Read 100+ Books in 2016 discussion

October challenge

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
Summer is finally over. The cooler air is coming in. And the holiday season will soon be upon us. I hope you are getting some good reading time in. I know I am. It seems that's all I want to do. So on to this month's themes.

1. Read an author whose last name begins with T.
2. Read a book that uses Halloween as its backdrop.
3. Read a book about Native Americans.
4. Read a book about horses.
5. World Series time is upon us so read a book about baseball.
6. If you are reading a series, read the next book in it.
7. Read a book about communication.
8. Read a whose cover is at least 50% green.
9. Your choice

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Whispers (The Glenbrooke Series #2) by Robin Jones Gunn -Robin Jones Gunn 10-1-16
I really enjoyed this sweet and amusing Christian romance. The characters were well drawn, and I liked the plot a lot. Also, I truly enjoyed seeing how the protagonist grew not only as a person but as a believer. This series is full of both great characters and great stories where character lessons and spiritual truths are interwoven with the fun plots.

Echoes (Glenbrooke, #3) by Robin Jones Gunn -Robin Jones Gunn 10-2-16
I really enjoyed this sweet and amusing Christian romance. The characters were well drawn, and I liked the plot a lot. Also, I truly enjoyed seeing how the protagonist grew not only as a person but as a believer. This series is full of both great characters and great stories where character lessons and spiritual truths are interwoven with the fun plots.

Sunsets (Glenbrooke, #4) by Robin Jones Gunn -Robin Jones Gunn 10-2-16
I enjoyed this sweet and amusing Christian romance. The characters were well drawn, and I liked the plot. I must admit though that the couple in this novel is my least favorite of those portrayed in the Glenbrooke series so far. However, I still enjoyed seeing how the protagonist grew not only as a person but as a believer. This series is full of both great characters and great stories where character lessons and spiritual truths are interwoven with the fun plots.

Clouds (Glenbrooke) by Robin Jones Gunn -Robin Jones Gunn 10-3-16
I really enjoyed this sweet and amusing Christian romance. The characters were well drawn, and I liked the plot a lot. Also, I truly enjoyed seeing how the protagonist grew not only as a person but as a believer. Since I've read this volume of the series several times growing up, I'm rather nostalgic about this particular story about Shelly and Jonathan, and now I like it even more after having seen where the story fits into the series overall and knowing who some of the characters are better now that I've read their stories as well. Even though I think any of the books of this series could stand alone, I do see how the books do build on one another, so I would recommend reading the series in order if possible. Anyhow, this series is full of both great characters and great stories where character lessons and spiritual truths are interwoven with the fun plots.

Waterfalls (Glenbrooke #6) by Robin Jones Gunn -Robin Jones Gunn 10-6-16

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "Whispers (The Glenbrooke Series #2) by Robin Jones Gunn-Robin Jones Gunn 10-1-16
I really enjoyed this sweet and amusing Christian romance. The characters were well drawn, and I liked the plot a lot. Also, I truly enjoyed se..."

Is this a series or standalones by the author? They sound like good reads.

message 4: by Sheila (last edited Nov 04, 2016 09:07PM) (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
So here are my reads for October. It's been so busy.

6/9, 17 books

1. Read an author whose last name begins with T.
2. Read a book that uses Halloween as its backdrop. The Vampire's Mail Order Bride by Kristen Painter--finished 10/11/16 The Vampire's Mail Order Bride (Nocturne Falls, #1) by Kristen Painter
3. Read a book about Native Americans.
4. Read a book about horses.
5. World Series time is upon us so read a book about baseball--Spring Training by Roz Lee--finished 10/21/16. Spring Training (Mustangs Baseball #5) by Roz Lee
6. If you are reading a series, read the next book in it--The Legend of Diamond Lil by Doreen Cronin--finished 10/4/16 The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2) by Doreen Cronin
7. Read a book about communication. Darcy Sweeps Left by Jane Austen and Courtney Carbone--finished 10/10/16 Darcy Swipes Left by Courtney Carbone
8. Read a whose cover is at least 50% green. And Four To Go by Rex Stout--finished 10/18/16 And Four to Go (Nero Wolfe #30) by Rex Stout
9. Your choice--Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger--finished 10/6/16
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Bonus reads:
Ravished by the Boss by Ava Sterling--finished 10/4/16 Ravished By the Boss by Ava Sterling
The MAD Adventures of Captain Klutz by Don Martin--finished 10/10/16 The Mad Adventures of Captain Klutz by Don Martin
My Sister the Vampire: Switched by Sienna Mercer--finished 10/15/16 Switched (My Sister the Vampire, #1) by Sienna Mercer
The Chicken Squad by Doreen Cronin--finished 10/15/16 The Chicken Squad The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad, #1) by Doreen Cronin
The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken--Doreen Cronin--finished 10/15/16 The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken The Next Misadventure (Chicken Squad Adventure, #2) by Doreen Cronin
Into the Wild by Doreen Cronin--finished 10/16/16 Into the Wild Yet Another Misadventure (The Chicken Squad Book 3) by Doreen Cronin
Seducing My Lesbian Professor by Ava Sterling--finished 10/24/16
Holiday Politics by V. Vaugn--finished 10/24/16
Caroline Goes Canoeing by Brian Clifford--finished 10/24/16 Caroline Goes Canoeing (Caroline's Adventures) by Brian Clifford
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson--finished 10/27/16
Up the Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman--finished 10/31/16 Up the Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sheila wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Whispers (The Glenbrooke Series #2) by Robin Jones Gunn-Robin Jones Gunn 10-1-16
I really enjoyed this sweet and amusing Christian romance. The characters were well drawn, and I liked the plot a lot. Also, I t..."

It is a series, but you wouldn't be lost starting with just one of them. I read the 5th book, which I own, several times and have finally gotten around to reading the whole series, and while it does add to the depth of the further stories by reading the previous ones because in most of the books, the main couple or at least the main woman, is introduced in one or more of the previous books.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Woodlands (Glenbrooke #7) by Robin Jones Gunn -Robin Jones Gunn 10-7-16
I enjoyed this sweet and amusing Christian romance, but I must admit that it is my least favorite of the series. However, the characters were well drawn, and I liked the plot. Also, I truly enjoyed seeing how the protagonist grew not only as a person but as a believer. This series is full of both great characters and great stories where character lessons and spiritual truths are interwoven with the fun plots.

Wildflowers (The Glenbrooke Series #8) by Robin Jones Gunn -Robin Jones Gunn 10-9-16
I really enjoyed this sweet and amusing Christian romance--the truly unique factor of this volume of the series is that the couple focused on in this romance are already married, and we get to see how they grow closer together and truly fall in love with one another as the woman grows in Christ and the man comes to know Christ. The characters were well drawn, and I liked the plot a lot. This series is full of both great characters and great stories where character lessons and spiritual truths are interwoven with the fun plots.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien -J.R.R. Tolkien 10-19-16
This is the first installment of Tolkien's classic fantasy epic, and as such, it is exceedingly well written with brilliantly drawn characters.

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 21 comments I haven't posted in a while but I've been reading much. I've read many Star Wars books and many of the Warriors series. Both are some of my favorite series to read. One of the best books I've read recently is "The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry". It was amazing. It told the story of how a bookstore owner's life is changed by one interesting package. The characters entertained me with the way they interacted and their connections to each other. I loved this book. I would recommend it highly. I even saw this as a recommendation in one of our local bookstores, Mystery Lovers Books.
Right now, I am working on Star Wars "Outbound Flight" by Timothy Zahn, one of my favorite Star Wars writers and Phillip Roth's "American Pastoral". I'll let you know about both. Soon I shall start reading for Christmas.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien -J.R.R. Tolkien 10-25-16
This is the second installment of Tolkien's classic fantasy epic, and as such, it is exceedingly well written with brilliantly drawn characters.

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
Colleen wrote: "I haven't posted in a while but I've been reading much. I've read many Star Wars books and many of the Warriors series. Both are some of my favorite series to read. One of the best books I've read ..."

I loved The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry. I fell in love with him.

message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien-J.R.R. Tolkien 10-25-16
This is the second installment of Tolkien's classic fantasy epic, and as such, it is exceedingly well written with brilliantly drawn charact..."

How are you finding them? I have them but I look at them and see how huge they are and groan and read something else.

message 12: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 21 comments Sheila, I liked the Lord of the Rings trilogy. They do require some time to read but I'm finding that to be true of most books considered to be literary in nature. They are worth reading.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sheila wrote: "Rachel wrote: "The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien-J.R.R. Tolkien 10-25-16
This is the second installment of Tolkien's classic fantasy epic, and as such, it is exceedingly well written with brilliantl..."

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. My new baby keeps me a bit busier. :) Anyhow, I really love the Lord of the Rings trilogy ever since I first devoured them as a teenager after watching the first movie. And like Colleen said, it may take a while to read them, but they are definitely worth reading, Sometimes I just have to read a literary classic and take a break from dumber books, you know? :)

message 14: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Rachel wrote: "The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien-J.R.R. Tolkien 10-25-16
This is the second installment of Tolkien's classic fantasy epic, and as such, it is exceedingly well written ..."

I understand about reading classics and non-fiction. Brain candy is nice but you sometimes just need some more filling.