Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 2. Will Dmitri reform in prison?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour 2. Is it likely that Dmitri will change once he is free?

message 2: by Kristel (last edited Nov 04, 2016 05:42PM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4106 comments Mod
I don't think he will. I felt that Dmitri would suffer a lot because he didn't seem to understand why people were treating him differently that used to show him respect.

But then again, Dmitri does believe in morality and is willing to suffer because he accepts that he has done a lot wrong though is innocent of his father's murder. Maybe he can change, his impassivity may cool a little while he is in prison.

message 3: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1984 comments Mod
I don't think he will as he is already planning his escape and how to make a life with Grushenka

message 4: by John (new)

John Seymour Funny question, I thought it was fairly clear that Dmitri won't make it to prison, with the escape in the works.

It seems likely that he may reform in America, however, as long as Grushenka is with him.

message 5: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4106 comments Mod
Maybe the person who came up with question felt the plan to avoid prison and go to America failed.

message 6: by John (new)

John Seymour I should have read the question rather than the portion that was in the header. I don't recall where I got this one from, but it seems like they have two different ideas in mind - reform in prison, ala Raskolnikov, or when free, which I originally took to be after prison, but which could be after an escape.

message 7: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1409 comments As he was sentenced to twenty years, it would be hoped that he would be changed after all that hard labour! I thought the bit about him thinking that going to America would be not too different from going to Siberia quite amusing. It seems that Dostoyevsky had a dim view of the States.