Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

*SPOILER* Question for those who have finished it

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matthew Do not read this if you haven't finished the book.

How did Neville get Godric's sword? The last I remember seeing it, Griphook had it in Gringott's, and then suddenly Neville has it right at the end when he needs it. Did anyone understand how it made its way to Neville?

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah Nocom I don't remember how he actually got the sword. The only conclusion I can come up with is that the sword presents itself to any true Griffindor who requires it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Rowling just pulled that one out of her ... sorting hat. Yet another gaping plot hole.

message 4: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Julie He got it the same way that Harry got it in Chamber of Secrets. He was able to pull it out of the Sorting Hat because the sword comes to those who deserve it. He was a True Griffindor.

message 5: by Matthew (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matthew You mean ... the Sorting Hat is prejudiced against goblins?

Not fair.

message 6: by Ron (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - added it

Ron actually the gryffindor sword came out of the sorting hat at the time when Lord Voldemort presented the "dead" harry to hogwarts. Neville tried cursing Voldemort but he was overpowered by the death eaters.

When Voldy realized its Neville, he offered him a death seater membership but Neville refused thus he was punished by Voldy.

Voldy cast a spell creating a disfigured bird with the sorting hat in its beak. The hat was then thrust by Voldy into the head of neville and cast a spell.

The spell broke when chaos occurred as the centaurs finally decided to fight Voldy. They stormed Hogwarts and the Death Eaters caught by surprised were struck by arrows. Helping out was Grawp (Hargrid's brother and Buckbeak the hippogriff together with the thestrals.

At this pt. Neville was able to remove the sorting hat from his head and this was the time that the sword of Godric Gryffindor get into the picture. Like in book 2, the sword was magically produced by the sorting hat.

The appearance of the sword was carefully and magnificently orchestrated by JK Rowling into the plot not just in any other manner.

message 7: by Mary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary I wondered that, too. I think you can explain it, but we have to surmise. It wasn't explicitly stated in the book.

message 8: by Cody (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cody Moore Isn't it interesting that both times the sword appears, it is used to defeat a snake, the sign of Slytherin? I could be wrong, but wasn't the sorting hat Gryffindor's? I'm guessing that his former hat and sword work in tandem to oppose Salazar Slytherin's heir.

message 9: by Eli (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eli I think Rowling meant us to reject Griphook's claim completely. It's Gryffindor's sword, it's Gryffindor's hat, and they work together to give Neville the sword when he needs it. To me, it's all part of the tail-end theme about magic itself rejecting Voldemort - the Elder Wand won't work for him, his Horcruxes won't work for him, the sword won't work for him. He's against nature, and in the end, nature comes back to bite him. It reminds me a little of the Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe when Aslan is resurrected by magic deeper than anything the witch can comprehend. Similar allegory here.

message 10: by Random (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Random Person I agree with the other replies:
The sword is never literally stored inside the hat. It doesn't matter where the sword is physically stored -- be it Dumbledore's office, the bank or someone's broom closet -- it can be called for by a true Gryffindor at any time through the hat. It's like a built in "Accio sword" spell, except it comes through the hat instead of flying through the air (which is probably a dangerous thing to do with a sword...)

message 11: by Goldie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Goldie Marie I also must agree, it is quite an inspiration, NOT A GAPING PLOT HOLE!!! Neville was obviously considerd to be a true Grfindor because of his immense loyalty and pureness of heart.

message 12: by Katerina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:49AM) (new)

Katerina Capel AGREED!

message 13: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimberly I agree as well....In the first few books, I really was wondering whether the Sorting Hat had made a mistake, putting Neville in Gryffindor. But now, after he's killed Nagini, stood up to Draco Malfoy, tried to avenge his parents (even though Mrs. Weasley did it for him) and become a great wizard and professor at Hogwarts...

message 14: by Shahriar (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Shahriar regardin the sorting hat being Gryffindor's:
i dont think that is necessary. Each time someone pulled the sword out, they were a gryffindor.
Perhaps if it was a ravenclaw in need, or a slytherin in need, they would pull something else out.

message 15: by Jane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Someone mentioned that the full-body bind that Voldemort put on Neville when he was wearing the sorting hat was broken when "chaos occurred when the centaurs..." as if that was the reason, which is what I thought the first time I read the book - but now I realize that spell, and all Voldemort's spells break after a few moments from that point on. As Harry explains during his duel-to-the-death with Voldemort, he (Harry) has provided the same protection to his friends and allies that his mother provided to him - HE LOVES THEM and was willing to die so they could be saved, hence none of Voldemort's spells can work.

And I completely agree that Neville pulled the sword from the hat because he was a true Gryffindor and because, as Dumbledore said, "Help always comes to those who ask...at Hogwart's" (sorry, don't have the quote here).

message 16: by Tracey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tracey Jane said: "And I completely agree that Neville pulled the sword from the hat because he was a true Gryffindor and because, as Dumbledore said, "Help always comes to those who ask...at Hogwart's" (sorry, don't have the quote here)." no problem, Jane. the quote is pretty close to the mark. earlier in the series, Dumbledore made a few statements that fall in line with the sudden appearance of Gryffindor's sword:
"I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me..."
"Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."

remember that both Harry in COS and Neville in DH strongly declared their allegiance to Dumbledore shortly before Gryffindor's sword appeared out of the Sorting Hat...and only a true Gryffindor could retrieve the sword in time of need, no matter where it was (or where they were). so, the appearance of the sword at that time falls in with plot lines laid out several books ago. the sword didn't need to make an appearance in *every* book in order for it to be a legitimate part of the last one.

on the side, i thought it was GREAT that BOTH of the potential subjects of Sybill's prophecy -- that someone born "as the seventh month dies" -- played a role in Voldy's defeat...Harry & Neville were both born at the end of July.

Krauser108 PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE. NEVILLE GOT THE SWORD ONLY WHEN VOLDY SUMMONED NAGINI. WHICH CAME WITH THE FLYIN PHEONIX WHO HAD THE HAT WHICH CONTAINES THE SWORD. NEVILLE GOT HOLD OF THE HAT AND {SUPPRISINGLY} PULLED OUT THE SWORD. WHICH HE THEN HAD ENOUGH COURAGE TO SLICE OFF NAGINI'S HEAD.

Malia pardon me if i'm wrong but isn't neville a hufflepuff?

Tonja Neville is in Gryffindor he was suite mates with Harry and Ron. I agree with Sarah I think that it is as she said along with everyonelse a gryffindor pure at heart can command the sword of
Godric Grffyindor

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Vidmar before when you guys were talking about goblins.. I think they are just greedy little gits. The book says that they think whatever they make still belongs to them. But remember, when they were talking about aunt muriels tiara, griphook is all mad because it's goblin made, bill says, "it's paid for by wizards." So i think that even though harry 'gave' griphook back the gryffindor sword, it still belongs to the school, because it was the possesion of godric gryffindor when the school was started. so hah!

and I agree that neville got the sword for the same reason that harry did in the chamber, because he was a true gryffindor.

Steve "It's Gryffindor's sword, it's Gryffindor's hat, and they work together to give Neville the sword when he needs it." Eli's interpertation works for me. The sword you will remember also came for Harry's use to defeat the basilisk in Book 2.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't pay enough attention to notice that Neville had the sword. Oh well. Now I know.

message 23: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Helgeson Gryffindor's sword presents itself to any worthy Gryffindor by coming out of the hat...no matter where it was prior to that.

That's how Harry got it in Chamber of Secrets. That's how Neville got it at the end.

The hat is not prejudiced against goblins. Goblins are simply not Gryffindors. And I know someone will argue that they are the "true owners" of the sword, but I suspect that the sword's ability to find worthy Gryffindors was placed upon it by Gryffindor himself...he would have felt that he was the true owner.

Lama.a. I think it appeared to Neville because he showed true courage and bravery the same way that it appeared to Harry in CoS. It doesn't matter where the sword is, it will appear to you.

I agree with Montambo and Goldie =)

Karina I'm pretty sure that it appeared out of the sorting hat, becuase it appers to a true gryffindor when they need it. i guess we can conclude that it's spelled to appear whenever a gryffindor needs it.

Sarah:) I love how in the end neville really saved everything. NEVILLE ROCKS

message 27: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Neville cut off the head of Voldemort's pet snake RIGHT IN FRONT OF VOLDEMORT. Can you imagine how brave he must be?! He had to figure he only had a few seconds to live at that point. And he was willing to do that because Harry asked him to, and told him it was important. He trusted Harry that much, that he was willing to die right there.

Neville is a true Gryffindor.

Kay Marie I love Neville. :)

Ciara Griphook had the sword, and he was killed, so maybe Voldemort took it. But he's not a Gryffindor, so it's very possible the sword could come out of the Sorting Hat for Neville in his time of need.

Stephanie Eli wrote: "I think Rowling meant us to reject Griphook's claim completely. It's Gryffindor's sword, it's Gryffindor's hat, and they work together to give Neville the sword when he needs it. To me, it's all pa..."

You put that wonderfully!

Jordan The sword presents itself to those who needs it.

message 32: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah The hat, right?

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

At the time Neville turned down the DE membership, he knew what Ol' Voldy would do to him. He still turned him don, representing the Gryffindor side of him that had come out during his seventh year at Hogwarts. It could be said that Neville could also be said as the one of the prophecy, as he killed the final Horcrux. Also, since Voldy is the Heir of Slytherin, well, the hat was Gryffindor. In the GoF, the Hat sings that '[Gryffindor] whipped me off his head/and put some brains in me," or something along those lines.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Tracey wrote: "Jane said: "And I completely agree that Neville pulled the sword from the hat because he was a true Gryffindor and because, as Dumbledore said, "Help always comes to those who ask...at Hogwart's" (..."

Right! Harry defended Ol' Dumbles' legacy in the Chamber, and Neville declared his alleigance to Dumbledore's Army.

Malia wrote: "pardon me if i'm wrong but isn't neville a hufflepuff?"

Neville was almost a Hatstall (someone who's Sorting takes longer than 7 mins because the Hat is pulled between two houses. Hermione was almost one between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw.) between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. The Hat wanted to put him in Gryffindor, but Neville, thinking he wasn't brave enough for Gryffindor (as he has said several times throught the series), wanted to get put in Hufflepuff. The Hat won eventually.

Laura Voldemort killed all the Goblins for letting Harry, Ron and Hermione escape with one of his horcruxes so when Griphook was dead, the sword went back to where it came from: the Sorting Hat. Then Neville had the hat and it appeared to him, showing he is a true Gryffindor!

Laura Malia wrote: "pardon me if i'm wrong but isn't neville a hufflepuff?"

No

Farheen The sword comes out of the hat and presents itself to those who are in real need and to that who is a true Gryffindor ...as Dumbledore said....as Neville really wanted the sword and was a true Gryffindor(though he didn't agree with it)therefore,the sword presented itself to Neville out of the hat....

Eliana Neville Longbottom is not a Hufflepuff. He was placed in Gryffindor in his first year at Hogwarts.

Jasmine J Matthew wrote: "You mean ... the Sorting Hat is prejudiced against goblins?

Not fair."

lol you should make a goblin club with hermione :)

message 40: by B (last edited Mar 05, 2014 07:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

B i didn't know the hat was gryffindor's... where does it say that?

message 41: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu He got it out of the Hogwarts sorting hat

message 42: by B (new) - rated it 5 stars

B yeah but the HAT is Gryffindor's?

Julia The sword can present itself to any "worthy Gryffindor" (according to Scrimgeor after he read Dumbledore's will).

Determining who is a "worthy Gryffindor" is also part of the Sorting Hat's magic. The hat was also once Gryffindor's hat. So the two objects clearly have some magical link.

I don't think the sword belongs in or with the hat like some people seem to be saying. I think the hat is merely a passage that the sword can use. It can make it to Gryffindors in other ways too (like when Harry found it under the ice). But since the hat was also Gryffindor's and knows what house every Hogwarts student past and present belongs in, it can create a passage for the hat to travel through to reach the Gryffindor's when they are showing bravery and in need of help.

When Neville stood up to Voldemort, resulting in a burning Sorting Hat his head, he proved himself as a worthy Gryffindor. The sword presented itself to him the same way it presented itself to Harry in Chamber of Secrets. We don't know what Neville was thinking while he was wearing the hat. But since it was on fire, we can reasonably assume that he was thinking similar thoughts to what Harry was thinking when he put the hat on in Chamber of Secrets. That was, I believe, "Help!".

It took a moment for the sword to appear inside the hat when Harry wore it. It probably took a moment to appear in the hat while Neville was wearing it too.

Remember, Neville was also petrified from Voldemort's spell. When that spell broke, he was able to reach into the hat and retrieve the sword that probably landed on his head shortly after the hat started burning.

Julia B wrote: "yeah but the HAT is Gryffindor's?"

Yes, the hat said so in one of it's start of year songs.
"Gryffindor pulled me off his head..." or something like that.

Somebody above said it happened in Goblet of Fire.