Authors & Reviewers discussion

Erotica > Need reviews for my Erotic Sci-Fi book

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarotica (new)

Sarotica | 10 comments Hello,
I'm looking for people to review my sci-fi erotic story "Boobarella and the Space Penises. It's a fun and campy parody with some great scenes. It's only 4,000 words. Will send a free copy if you provide your email address. Summary and link is below.

Sarotica

Join Boobarella as she screws her way across the universe to rescue all of womankind!

In this first volume, Captain Boobarella has been called in for duty to complete a dangerous mission. The Space Penises have captured a piece of intelligence that could destroy the beautiful all-female city of Orgonia and the planet as a whole. As Boobarella readies for the mission, strange things seem to be afoot in the city and with its Prime Minister, making Boobarella question the nature of her role and the future of the planet.

https://www.amazon.com/Boobarella-Spa...

message 2: by Sarotica (new)

Sarotica | 10 comments Sure! You can send it to sarotica69@yahoo.com. Give me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Sara

message 3: by Nikky (new)

Nikky Kaye (goodreadscomnikkykaye) | 6 comments Both books look really interesting, ladies!

Just keep in mind that "swapping" reviews is against Amazon's TOS. Best case scenario they yank the reviews; worst case scenario they yank your accounts.

message 4: by Nikky (new)

Nikky Kaye (goodreadscomnikkykaye) | 6 comments I'm not sure what all the other groups do. I know that when I offer an ARC for Read & Review, it is with the understanding that whatever reader demonstrates an interest in it will receive a copy in exchange for an honest review. Maybe that review is two stars--I have no control over that.

But two authors promising each other reviews is a murky area for Amazon, because the assumption is that there is little chance for the reviews to be completely honest. If you left me a 5* review but I think your book is crap, am I really going to feel like I can say that? There is presumed influence in the process.

I've been learning about all this stuff too. With my first book I didn't know I couldn't send free review copies after the book had been published. I didn't know friends and family are discouraged from reviewing. I didn't know the difference between a reader review and an editorial review. It's all a steep learning curve, for sure!

This is a good article on it: http://www.selfpublishingreview.com/2...

message 5: by Nikky (last edited Sep 19, 2016 02:46PM) (new)

Nikky Kaye (goodreadscomnikkykaye) | 6 comments Oh, just to add. I do review books by other authors, as any reader does. But I receive the ARC and post a review under my real name and personal email, not as a fellow author.

And I would never in a million years suggest that the other author review me in return. I hope that makes sense.

message 6: by Tassa (new)

Tassa DeSalada | 7 comments Nikky, thanks soooo much for the explanation. You're right. It's a really steep learning curve, and I hope to master it soon. Thanks also for the link. I'm looking forward to sorting thru it. That's where I'll be for the next day or so.

Thanks again for everything!! I really appreciate it.

Tassa

message 7: by Sarotica (new)

Sarotica | 10 comments That is how I've gotten most of my reviews and what most of the groups like this one are about. Connecting authors and reviewers (most of which are authors). Most reviewers post "I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review" on the review on Amazon. This is well within limits of Amazon's TOS. Tassa, please feel to send your book along and if you would like to read mine, send me your email address.

message 8: by Tassa (new)

Tassa DeSalada | 7 comments Thanks Sarotica. Nikky, I'm not sure if you realize this, but that article is written by a representative trying to sell reviews. For a fee, the writer's company will find reviewers for a payer's book. The article is biased towards an author buying their services. Although the article provided some good points, it seems that other points may have been carefully chosen to help fulfill the seller's biased point of view. But, I guess everything that's ever been written has a degree of bias to it.

message 9: by Tassa (new)

Tassa DeSalada | 7 comments Sarotica, I emailed you. Please email me your book in a pdf format. I'm looking forward to reading it. It's a really cool topic. I'll do an honest review and will post it as a positive or negative one as I see fit.

message 10: by C.B. (new)

C.B. Archer | 1 comments I know that you cannot copyright names, but Booberella is the name of a character on the Simpsons. :)

message 11: by Nikky (new)

Nikky Kaye (goodreadscomnikkykaye) | 6 comments I appreciate the bias of the source, Tassa.

But the fact remains that Amazon bans review "exchanges" and will remove such reviews. You can absolutely review another author's book (unless, of course, you have any part in its writing or production), but you may not ask for a review of yours in return.

Amazon has become much more draconian in the last year regarding reviews. They will (without warning) remove reviews that come from sources such as:
1. A paid blog tour (despite the fact that only the tour coordinator is getting paid)
2. A review written in exchange for another review
3. A review written in exchange for a gift card (even if only for the price of the book)
4. A review written in expectation of a free book (the reviewer must receive any free book first).
5. A review written by anyone you "know" online, such as FB, Twitter, etc.

It's been recently been discussed that Amazon is changing its algorithms to crack down on "incentivized reviews," which in theory could even prohibit ARC readers. It's a very sticky situation. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdLI6...

message 12: by Sarotica (new)

Sarotica | 10 comments But how would they know if we "exchanged" reviews? She sent me a pdf.

message 13: by Tassa (last edited Sep 21, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Tassa DeSalada | 7 comments Nikky,

How do you go about getting reviews for your books?

message 14: by Nikky (new)

Nikky Kaye (goodreadscomnikkykaye) | 6 comments Amazon apparently has little spider bots that search for links of names with dates that are close together, that kind of thing. They have a bunch of paranoid technology that wastes an inordinate amount of time on this stuff, I gather.

It's a bit frustrating, because Big Five publishers use ARCs all the time, and the reality is that readers often rely on reviews to help in their purchase decisions. I know I do.

As to your question about getting reviews, Tassa... I apologize in advance for a long response!

What I have done (and I'm very new at this too, so still learning!) is gotten some ARC readers through a Goodreads group that regularly lists and offers ARCs to interested readers. To them I give a book-specific Bookfunnel URL where they can download the book, and that link self-destructs on the publication date. That group is moderated and readers are expected to provide an honest review within a certain time period if they're interested in the ARC.

There are other places on GR where you can offer ARCs to interested readers/reviewers, as well (such as here).

I also work with a service called Exclusive ARC (as both a reviewer and author). They send out newsletters to their subscribers with upcoming titles that are available to read/review. I am also a subscriber and choose the occasional book to review. They coordinate the requests and send out the book to interested subscribers, but again the opportunity closes once the book is published. Apparently the novella I have coming out this weekend set a record for requests for them, at 173! (no accounting for taste, I guess! LOL!)

While it is not against KDP Select/KU rules to send review copies after a book has been published, I prefer to only offer post-release review copies to specific bloggers or review sites, through private email.

The only incentive to either of these "sources" of reviewers is simply the ARC itself. Several of the readers who have reviewed my stuff have subsequently joined my mailing list, or asked privately if they can be part of my ARC list or street team.

Getting feedback (not just reviews) is so important, so I really value every opportunity to get honest opinions from readers, good or bad.

But when I leave reviews, either on Amazon or GR, I do it under my personal name and account, not my pen name. And I also do my best to not review books by people I know personally. I've done it once or twice, but I purchased their books and, AFAIK, they haven't reviewed mine (don't know, don't care).

Does that all make sense? Like I said, I'm still new at this too. But because I write erotica and romance, I've already butted heads with Amazon with regards to covers, titles, blurbs, being dungeoned, etc. So I'm trying my best to avoid any additional reasons for scrutiny. :)