YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Grasshopper Jungle
This topic is about Grasshopper Jungle
BUDDY READ: Dystopian/Sci-Fi > Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith - Starting August 7th 2016

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 85336 comments Mod
Sixteen-year-old Austin Szerba interweaves the story of his Polish legacy with the story of how he and his best friend , Robby, brought about the end of humanity and the rise of an army of unstoppable, six-foot tall praying mantises in small-town Iowa.

To make matters worse, Austin's hormones are totally oblivious; they don't care that the world is in utter chaos: Austin is in love with his girlfriend, Shann, but remains confused about his sexual orientation. He's stewing in a self-professed constant state of maximum horniness, directed at both Robby and Shann. Ultimately, it's up to Austin to save the world and propagate the species in this sci-fright journey of survival, sex, and the complex realities of the human condition.

Ozcose | 17 comments Hey guys this is my first buddy read so I'm not sure how it does. Looks pretty simple. No one set any kind of schedule for it right? Should we?

message 3: by Tayane (last edited Aug 07, 2016 07:35PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tayane Cristie (taycristie) | 2886 comments Ozcose wrote: "Hey guys this is my first buddy read so I'm not sure how it does. Looks pretty simple. No one set any kind of schedule for it right? Should we?"

I'll be starting it now.
I don't actually schedule anything, 'cause I'm always counting my books for challenges, so I read as much as I can. So you just read it normally and write here your comments about what you're thiking of the story, when something important happens, etc. Like:

Chapter 3 (or whatever name it has)

<*here you hide your comment with the spoiler advertisement*>

Tayane Cristie (taycristie) | 2886 comments Shann's New Old House

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Tayane (last edited Aug 07, 2016 09:29PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tayane Cristie (taycristie) | 2886 comments If You Ever Want To Get Shot In Ealing

(view spoiler)

Ozcose | 17 comments Okay cool, thanks Tayane. I dug in tonight as well and am really enjoying it. I know the repetition has its place but it's kind of driving me bonkers.

message 7: by Ozcose (last edited Aug 07, 2016 10:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ozcose | 17 comments Grant Wallace Murdered Me (view spoiler)

If You Ever Want To Get Shot In Ealing, Taking Drags, and everything in between.
(view spoiler)

A Visitor Comes and Goes
(view spoiler)

Tayane Cristie (taycristie) | 2886 comments Finished part 1

(view spoiler)

Ozcose | 17 comments @ Tayane Why does Austin irritate you?

Tayane Cristie (taycristie) | 2886 comments Ozcose wrote: "@ Tayane Why does Austin irritate you?"

Because I don't really like characters that get horny for anything. I know he's a teen and he's full of hormones, but being in his head is a bit too much. Mostly because of the narrative, probably. I really like his conflict about his sexuality, though, it's something that leaves me curious to know how things will turn out.

Tayane Cristie (taycristie) | 2886 comments Taking Drags
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Ozcose (last edited Aug 10, 2016 09:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ozcose | 17 comments He is sex obsessed I can see where you're coming from. (view spoiler)

message 13: by Tayane (last edited Aug 14, 2016 07:42PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tayane Cristie (taycristie) | 2886 comments Finished!
It was a struggle to go through this book. I know I could've liked it, but the narrative didn't let me enjoy it. I like weird stories, but this one was too much. And I didn't even like the main character.