Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod
Even though I feel winter drawing near, I have to admit, Autumn is my favorite time of the year. Today I bought some coffee that slightly flavored with apple and caramel. It's quite tasty. I also bought a pumpkin pie flavored coffee, but haven't tried it, yet.

With lunch I had a pumpkin beer that was very nice, but made me so sleepy...

What do you think of Autumn? Love it? Hate it? Why?

message 2: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 53 comments I always like the colors of autumn. I used to be into photography, and this is such a great time to get color.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 268 comments My favorite season is Spring, with everything brightening up and turning green after the winter, and the promise of warm weekends lazing on the deck. But I enjoy each season in its own way. With the cycle of seasons we can appreciate the different pleasures of each.

Autumn brings cozy fires in the wood stove (looks like we're going to light our first today) and hearty soups and stews.

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I miss proper autumns. By the time it gets chilly enough to spring for the obligatory pumpkin spice latte, Starbucks has moved on to peppermint mochas and jazzy Christmas carols. But even here, it's definitely my favorite season.

message 5: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Ian wrote: "...and hearty soups and stews. "

Yes! I made my first soup of the season two nights ago - pork and bean soup, using chopped up country ribs. Quite tasty!

message 6: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Autumn means crisp apples and clean white paper for school. New knee socks, and shoes that pinch. Getting dressed for the cold in the morning and peeling off the layers in the warm afternoon. Watching the sun sink low in the sky as it casts a golden quality that gilds the landscape. Even after decades of discovering these things, they never fail to fill me with delight and wonder. Each season is like unwrapping a gift of unexpected treasure and I find myself saying, 'Oh, I forgot how much I enjoyed that!"

message 7: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments Autumn is my absolute favorite! I love to bake up a storm. I love egg nog, zucchini bread, toasted pumpkin seeds, and a crackling fire...perfect weather before the snow really hits :).

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments We live in New England in the US because we like all 4 seasons. Many argue we haven't had 4 proper seasons in decades, and we are among them. Still... I like fall for evenings on the sofa under a fluffy throw blanket reading a book. When I was a child, I looked forward to the new school year, notebooks, and colorful pens and pencils. Now I have those all year long. I like winter for the beautiful snow and my favorite family holidays. I also enjoy cutting up meat and veggies and tossing them into the crock-pot, like my ham and split pea stew. I can do without shoveling when we get 4 feet dumped on us. Spring comes in just when I'm tired of wearing heavy clothing and brings colorful and fragrant flowers. Everything begins anew. I like summer for beach season. My absolute favorite relaxing activity is to walk along the shoreline with the waves rolling over my feet.

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Sue (Dog Mom) wrote: "We live in New England in the US because we like all 4 seasons. Many argue we haven't had 4 proper seasons in decades, and we are among them. Still... I like fall for evenings on the sofa under a f..."

Ah, I miss New England fall! We have a few trees that turn, but nothing like the hills of blazing color you get up in Vermont.

message 10: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Autumn is by far my favorite season. Always has been. Even though it gives me the blues and I feel like crying all the time in fall. (Don't ask me why. I have no idea).

Anyways, the trees are beautiful, the weather just cold enough to wear a sweatshirt. The crisp air has a special scent to it too. And I like the sound my footsteps make when I walk in the dead leaves. What's not to like about fall?

Last but not least, I love the fall colors. If it were only up to me, the whole house would be painted and decorated in fall colors all year long.

While I kind of like Halloween, I am not a fan of any holidays, so if I love fall, it has nothing to with them.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments Christina, Ah, Vermont, the home of maple syrup. Yum! I love those maple sugar candies... in moderation, of course.

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments This morning, in England (or at least in my bit of it) the sky is a pellucid blue, the air is as crisp and clean as a brand-new paper bag and there's just enough coolth to need a gilet when walking the dog.

I love it...

message 13: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments I love the musty smell: the leaves have turned sultry colours and waft their scent into the air.

I love apples; I made sausage, apple & cider for dinner the other day. Served with mash potatoes. Just autumn on a plate.

I love open fires (not that I have one in my house yet), snuggling under blankets.

Tues night I lit my first candles of the season.

I love the nights drawing in.

I love Samhain is just around the corner.

I love the calming energy as we gently quieten into our time of rest (if only we were allowed to do so properly in these modern times).

And bonfires; nothing beats that smoky smell. Maybe a hot jacket potato in gloved hands whilst watching fireworks (as I used to do).

message 14: by Missy (new)

Missy Sheldrake (missysheldrake) | 252 comments Yup. Fall is good. Me like.

message 15: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Sue (Dog Mom) wrote: "Ah, Vermont, the home of maple syrup."

The only time of my life I haven't lived in Iowa was three months spent in Vermont. And it was Autumn. I thought I didn't like maple syrup, but then when I was there and had the real stuff... yeah, I like that.

message 16: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Carole wrote: "...and shoes that pinch. "

That sounds unpleasant in any season. I've never liked wearing shoes, even ones that don't pinch.

message 17: by Angel (new)

Angel | 216 comments Autumn is good for my writing gigs. But I'm a summer type of gal.

message 18: by Christina (last edited Oct 02, 2016 07:14AM) (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Sue (Dog Mom) wrote: "Christina, Ah, Vermont, the home of maple syrup. Yum! I love those maple sugar candies... in moderation, of course."

I can buy the candies down here at World Market, but they honestly don't taste the same. And cider! I miss fresh cider. A glass of cider and a fresh from the fryer doughnut is the best bad for you breakfast ever!

message 19: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (last edited Oct 02, 2016 07:23AM) (new)

Christina wrote: "A glass of cider and a fresh from the fryer doughnut is the best bad for you breakfast ever! "

Maybe, but right now I'm having a hunk of pumpkin pie with a big dollop of whipped cream. That's gotta be close in the running.

message 20: by Missy (new)

Missy Sheldrake (missysheldrake) | 252 comments Dwayne wrote: "Christina wrote: "A glass of cider and a fresh from the fryer doughnut is the best bad for you breakfast ever! "

Maybe, but right now I'm having a hunk of pumpkin pie with a big dollop of whipped ..."

Right now, I'm very tempted to go to Costco and get one of their enormous pumpkin pies. But, considering I'm the only one in the house who will eat it, that's probably a Bad Idea.

message 21: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Missy wrote: "Right now, I'm very tempted to go to Costco and get one of their enormous pumpkin pies. But, considering I'm the only one in the house who will eat it, that's probably a Bad Idea.
"

My wife hates pumpkin pie and I don't share with the dogs... what does that tell you? I embrace Bad Ideas!

message 22: by Missy (new)

Missy Sheldrake (missysheldrake) | 252 comments Dwayne wrote: "Missy wrote: "Right now, I'm very tempted to go to Costco and get one of their enormous pumpkin pies. But, considering I'm the only one in the house who will eat it, that's probably a Bad Idea.
"

..."

Let's be besties!

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments Missy, Mmmmmmm... Jumbo Pies... That's all places like Cosco, Bj's, and Sam's Club make. Bless their little baking hangs. : )

Dwayne, Pie no good for doggies, so you're actually doing them a favor by keeping it to yourself. : )

Christina, I can only eat a few of those candies at a time, and yes, they must come from Vermont or it's just sugar. : )

message 24: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (psramsey) | 33 comments I would love autumn if it didn't lead directly into my mortal enemy, winter.

message 25: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Peggy wrote: "I would love autumn if it didn't lead directly into my mortal enemy, winter."

The very reason I moved south. I miss fall, but eff winter.

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jesinghaus (jessjesinghhaus) | 78 comments Mmm. Love me some fall weather! Crisp, cold, foggy mornings. The smell of rain-soaked earth. Making venison jerky in the smoker. Best time of the year by far!

message 27: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments “October, baptize me with leaves! Swaddle me in corduroy and nurse me with split pea soup. October, tuck tiny candy bars in my pockets and carve my smile into a thousand pumpkins. O autumn! O teakettle! O grace!” - Rainbow Rowell, Attachments

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments For the past 2 weeks, we've had fall weather. Today, it was 75 degrees and sticky humid. Yuk.

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sanderson | 19 comments I'm in the wrong hemisphere! It's spring in Australia but it's been a pretty crazy one, with some very cold nights still and storms knocking us around a bit. So good to see the blossom and the sun starting to come out though....

message 30: by C.B. Matson (new)

C.B. Matson | 143 comments Love summer... moved to the south an' get 90 deg/90%, yeah! Seriously, love it when the mushrooms grow as big as soup kettles and the grass needs mowing twice a week just to keep it below knee level. Love to go logging in the enchanted forest (bushwhacking in the back yard). Love the days that start at 6:00 am and don't quit until 9:00 pm.

Fall is nice, but anyone can go out an' walk around in 72 deg weather. Detest pumpkin spice anything... sorry ('cept'n pie that is).