that that's called creative misunderstanding where people disagree but by each's weird interpretation of what they think the other one said, they are both satisfied. It's almost like those treaties where both ambassadors go home to their countries and tell their people "We won! They lost!"


message 30: by Violetta (new)

Violetta (violetta098) Douglas wrote: "Violetta wrote: "...We had to write a novel, but our teacher wouldn't look at it, so we didn't have to think about the grade. I think it was a good way to free your thoughts...Writing is supposed t..."

I understand. I think it's great when you can write/draw something that can have different meanings to different people, it means it's thoughtful. Take this picture, for example:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/...

It can be interpreted in many ways and there is not really any right or wrong :)


message 31: by Awesome, The Super Awesome Mod (new)

Awesome Momi | 1052 comments Mod
lol!!!*bursts out laughing *sorry i had to get that out:)
NIPPLES?!sERIOUSLY!?!WOW:)
U SUre are having fun:)


message 32: by Violetta (new)

Violetta (violetta098) Hahah :D


message 33: by Awesome, The Super Awesome Mod (new)

Awesome Momi | 1052 comments Mod
i know right?!:)
u can expect anthing from us awsum people:)


message 34: by Violetta (last edited Oct 10, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Violetta (violetta098) Truee, hahah.

Have you seen this agate stone? It looks like a photograph of the ocean, it's very pretty!
https://66.media.tumblr.com/18d2e82fd...


message 35: by Awesome, The Super Awesome Mod (new)

Awesome Momi | 1052 comments Mod
i will check it out surely:D


back to top