DayDreamingofQuirkyB00ks discussion

2016 > July BOTM

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace (gracethomsen) | 34 comments Mod
Discussion for The Winner's Curse is now open!

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Daydreamingofbookdragons) (daydreamingofbookdragons) | 58 comments Mod
I'll start off: what was everyone's favourite thing about this book and what did they like the least?

message 3: by Grace (new)

Darcy wrote: "I'll start off: what was everyone's favourite thing about this book and what did they like the least?"

My favorite was probably the Herrani rebellion. And least favorite was the pacing. What about you?

message 4: by Darcy (new)

For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first book in a little while to hook its claws in me so firmly. I loved that when I wasn't reading it, I was still constantly thinking about it. I didn't actually notice this, but once it was pointed out to me, I noticed that the world-building could have been better, so that's my least favourite thing about book 1.

message 5: by Grace (new)

Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first book in a little while to hook its claws in me so firmly. I loved that when I wasn't reading it, I was still constantly thinking about it. I d..."

Yeah I agree. I kept thinking about the book even after I finished it, which was what really pushed to me to read the next one. The world was pretty interesting but also felt kind of generic because of how the world-building was handled.

message 6: by Darcy (new)

Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first book in a little while to hook its claws in me so firmly. I loved that when I wasn't reading it, I was still constantly thinking..."

Again, I had to have it pointed out to me but I agree, the world did seem pretty generic. I was wondering if it was because she hasn't written much fantasy but apparently she has.

message 7: by Grace (new)

Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first book in a little while to hook its claws in me so firmly. I loved that when I wasn't reading it, I was still const..."

I didn't know that she had written other fantasy so that surprises me. I have noticed that it seemed to get better with the second book though. I have yet to read the third but I assume that the world-building has gotten better.

message 8: by Grace (boookswithgrace) (last edited Aug 01, 2016 05:20PM) (new)

Grace (boookswithgrace) (boookswithgrace) | 39 comments Mod
Darcy wrote: "I'll start off: what was everyone's favourite thing about this book and what did they like the least?"
My favorite part was whenever music was being played, whether it was when Kestrel was playing music or Arin was singing. I just loved how they could just get lost in the music when everything was bad around them. My least favorite part was the scene when Cheat broke into Kestrel's room (I don't think there is any need to explain that).

message 9: by Grace (new)

Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "My favorite part was whenever music was being played, whether it was when Kestrel was playing music or Arin was singing. I just loved how they could just get lost in the music when everything was b..."

Cheat was such an interesting villain because we still had Arin kind of idolizing him while also realizing everything which I loved because of the conflict and tension it created.

Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first book in a little while to hook its claws in me so firmly. I loved that when I wasn't reading it, I w..."
I haven't continued on with the series yet, but I more than likely will once I finish the Cursed Child. I really wish I owned the books because I've been on a "read from my TBR shelf" kick, but I'm pretty sure I'll continue.

message 11: by Darcy (new)

Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Darcy wrote: "I'll start off: what was everyone's favourite thing about this book and what did they like the least?"
My favorite part was whenever music was being played, whether it was when Kestre..."

No, no need to explain at all. I did like how it wasn't brushed over and brought up again a few times in Kestrel's head. I don't think that that experience is something you could forget easily, and wouldn't have some affect on you, like it doesn't seem to on other characters from other books. They were attacked, they got away, they were momentarily freaked out and then hardly ever think of it again, and definitely not with a lingering fear.

message 12: by Darcy (new)

Grace wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "My favorite part was whenever music was being played, whether it was when Kestrel was playing music or Arin was singing. I just loved how they could just get lost in the..."

Yeah! Although maybe we could have had a little more from Arin when he realised that his hero, this guy that he loves, is seriously messed up.

message 13: by Grace (new)

Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Darcy wrote: "I'll start off: what was everyone's favourite thing about this book and what did they like the least?"
My favorite part was whenever music was being played..."

Exactly. I really liked how they dealt with that in a real way. With other books it always feel like they wanted that fear and tension for the readers but then want it to be quickly forgotten so they can move on to another moment in the plot.

message 14: by Darcy (new)

Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first book in a little while to hook its claws in me so firmly. I loved that when I wasn't r..."

Yeah, I kinda wish that I had bought all the books rather than read them from my kindle. It won't be the same, but I'll buy them next time around when I feel like re-reading them. Which I know I will.

message 15: by Grace (new)

Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first book in a little while to hook its claws in me so firmly. ..."

I wish I had bought the entire trilogy. I originally only bought the first book in case I didn't enjoy but then ordered the second and I still haven't gotten the third. It would have been really nice to be able to marathon this series.

message 16: by Darcy (new)

Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first book in a little while to hook its claws in ..."

Yeah, I did get to marathon the series, but it would have been nice to do so in physical book format.

Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first book in a little while to hook its claws in ..."
I was thinking about buying it, but then the only cover I could find in stores was the new covers *cringes*

message 18: by Grace (new)

Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first book in a little while to hook..."

The physical books are so pretty.
So what was everyone's least favorite character?

message 19: by Darcy (new)

Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first book in a little while to hook..."

Ooooohhhhhhhh yeah, those ones are horrid! They really don't match Kestrel's character at all, while the original ones do.

message 20: by Grace (new)

Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first bo..."

Yeah the new covers looked horrible. I don't know why someone decided to change them because the originals are what most likely draws a reader in.

message 21: by Darcy (new)

Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first book in a little..."

Cheat, Irex, and the Emperor.

message 22: by Darcy (new)

Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this wa..."

Those covers will draw in the reader too, but they imply a totally different story than what it actually is!

message 23: by Grace (new)

Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first bo..."

For me it was her dad and cheat.

Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this was the first bo..."
I hated Cheat he was just so cruel and I just felt like he drew Arin in on lies and led him to a false comfort. He was just a horrible character!

message 25: by Darcy (new)

Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this wa..."

Agreed!

Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing was that this wa..."
You disliked her dad, Grace? At first I didn't really like him, but then as the story went along, I realized he really have Kestrel's best interest at heart and loved her, even if he didn't show it at all times.

message 27: by Grace (new)

Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing wa..."

It sounds weird but I just felt like his whole distance thing was odd and I know he felt like he was doing right by her but to me it was just a way for him to go and do what he wanted.

message 28: by Darcy (new)

Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "For me, my favourite thing wa..."

I think it was more what he thought her best interests were, which wasn't what she actually needed. But yeah, I couldn't hate him because he thought he was doing the right thing, and he loved Kestrel and she loved him.

message 29: by Grace (new)

Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "F..."

Maybe it's because I just read the second book but I don't want to spoil anything if you haven't read it but he just really annoyed me in the entire second book.

message 30: by Darcy (new)

Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "D..."

Yeah I understand that, I'm curious to see how you feel after reading the third one though.

message 31: by Grace (new)

Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "G..."

I'm hoping that my opinion of him changes and I know that he thought he was doing the right thing but I just kept getting so upset about that last bit with him.

message 32: by Darcy (new)

Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "D..."

Understandable.

Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "G..."
Who was your favorite character? (I didn't miss this question already did I?)

message 34: by Darcy (new)

Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43v3r) wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Grace (B00ks_43..."

I think we answered this on the other thread, but I'll answer it here as well. Kestrel, Arin, and Sarsine. There are characters in the later books that I would like to add but I won't because spoilers.

message 35: by Darcy (new)

I just noticed something that I really love about The Winner's Curse. I've been doing some research into story clichés and a common one is the protagonist or love interest having uniquely coloured eyes. Kestrel often points out Arin's eyes and that she loves them and the colour, but also tells us that its the common Herrani colour, and that it's Arin's spirit and personality that really attracts her to his eyes. I feel like Marie Rutkoski was aware of clichés and made sure to work around them.

That's so smart! I would have never thought of that! That would be really cool if she did that on purpose!