Hey Scoops discussion

Infinite Jest
This topic is about Infinite Jest
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Oct/Nov Infinite Jest Discussion > Oct/Nov Infinite Jest General discission

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moxie (new) - added it

Moxie (evilpun) | 13 comments Use this thread to talk about our current book club selection.

Richard Hill (cosmicharley) | 6 comments Good luck everyone. Stick with it

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Gruner | 2 comments I tried to read this once before. I got maybe 10% into it and bogged down. The bright side is that my library made some serious bank off my late fees.

I still want to read it.

Richard Hill (cosmicharley) | 6 comments I'm struggling badly everytime the junkie voice takes a chapter. I have serious problems reading badly spelled words with poor grammar. I know its just an effect, but I can't read those parts very easily.

And yes, the Kate Gompert stuff is very close to the bone and true.

I didn't realise Wallace had died... wikipaedia here I come...

Richard Hill (cosmicharley) | 6 comments I really struggled with Trainspotting despite it being a romp and fairly short. When the movie came out, they sounded like they were speaking English in a Scottish accent, but reading it... ugh, loads of words that don't exist.... Nonsense ( Lear/ Carrol etc.)is okay, but this book is so packed full of really deep and important concepts, it just seems like he's tried to make the 'wisdom' hidden for the noble explorer to uncover.

Ulysses was a great romp, passionate and rhythmical, but this... I can't find the rhythm.

I doubt I'll have it finished by the end of November :-(

Richard Hill (cosmicharley) | 6 comments I feel really bad about suggesting this book. Its beating me, but I'm trying hard. there's some really funny, truly laugh out loud parts, but its still tough. I'm starting to get worried its just a long shaggy doggy story too.
I can always blame Paul for bringing it up onan episode of ICS as the best book he ever read.

47% in, but starting to drown ( on kindle).

I can't do audiobooks sadly. I tend to sleep through them.

message 7: by Terrenceobrien (new)

Terrenceobrien | 1 comments Hey scoop readers! I've got a copy of Infinite Jest with a bookmark stuck a couple hundred pages in. I'll pick up where I left off. I hope this group gets me motivated. I'd like to honestly claim to be a reader once again.

message 8: by Moxie (new) - added it

Moxie (evilpun) | 13 comments Terrenceobrien wrote: "Hey scoop readers! I've got a copy of Infinite Jest with a bookmark stuck a couple hundred pages in. I'll pick up where I left off. I hope this group gets me motivated. I'd like to honestly claim t..."

That is the reason I created this group, to try to inspired more scoops to pick up more books :D

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.