I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What are you reading right now? > What are you reading right now? (October 2016)

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 570 comments Mod
What comics are you reading right now? Have you added any new pulls lately? Dropped any?

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 24 comments I finished volume 2 of the Avengers:Initiative. I will keep going with it but my heart isn't in it. I am going to start Pride of Baghdad next to celebrate the ending of Banned Book Week.

message 3: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 603 comments Mod
Pride of Baghdad is great, get some Kleenex ready for the ride.

message 4: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

I have it in my head that I need to get through my backlist of trades (on top of binge-reading the Bleach manga because I'm a doof).

I read Disquiet which was a nice little anthology of stories. It's Van Sciver doing what he does well with comics: telling stories that are sad, somehow funny, and all-too-real.

And after putting off X-Men books for a few issues, I finally caught up on those. None of them are great, just "okay" and/or "blah," unfortunately

message 5: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's haul:

Green Arrow 8
Aquaman 8
Bombshells 18
Cage! 1
Jessica Jones 1
Champions 1
Clean Room 12
Harley Quinn 5
Nightwing 6
Shadow: Death of Margo Lane 5
Spider-Man 2099 16
Squadron Supreme 12

message 6: by Kate (new)

Wayland wrote: "This week's haul:

Green Arrow 8
Aquaman 8
Bombshells 18
Cage! 1
Jessica Jones 1
Champions 1
Clean Room 12
Harley Quinn 5
Nightwing 6
Shadow: Death of Margo Lane 5
Spider-Man 2099 16
Squadron Supre..."

I got so confused when I saw the Now! imprint at my shop on Wednesday. I wasn't sure if Jessica Jones etc. were reprints or a new series or what? I mean, I definitely remember there being a whole Marvel Now line already so...

I got home and googled it - found out that the old line is called Marvel Now and the new line is called Marvel Now! I'm pretty convinced Marvel is trolling us...

message 7: by Kate (new)

Just finished reading this week's pull list.

Green Valley was definitely the best, but I was also surprised by how much I'm enjoying The Night of the Monster Men event. The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 4: Rising Action was as good as I expected.

I also impulse bought Death of X #1. I may have fallen off the Extraordinary X-men bandwagon, but I still need to know what happened...

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 24 comments Definitely trolling, Kate.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 24 comments I liked Pride of Baghdad, but I wish it wouldn't have ended so soon. I feel like there could have been a lot more moral exploration with a few more pages of the lions going around and seeing the waste and destruction caused by man.

Next up, I'm starting Infinity (this volume, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) and am pretty early into the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments This week I read X-O Manowar, Volume 1: By The Sword, Batgirl, Vol. 4: Wanted, and The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 1: The Last Iron Fist Story. I enjoyed all of these a lot. I'm glad I decided to pick up volume 4 of Batgirl. Volumes 2 and 3 weren't very strong, so I put this one off for a while.

I should be starting Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible soon. Also, Dream Gang, which I won a copy of through Goodreads.

message 11: by James (new)

James Hahn | 38 comments I just pounded a ton of coffee and blasted through some backlog. I read Jonesy v1 as per Mike's vehement support on the podcast, and was delighted. That magical realism gets me every time, I loved how she started every issue with "This is the worst day ever" lol.
Nailbiter v4 really got me good. I did not see the twist at the end coming (no spoilers) but this horror/mystery keeps me guessing at every turn. Just when you think you've got a character fully understood, they act in a dynamic way that keeps me invested.
X-Force v2 was a Rick-o-Remender-ation from Mike, and damn I have not been so invested in an XMen book since I read Morissons run. Its weird reading Deadpool in this context, when I'm also reading Posehn's epic run (check it out), which is a lot more light-hearted.
I also have been catching up on Copra and Fresh Romance, 2 titles that could not be more different. Fresh Romance gives me more of my magical realism kick, with some heartwarming romance that keeps my faith in reality (even though its fiction, I'm weird don't judge me). Copra is just insanity and keeping up alone is a struggle, but for some reason I can't get enough of it. The art is bonkers, the characters are bonkers, but I love love love it.
I'll be reading Sabrina for the second time, but I look forward to talking about my love for the book with you guys.

message 12: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Late because I've been on vacation, but this week's haul was:

Lone Ranger/Green Hornet 4
Batgirl & Birds of Prey 3
Power Man & Iron Fist 9
Detective Comics 942
Moon Knight 7
Great Lakes Avengers 1
The Strain: Mister Quinlan Vampire Hunter 1

message 13: by Crumpets&Arsenic (new)

Crumpets&Arsenic | 24 comments Finished Spider-Man/Deadpool (2016-) #1 this weekend. It was a lot of fun and a good read. :)

Planning on reading the following in the next week or so when I can fit them in:
Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 3
The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk

message 14: by Kate (new)

Wayland wrote: "Late because I've been on vacation, but this week's haul was:

Lone Ranger/Green Hornet 4
Batgirl & Birds of Prey 3
Power Man & Iron Fist 9
Detective Comics 942
Moon Knight 7
Great Lakes Avengers 1..."

Wayland let us know how Great Lakes Avengers is! I went back and forth on adding it to my pull, and ultimately ended up adding Green Valley instead. I've been thinking about getting issue 1 in digital anyway though, because who needs a budget anyway, right?!

message 15: by Kate (new)

James wrote: "I just pounded a ton of coffee and blasted through some backlog. I read Jonesy v1 as per Mike's vehement support on the podcast, and was delighted. That magical realism gets me every time, I loved ..."

Jonesy's on my TBR list too. THANKS A LOT MIKE! :P

message 16: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 9 comments I finally found my Lock & Key buried under stuff in my craft room. I plan to finish it this week.

message 17: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's haul:
Thor 12
Mockingbird 8
Green Arrow 9
Aquaman 9
Nightwing 7
Sam Wilson Captain America 14
Harley Quinn 6
Invincible Iron Man 12
Black Widow 7
Infamous Iron Man 1 (ok I admit, I was curious)
Torchwood 2

message 18: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

All-New X-Men #14
Archie #13
Batman #9
Black Hammer #4
Black Widow #7
Dark Knight III: The Master Race #6
Death of X #2
Dept. H #7
Mockingbird #8

And my thoughts...

message 19: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Damn. Hadn't realized until I read it that 8 was the final issue of Mockingbird. I was enjoying that one...

message 20: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

UGH! Same here, Wayland. I was really liking that book.

message 21: by Kate (new)

WHAT?!!! They canceled Mockingbird?!!! *ugly sobbing*

message 22: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Kate wrote: "WHAT?!!! They canceled Mockingbird?!!! *ugly sobbing*"

Sadly, yes. My review of the final issue is up for those who care to read it.

https://comicbookclog.com/2016/10/21/...

message 23: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Gibson | 13 comments I am reading a lot of Graphic novels of New 52. I just finished volumes 1 and 2 of Batman with the Court of Owl story-line and loved them. Scott Snyder does a great job writing for Batman.
New release wise I love both Nightwing and Titans Re-birth.

message 24: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Agh. I need to finish Snyder's run. I got through Graveyard Shift but haven't gone back to finish!

message 25: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments I have to admit, the entire Court of Owls was one of my least favorite DCNU creations. I never bought the idea that there was a whole secret organization in Gotham that Batman never knew about. Aside from that, I liked Snyder's run.

message 26: by James (new)

James Hahn | 38 comments just finished Morrison's run on Batman, pretty sure Snyder's was superior. except professor pyg was awesome

message 27: by Kate (new)

Wayland wrote: "I have to admit, the entire Court of Owls was one of my least favorite DCNU creations. I never bought the idea that there was a whole secret organization in Gotham that Batman never knew about. Asi..."

Really?! Wow, The Court of Owls is one of my favorite Batman stories! I had only read a few Batman titles before coming to it though.

message 28: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments I just had trouble believing that Batman, with his knowledge of Gotham, deductive skills, and occasionally superhuman allies, had no idea this complex organization was lurking in the background for decades.

message 29: by Kate (last edited Oct 25, 2016 02:33PM) (new)

Wayland wrote: "I just had trouble believing that Batman, with his knowledge of Gotham, deductive skills, and occasionally superhuman allies, had no idea this complex organization was lurking in the background for..."

Yeah that makes sense. I think that wasn't a problem for me just because I hadn't read much Batman before it. I didn't know any better (about his skills etc.).

message 30: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Making my way through Sabrina, also swimming in the final volumes of the available English Bleach volumes....

message 31: by Kate (new)

Really sad about the last issue of Vision coming out tomorrow. It's been my favorite ongoing since it started last November. More of my thoughts on the matter and the rest of this week's pull list here.

With Vision and Mockingbird gone, I'm in the market for new titles to add to my pull. Any recommendations?

message 32: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's haul (and wow I had no idea so many books were getting cancelled)

Serenity: No Power in the Verse 1
Ms. Marvel 12
Star Wars 24
Titans 4
Steve Rogers: Captain America 6
Agents of SHIELD 10 (final issue)
Suicide Squad 5
All New All Different Avengers 15 (final issue)
Doctor Fate 17
Detective Comics 943
Blue Beetle 2
Nighthawk 6
Vigilante: Southland 1

message 33: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Well this is horrific and unacceptable. I'll be posting a piece about it later.

http://www.cbr.com/mockingbird-writer...

message 34: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Ugh. It's a whole thing. Did you see her update on her blog?

message 35: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments I have not as yet. I have done my own piece on it.

https://comicbookclog.com/2016/10/28/...

message 36: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Yes, it's November, but I read this in October. Jessica Jones 1 review

https://comicbookclog.com/2016/11/01/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.