Write Your Heart Out discussion

21 views
Tips for Getting Your Book Published

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (last edited Aug 01, 2016 09:03PM) (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
This thread is for anyone who has any advice or needs advice on how to get a book published. With me being a little seasoned in the publications field, I'm going to be sharing a lot of tips and resources with you guys. Feel free to comment questions and suggestions on this thread.


message 2: by Laporsha (new)

Laporsha Holt | 8 comments how did you first begin to write your books like did you just writing quotes or ideas in a note pad and you put those things together to create a story or did you just write a whole story all at once because i started to write different thoughts down or feelings i wanna create my life story out of i hope i made sense lol


message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Laporsha wrote: "how did you first begin to write your books like did you just writing quotes or ideas in a note pad and you put those things together to create a story or did you just write a whole story all at on..."

So the first thing I did was lots of RESEARCH. You have to find your market and see what they are interested in. I started with quotes and brainstorming notes but not everyone begins that way. We all have out own creative process so you have to find what works best for you.

After you've researched and found your MARKET. Then you want to start writing a little each day. That's going to be the challenge is getting your thoughts onto paper and at first it may seem hard but I PROMISE you that if you stick with it you can do it.

I don't want to give you the next steps until you completed these because they are the foundation to creating a book and getting it published. Create an idea or story of how you envision your book to flow.


message 4: by Laporsha (new)

Laporsha Holt | 8 comments when you say find a market and see what they are interested in what do you mean elabotate on that for me i think i have an idea of what you mean like figure out what will keep the people intrigued and amticipating the story idk if im correct lol however thanks for the feedback i appreciate it!


message 5: by Laporsha (new)

Laporsha Holt | 8 comments Anticipating


message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Laporsha wrote: "when you say find a market and see what they are interested in what do you mean elabotate on that for me i think i have an idea of what you mean like figure out what will keep the people intrigued ..."

Sorry I'm so late on the response. When I say choose a market is basically saying who type of people do want to buy your books. Who are you trying to reach? If you need help I can help you break it down and focus in on a specific target.

PS: Have you begin writing the project yet? Any ideas or notes or thoughts you put to paper?


message 7: by Laporsha (new)

Laporsha Holt | 8 comments i actually put some thoughts in my memo in my phone haven't been back to it but i am getting bck too it the type of people i wanna reach are the people that may have hidden brokenness are come from a place of pain that they turned into power i just wanna put my heart into words in hopefully help someone overcome are be comfortable enough to speak their truths . jst as i speak mine


message 8: by Laporsha (new)

Laporsha Holt | 8 comments and yes i would love help on that.


message 9: by Esther (new)

Esther Tubbs | 10 comments Joseph wrote: "Laporsha wrote: "when you say find a market and see what they are interested in what do you mean elabotate on that for me i think i have an idea of what you mean like figure out what will keep the ..."

I don't think I ever really thought about a specific group of people that I wanted to focus on writing for. That's an interesting and important thing to consider. Thanks Joseph.


message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Has anyone been writing any new books? What genres have you guys been working on?


message 11: by Esther (new)

Esther Tubbs | 10 comments I've been working on a dystopian book that will hopefully turn out the way I want it to... This is my first time writing dystopian, so it has taken me a bit of research and time to get things started. I'm on the 5th chapter and so far things are going well. 😁


message 12: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Esther wrote: "I've been working on a book that will hopefully turn out the way I want it to... This is my first time writing dystopian, so it has taken me a bit of research and time to get things start..."

That’s absolutley amazing!! That genre is a very good one. I can’t wait until your book is finished. I’m definitely going to read it. Please let me know if their is anything we can do as a writing community to help you out if you get stuck, need feedback, or just have writers block.


message 13: by Esther (new)

Esther Tubbs | 10 comments I will. Thanks! Encouragement is always great!!


message 14: by Jude (new)

Jude Santos | 11 comments So I know market in terms of the Poetry I write. It's actually two markets. The First Market are specifically Christians and II Market are people who enjoy spoken word poetry. I have a flow for a book (or set of books) that I want to compile of my Christian poems. So what's the next step after this?


message 15: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Jude wrote: "So I know market in terms of the Poetry I write. It's actually two markets. The First Market are specifically Christians and II Market are people who enjoy spoken word poetry. I have a flow for a b..."

Hey Jude, since you already know the your target audience that's a great thing. That typically takes writers a while to discover. I would definitely start take all the poetry and begin compiling it in the order you want it arranged in the book. In addition, this is the time where you should be writing any new poems as well. Believe it or not, most people get stuck on actually writing the book. You have a head start because you have the poetry already written.

Your main focus should be on anything at the moment but completing the writing part of the process and get the book. I wouldn't even focus on editing at the moment either.


message 16: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Does anyone have any questions they would like to ask about getting your book published? This is the perfect place. I'm willing to share resources and knowledge I have.


message 17: by Asie (new)

Asie Belle | 4 comments I self-published a poetry book on Amazon last June. It felt amazing, but I still feel like I could’ve done more in regards to marketing and gaining more readers. What publishing tips do you have in regards to succeeding as an author?


message 18: by Joseph (last edited May 22, 2018 08:53AM) (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Asie wrote: "I self-published a poetry book on Amazon last June. It felt amazing, but I still feel like I could’ve done more in regards to marketing and gaining more readers. What publishing tips do you have in..."

Good question! Typically writing and publishing the book is just the beginning. We live in the world where everything is mainly digital. When it's time to market, I tackle social media first. You can take $10 run an ad on Facebook and Instagram for seven days and put your book in 10,000 peoples face. Not saying that everyone will purchase a copy but your chances just sky-rocketed. Also, the most useful marketing tool I use is BOOK GIVEAWAYS. Every writer should give a few copies away. Nothing sells like word of mouth. Have a contest and get people involved in the possibility of winning a book. Goodreads also has a useful marketing ad program. I've been testing it, and it's good. $10 will get you a lot of views on the Goodreads Ad. Hope some of this information helps you. If I think of more useful marketing tools, I'll be sure to write them here. Lastly, there's no one size fits all formula for book marketing. Be creative and be social, and in time you will see results.


message 19: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Anyone need help with putting your book in the proper format I may have some tools for you. Also, for anyone who wants to take on the creative challenge of designing your cover and don't know where to start I may have some tools for you.


message 20: by Asie (new)

Asie Belle | 4 comments Hello. I was recently offered a contribution based contract. I’m hesitant to sign because after reading about the definition behind it, I’m basically paying someone to own my work. Should I consider it or should I look for another publishing company or just self-publish? Thanks for your advice.


message 21: by Joseph (last edited May 22, 2018 08:54AM) (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Asie wrote: "Hello. I was recently offered a contribution based contract. I’m hesitant to sign because after reading about the definition behind it, I’m basically paying someone to own my work. Should I conside..."

Hi Asie,

So happy to have you apart of the group by the way. That's such a great question! I can tell you've done some research as well because contribution based contracts are exactly what you stated. It means you will be given a percentage for your own work in exchange for publication, distribution, and a name in the industry. I highly suggest you ask yourself what's your goal for your project. Do you want to make money? Are you trying to inspire people? Do you want to both? Are you trying to help or inform your audience? By asking yourself this question, it will help align your path.

I'm a self-publishing advocate, and I'm saying this after having been on both sides of the spectrum. I like the freedom to create as I please while not having to worry about the business aspect as much.

I highly recommend exploring the possibility of both because what works for one writer doesn't always work for the next.

However, I'm team Self-Publishing all the way! :)


message 22: by Jude (new)

Jude Santos | 11 comments So I think Im pretty much done with my book. Dunno if its in the proper format though. Where do I go to see if it's correct?

Also about designing covers, where can I go for that stuff? I was thinking fiverr.com...


message 23: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Jude wrote: "So I think Im pretty much done with my book. Dunno if its in the proper format though. Where do I go to see if it's correct?

Also about designing covers, where can I go for that stuff? I was think..."


Hey Jude,

Are you referring to book format meaning margins and spacing or poetry etiquette?

There are so many book-editing apps and generators online that it should be too hard to find. A few of my favorites are the app Canva; there's GIMP and Adobe Spark. However, there are some online that you can google that will do most of the work for you instead of these I have sent you are covers made from scratch which might require a little graphics knowledge.

Also, I've never heard of https://www.fiverr.com/, but it seems you want a third party to make your cover which isn't a bad idea. I just visited the site, and it looks really cool.


message 24: by Jude (new)

Jude Santos | 11 comments So quick question... is it a good idea to buy an ISBN number for a book? If a publish through Smashwords, will they provide me with that?


message 25: by Joseph (last edited Jun 28, 2018 04:48PM) (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Jude wrote: "So quick question... is it a good idea to buy an ISBN number for a book? If a publish through Smashwords, will they provide me with that?"

Great question Jude! I wouldn't suggest you purchase your own ISBN through Smashwords if you're just starting. Their ISBN should suffice. You still own all the rights; the only specification is you have to credit them in the Publication page of your book as the Publisher which is a great thing. It showcases that you had a Publisher behind you whether it's Smashwords or not. Great work on the progress you're making by the way!


message 26: by Jude (new)

Jude Santos | 11 comments Wait, you said I shouldn't? Also would you happen to know how much it is to publish?


message 27: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Hey Jude,

The price to publish can vary. It depends on the company, what all you need to be done as far as (editing, cover art, graphics, editor for the format, etc.). Do you have any companies in mind that you are considering going with?

Also, I suggested that having your own ISBN isn't a necessity for when you are just getting started with publishing through Smashwords. When I first started, I used their ISBN. It's definitely a matter of preference. However, remember that if you do choose to use your own you're going to pay to use that ISBN on each marketplace, you plan to sell on because it's a unique ISBN.

Hope these suggestions help.


message 28: by Jude (new)

Jude Santos | 11 comments So it's been a long while since I posted here. Long story short I STILL haven't published my ebook. The smashwords style really confuses me. I mean I have my manuscript and all. Is it just as easy as uploading it to their "meatgrinder" and waiting for them to okay it? I do plan to use their isbn since it's easy. I was hoping for a October release. I think it can still happen. Joseph, would it be possible to send you my manuscript to see if I'm missing anything?


message 29: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Rivers (joe_rivers) | 62 comments Mod
Jude wrote: "So it's been a long while since I posted here. Long story short I STILL haven't published my ebook. The smashwords style really confuses me. I mean I have my manuscript and all. Is it just as easy ..."

Hey Jude,

Trust me, I've dealt with the Smashwords process many times, and it can get really confusing. There requirements and specifications are overly detailed. Typically, it all comes down to format.

To answer your question, sure I can take a look at it for you. I'll send you my email to your message inbox, and we can connect from there.

Very proud of you for completing your manuscript! The hardest part is writing it. You're over halfway there.


back to top