Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > What Do You Wish You Could Do Better?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 158 (158 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I wish I could draw/paint.

I wish I could fix something around the goddamn house. I suck at that kind of thing.

And...you?

message 2: by Donitello (new)

Donitello | 148 comments I wish I liked marketing. I hate marketing, but sometimes you (meaning I) have to do it. Poop pee-pee bum!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

This may be a new record - poop in the second message.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments I wish I could play piano. It's next on my list of things to learn.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I am going to learn to pencil sketch, and to make glass figurines.

By the way I am with you Doni on marketing, absolutely hate it, but it is at times a necessary evil.

message 6: by Donitello (new)

Donitello | 148 comments I've been doing portraiture for years, and pencil is my favorite medium. In my opinion, Betty Edwards' way of teaching drawing, outlined in her classic Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, is the best by far. There are classes you can take, too:

http://www.drawright.com/allworkshops...

P.S. Marketing = Hell

P.P.S. When does poop usually show up?

message 7: by Heidi (last edited Jul 27, 2009 07:27AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Honestly, I've always wanted to be able to sing, like BELT out a song or to be able to scat like Ella Fitzgerald... or really ANYTHING like Ella Fitzgerald. I do do this, it's just probably unpleasant on the ears. I suspect I'm tone-deaf.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Doni, I draw as well. Charcoal is my favorite medium, though pencil is a close second.

message 9: by Donitello (new)

Donitello | 148 comments I never handled charcoal well -- couldn't achieve much subtlety. Conte was fine, loved that.

I used to do portraits at fairs. Crowds would stand around watching -- the process really seems to fascinate people -- and invariably someone would say, "That must be so much fun." I used to demur ("Oh well, you know"), but one day I thought, come on, girl, admit it. After that I unabashedly said, "YEAH, it is HUGE fun!"

message 10: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I wish I could do photomanipulations better! Or maybe write. Or both.

RA -> When I read the title, I expected SOMEONE out there to shout out from the gutter ;)

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, s--t, Tanja, I didn't even think of that.

Of course, I'm perfectly advanced in all those potential areas.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Doni wrote: "I never handled charcoal well -- couldn't achieve much subtlety. Conte was fine, loved that.

I used to do portraits at fairs. Crowds would stand around watching -- the process really seems to fasc..."

It is huge fun, but it takes me longer than a few minutes or 30 minutes to sketch a person, unless I'm keeping the detail to a minimum. And I don't like for people to be around when I sketch, weird I know.

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori Heidi - that was the first thing I thought of, oh how I wish I could sing!

message 14: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments I wish I could sing. In harmony.

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'd love to be able to rap, too. Seriously. Natalie Portman impressed me with her SNL skit.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I wish I was better at calling people back. And I wish I had stronger lungs - I'd be a runner if I could.

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments OHHH!!! OH! I want to run, too! I've always wanted to run, but apparently I have exercise-induced asthma and I'm flat-footed. I only recently had the exercise-induced asthma confirmed for me. I've suspected for years. I ran for the first time without wheezing this past kickball season with the aid of an inhaler. IT WAS AWESOME! Now I just need to find good running shoes that work with my flat-footedness and then I'd be THAT much closer to fulfilling that wish. Sally, we could run together! I'd be a cheerleader, I would! :)

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't like distance running more often than not. This past week I ran a couple times because I was in a place away from hills (my house is in a city nicknamed "The City of Seven Hills") and that wasn't bad, but it's not...fun. I don't know why. I've tried. But I prefer the elliptical and running maybe three or four miles at a time, tops. It's not my lungs, etc...my shoulder hurts when I run...and later my knees a little. And I get bored.

message 19: by Heidi (last edited Jul 27, 2009 09:59AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments But that's just it... even when I was a kid, I couldn't do it, Anthony. I've NEVER been able to run without wheezing.

Even when I was in the best physical condition I've ever been in (when I was training in martial arts every day, several hours a day), I couldn't run. I was the ONLY instructor (of 11) who didn't run. Everything else could handle it - my muscles, my heart, everything... except my damn lungs.

I ran around the bases for the first time without wheezing just a few months ago and it was an incredible feeling.

message 20: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) No need for me to improve my singing. The shower and I have a contract which serves me well. I can sing like an idiot and no one else can hear. Same applies to babies. Lullabies are EASIER to pull off.

But if I must, when I was younger I /did/ want to be a better football (soccer) player.

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments I played soccer throughout high school. Practice began with a two mile run, then drills, then a 40 minute scrimmage. I feel I've paid my dues in the running department. And like RA, I get bored when I exercise.

message 22: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments Things I wish I were better at... this sounds like an old thread, like I've talked about this before at great length, but that's probably because I go over this list once a day.... Heh. :D;

The short list:

1. I wish I could do music better. Composition/piano/guitar/vocals. I was making some progress in a couple of them until all that came to a standstill for MCATS.

2. I wish I could write better.

3. I wish I could make money better so as to not feel like such a burden to my parents.

4. I wish I could study better. I find myself easily distracted these days.

5. I wish I could love better. You know, care more, and without false motives, selflessly and reliably.

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) The ever ambitious Nools. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I also wish I could sing better, with real depth and resonance.

I wish I could draw from memory, instead of having to have a model to look at.

I wish I was more athletic, and a natural runner, instead of feeling like a huge clod thudding along the trail in misery when I try. I feel much more graceful on a bicycle, or swimming. Or doing just about anything, really.

I wish I had better vision, and could be described as having "eagle eyes", instead of being "blind as a bat." But I guess that's not something you can practice to get better at, and does not fit this thread theme. Nevermind... ;)

message 25: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Yes, definitely languages for me too, specifically Latin, French, and Japanese (I already know enough German to get myself beaten up if I ever visit).

Same for me with writing, Angabel, I get caught up in trying to make everything sound good in the first draft and tend to get distracted and lose my flow.

If time were not an issue I have several others: become a better cook (Italian food specifically), learn a martial art (most likely Hapkido or Krav Maga), pick up the guitar again and/or learn to play piano, learn how to handle a sword and also how to care for bonsai trees.

Dancing is hopeless for me at this point. I'm way too caucasian and male...:)

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments With enough alcohol, Tad and I would get down on the dance floor.

message 27: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments That would be awesome, RA! Even after our wives fled the dance floor in shame and everyone was snickering about the two guys dancing without any women around...it would still be awesome.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Getting down and falling down are not the same thing.

message 29: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments You obviously haven't seen us dance, Larry...
(insert rimshot here)

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Obviously. I stand corrected (but maybe a little wobbly).

message 31: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You would have to drive us home, Larry. At some point or the other the bartender would say, "Who knows those goddamn assholes? Either get them out of here or I'm calling the cops." Our wives would most likely have left by then.

We're counting on you, Larry.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lean on me.

message 33: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Literally. One on each side.

message 34: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) tadpole, you remind me that I wish I could learn languages better. Often when I want a specific word, I can only remember it in ANOTHER language. D'oh!

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I greatly admire multi-lingual people. No, not literally people with more than one tongue.

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Randomanthony wrote: "Literally. One on each side."

Just remember, I may be wobbly, too.

message 37: by Heidi (last edited Jul 28, 2009 07:30AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I would like to be able to break dance. In fact, it'd be really, REALLY cool if I could dance like this guy.

message 38: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 28, 2009 07:30AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I would like to be able to watch Heidi try to break dance. Although I'd admire her bravery through my amusement.

Esp. if she wore a baseball hat crooked to the side.

message 39: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) A Brewers hat?

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hm. Not this week.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Break dance in a Brewers hat actually does seem appropriate right about now.

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Or the dizzy bat run.

message 43: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Randomanthony wrote: "I would like to be able to watch Heidi try to break dance. Although I'd admire her bravery through my amusement.

Esp. if she wore a baseball hat crooked to the side."

If you laughed at me, I would bite your nose.

message 44: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Kidding.

I've never bitten anyone's nose. It's all just smoke and mirrors.

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Human nose bites are extremely hazardous to one's health, by the way.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

C'mon Heidi! Give it your best shot!

*unfolds enormous Amazon cardboard box*

(Can you believe I have all this packaging for one small apple peeler?)

message 47: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments boogers

message 48: by Sally, la reina (new)

Don't flick boogers on your breakdancing surface!

message 49: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You bite smoke and mirrors?

message 50: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Heidi wrote: "It's all just smoke and mirrors."

This part makes me laugh for some reason...

« previous 1 3 4