Goodreads Developers discussion

questions > Ways of searching language of edition for a book?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (last edited Aug 01, 2016 11:59PM) (new)

Alice (jumpluff) | 1 comments Is this feasible in some roundabout way?

As far as I know, you can't really search for books by more general parameters, like language of edition. Yet that information is important for what I'm working with.

At the moment all I have is to handle defining a search for books with editions in the languages I want separately (e.g. by ISBN or authors) before submitting it to the API parameters, and then pulling that stuff from the results.

But it would be really handy if I could look more generally for books written in a given language

I don't know if anyone has any suggestions for how I could do this on my end if it's not possible in the Goodreads API at present? Would prefer not to be working with prebuilt list of e.g. Japanese authors and rather use Goodreads' own edition information

Thank you!

Update: Searching by existing shelf data would be valuable for this. For example, it is likely that books shelved as 'japanese-fiction' by many users have editions in Japanese on Goodreads. Is there a way to find this data through the API instead of just the search? (In such case I would want results from the page https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...)

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Samorini (andreasamorini) hi,
I’ve implemented this utility, you can try to see if it meets your needs