Contemporary YA discussion

Indignation
This topic is about Indignation
Challenges > Indignation

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod

Against the backdrop of the Korean War, a young man faces life’s unimagined chances and terrifying consequences.

It is 1951 in America, the second year of the Korean War. A studious, law-abiding, intense youngster from Newark, New Jersey, Marcus Messner, is beginning his sophomore year on the pastoral, conservative campus of Ohio’s Winesburg College. And why is he there and not at the local college in Newark where he originally enrolled? Because his father, the sturdy, hard-working neighborhood butcher, seems to have gone mad -- mad with fear and apprehension of the dangers of adult life, the dangers of the world, the dangers he sees in every corner for his beloved boy.

As the long-suffering, desperately harassed mother tells her son, the father’s fear arises from love and pride. Perhaps, but it produces too much anger in Marcus for him to endure living with his parents any longer. He leaves them and, far from Newark, in the midwestern college, has to find his way amid the customs and constrictions of another American world.

Indignation, Philip Roth’s twenty-ninth book, is a story of inexperience, foolishness, intellectual resistance, sexual discovery, courage, and error. It is a story told with all the inventive energy and wit Roth has at his command, at once a startling departure from the haunted narratives of old age and experience in his recent books and a powerful addition to his investigations of the impact of American history on the life of the vulnerable individual.

1. Which was better book or movie?
2. What are the differences?
3. Would you recommend them both or just one of them?
4. Did any characters stand out to you?
5. Were there any lessons learned?

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (KarenLovesYA) | 36 comments This is the kind of movie that wins an Academy Award. I don't think this one will win. It's just they type of movie. It's a coming of age story about a Jewish college student attending an uptight school. It was good, but slow and boring at times. It sometimes felt like a play. I would give 2.5 stars out of 5.

I haven't read the book.

Kyle Hi, I'm totally new to goodreads groups so this ("Contemporary YA") is my first group. I'm curious why "Indignation" is being discussed as contemporary young adult?

1-2. I haven't seen the film yet but I'm eager to, I found the book to be especially thought-provoking and I'm curious to see how the subtleties and idiosyncratic events play out on screen. Had I not heard good reviews of the film I would expect it to be a trainwreck.
3. I definitely recommend the book.
4. Marcus, Olivia, Bertrum Flusser, and Marcus's mother were particularly interesting to me. Is Marcus misogynistic and/or homophobic?
5. The biggest question I've stewed over since reading the book is Philip Roth's stance on the value of indignation as an emotion. Is it valuable or only self-destructive? Also, is Marcus supposed to be vindicated by the historical note at the end of the book?

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod
Kyle wrote: "Hi, I'm totally new to goodreads groups so this ("Contemporary YA") is my first group. I'm curious why "Indignation" is being discussed as contemporary young adult?

1-2. I haven't seen the film ye..."

Welcome to the group Kyle! We conduct two group reads each month. One is for Contemporary YA. We nominate books then vote. The two books with the most votes become our group read. This month we are reading Burn for Burn and just by coincidence a book that has also been adapted to film The Perks of Being a Wallflower. They are featured on our home page.

Our second group read is Books Into Movies. Each month we read any movie that was based on a book. I'm adding two more for this month tomorrow.

Books we will be reading, which are primarily movies, are located in our "to read" bookshelf. Just click "Bookshelf" in the upper right corner then click "to read" or "read."

I also keep track of books currently being made into TV shows both YA and non YA.

If you have any questions feel free to post them or send me a PM.

Love your thoughtful comments on Indignation. I haven't read the book nor I have watched the movie, but I hope to eventually. Your answer to question 5 has really peaked my interest. It's a great question. I may try to get to the book sooner than I thought.

Philip Roth has an amazing mind and his book adaptations are in demand this year. He has another movie adaptation later this year, he had one earlier this year and he also has Amazon Prime's "The Man in the High Tower." I would love to know what he thinks about all of his adaptations.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read the book, but I loved the movie! It's emotional and somewhat dark. I was a little tense or stressed at times and even a little confused, but I loved it.

I agree with Karen it is the type of movie that wins awards. It's a class act.