Mock Printz 2023 discussion

The Memory Book
This topic is about The Memory Book
Mock Printz 2017 > August: The Memory Book by Lara Avery

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) | 86 comments The Memory Book has starred reviews from SLJ, Kirkus, and PW. Do you think it's Printz material?

Katie (katielibrarian) | 4 comments This one got me out of a reading slump - and I am grateful for that. Not a "typical" YA book - at least in my opinion...which for that reason I do think it could be part of a Printz discussion.

Kathy Meulen Ellison | 0 comments I'm new to commenting here. Let me know if I'm doing something against group norms.

I'm halfway through and am struck by how readable it has become when she starts to throw in more dialogue. I liked the beginning parts when she would describe a character and say "find her" and then talk about their most likely location. That was poignant. I could imagine "Future Sam" looking for them.

It reminds me of other recent books about kids with rare medical situations like "Everything, Everything" by Nicola Yoon, "None of the Above" by Gregorio and definitely "Last Leaves Falling" by Benwell.

Not yet sure if it is Printz worthy.

message 4: by Reving (last edited Aug 07, 2016 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 5: by Maureen (new) - added it

Maureen (mhsquier) | 79 comments I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! And even though it is very readable, it also has some qualities that make it Printz worthy.

The overall irony that of intelligent, ambitious Sammie being betrayed by her memory is all encompassing, and you feel it right up until the end of the book. Sammie's voice is wonderful throughout the whole book, and her perspective is refreshing. I love how she edited the NPC Wikipedia page, which resulted in her losing her editing rights, and kept her penchant for expletives through the whole book.

I hope to see this one get a medal!

Anne Bennett (headfullofbooks) | 80 comments This is a truly cry-worthy book. I really think it is special but I think it is going to experience problems with the Printz committee.

Mary HD (marymaclan) | 85 comments Well, another rare-disease weepie, one where you knew where all the characters would end up (and you'd be right).

That said, I'm old enough to worry about my memory failing, so the plot resonated (and made me wonder whether a high schooler could even imagine such a problem...). The characters were appealing, the first-person perspective avoided the dreadful end of the disease, the irony of a memory whiz "losing her mind" was handled with some subtlety. But I don't think this is original enough for a Printz nod.