Play Book Tag discussion

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8)
This topic is about Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
August, 2016: Entertainment > Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited Aug 02, 2016 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

annapi | 5129 comments It started out as little more than an extension of the corny epilogue from the original series's book 7, but progressed quite nicely into a solid story, especially in book 2.

Harry Potter is now 40 years old, and this opens with his younger son Albus's first trip to Hogwarts. On the train he makes friends with Draco Malfoy's son Scorpius, and this is the story of their adventures.

It turned out to be much longer than I expected, and I surprised myself by actually staying up till 2:30 pm to finish it. Being in play format made it a faster read. As an added bonus, it fit one of the Shelfagories categories (a play) that I didn't think I would be able to fill!

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I just cannot decide if I want to read this one or not. I love Harry Potter so much and I know this will not be anywhere close to the same level, nor was it written to be similar.

I am partially swayed by the fact that it will fulfill a Shelfagories category, but I am already planning to read The Tempest....hmmm...

Decisions, decisions.

message 3: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3831 comments @Nicole: Consider this as an extension of the movies, not the books. This will adjust the level of expectation, and I thought it was extremely enjoyable despite it really not being like the books at all.

Glad you liked it Annapi! You are the first review I've read for this! I'm excited to see what everyone here thinks of it.

Booknblues | 6649 comments I'm reading this now.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I'm the same as you Nicole. I'm scared!

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I also stayed up past my bedtime to finish this last night. My thoughts are much the same as yours, particularly that it is more an extension of the films than the novels. My review will be up tonight or tomorrow.

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I JUST DON'T KNOW! THERE IS SO MUCH PRESSURE!

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments It's like Go Set a Watchman all over again! ;-)

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Susie wrote: "It's like Go Set a Watchman all over again! ;-)"

Susie that is funny. This book was not on my radar but my sister was a huge Harry Potter fan and her birthday is coming up so might be a new gift. Look forward to seeing the play someday.

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen | 1545 comments Susie wrote: "It's like Go Set a Watchman all over again! ;-)"

ha ha! that made me laugh.

LibraryCin | 8906 comments I'm impressed you read it so quickly! I see someone else has already posted a review, as well... Will check that one out in a minute.

LibraryCin | 8906 comments annapi wrote: "As an added bonus, it fit one of the Shelfagories categories (a play) that I didn't think I would be able to fill! ..."

I suspect I'll have trouble with this one, as well. It's too bad I'm not willing to pay the crazy amounts of money they are charging for this! :-) I suppose I could put my name on a hold list at the library, but who knows how long that will take - and I know I'll want to buy it, eventually (likely from a used bookstore).