Predictions! discussion

Released > Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
So... I read the book.

I have a lot of thoughts. If any of you have read the book, or seen the play, I'm sure you have too. So this is a place where you can discuss the book. There will be spoilers!

Ok so I'll start: I thought it was entertaining, but to be honest I'm kind of surprised JKR approved this plot. It messed with a lot of stuff, and at times felt a bit stupid. There were some great plot twists, but a lot of it is just NOT how we pictured life after Deathly Hallows, even despite the epilogue. I'm still deciding whether I'm glad this book exists.

What do you guys think? I won't go into too much more detail of my opinions yet, I'll wait to discuss it with you guys!

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (rolling_in_the_muck) | 35 comments I won't go too into detail, but my basic thoughts.
It was disappointing.
Not necessarily bad.
Reasonably enjoyable to read.
But bad nonetheless.
1) I did not like the script format. Yes I know it's a play, yes I get its meant to be performed - but that made it even worse to be read as it was and I don't think I wanted a play anyway.
2) Characterisation was poor, maybe even nonexistent. They seemed unrealistic, ridiculous and all the reactions of the characters was honestly quite unbelievable. We lost all the depth and intricacies of the original characters.
3) Plot was seemingly that of a bad fanfic. They should have avoided time travel, alternate realities and Voldemort (and his daughter for that matter). Enough said.
4) Poor execution. It lost its magical spark and it's amazing intertwining, nail biting plot. It was written badly and it was boring, unrealistic and all together un-Harry Potter-esque.

Just my initial thoughts

message 3: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Digger wrote: "I agree. I read it a while back, and it wasn't AS good."

Yeah, exactly. It was OK, but I can't really compare it to the brilliance of the original series.

message 4: by Arch (new)

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Yeah, far too much retconning!!! Also the timelines became way too confused, and it messed with the time travelling rules established in the Prisoner of Azkaban?

message 5: by hannah (new)

hannah pachet (hannahpachet) I enjoyed the book (script lol), but not as a Harry Potter book. The characterization was off and I didn't like some of the storylines, but I wasn't even thinking about what to expect before I read it. I just enjoyed it as a story featuring some old favourite characters. I dot think I'd reread it though lol

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (rolling_in_the_muck) | 35 comments Exactly!!!!!

message 7: by Jamie (last edited May 26, 2017 09:06AM) (new)

Jamie (rolling_in_the_muck) | 35 comments The characterisation was meh, and I really didn't like the script format. I personally didn't like it as much as the books: I'm glad to hear that's a common sentiment.