Shakespeare Fans discussion

Shakepeare Inspired Work > Rewriting Shakespeare

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 85 comments This seems appropriate for a Shakespeare Inspired Work thread.

36 playwrights have been asked to rewrite Shakespeare into "contemporary modern English."

Maybe something like:

To live, or to die? That's I gotta decide.
Whether it's better to go on putting up with life's shit
Or just eat my gun and, well, sayonara life.
But, well, it's what happens then that bugs me.
Nobody knows whether it's really good or really ba.
And the chance that it's really bad
Is what makes most of us keep putting up with life.

How about it. Isn't this, after all, what Shakespeare would have written if he were writing today?

Oh -- a link to the story:
http://nyti.ms/2cYz3I8

message 2: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) Sigh!
I wish this rewriting didn't happen so often!

Explain the plot, the jokes and the social contexts then take the kids to SEE a play.

message 3: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel | 173 comments 'Maybe something like:
To live, or to die? That's I gotta decide...Isn't this, after all, what Shakespeare would have written if he were writing today?'
I trust you're being ironical. He wrote in such a way that the top level of meaning - the relatively simple story which can be grasped immediately and keeps the action going, signals other levels that operate below the surface or can be accessed by seeing it again or reading. I don't think his language was meant to be wholly transparent even in his own time. The editors of the first folio say 'Read him again and again, and if you do not like him, surely you are in some manifest danger not to understabnd him'.

message 4: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 85 comments Gabriel wrote: "'I trust you're being ironical. He wrote in s..."

Moi? Ironical??

message 5: by Candy (new)

Candy | 2638 comments Mod
LOL