Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Marketing No New Posts > Getting started with ad sites

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elí (new)

Elí Freysson (eli_freysson) I sought advice on GR, and I got it.

I have a list of things I'm going to attempt to get my books noticed more, and I'm going to start by giving ad sites a try. I'm going to do a free promotion of one of my fantasy novels, while also running ads on sites so people will actually notice it.

One bit of advice Morris gave me was to start with the third in the trilogy, as people will snatch up a free book and then buy the first two, then do the same with the second and save the first for last.

This does sound like a good trick, but I'd just like to get some more opinions on it. The third in the series does have the coolest cover, in my opinion, but also only seven reviews to the original's fifteen.

Anyway, I've never done this before, but here is my rough plan for now:

*Set the third book to be free for 2-3 days a week or two from now.
*Make use of Book Barbarian, Armadillo Ebooks, Book Raid, and Just Kindle Books, and their service for free ebooks.
*Do the same for another book a couple of weeks later.

How does this sound?

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Moved to marketing and promo folder.

Honestly? As a reader, I would see through the attempt and avoid the series. The whole point of a free first in series is to see whether or not folks would want to take a chance and spend money on the other books. Plus, you'll note when you read their submission guidelines, Book Barbarian will only promote next in series with the first.

message 3: by Morris (last edited Aug 01, 2016 02:54PM) (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) The lady I edit for ran a Bookbub and gave away one of the books in her series recently. She told me that she had over 50,000 downloads of her free book and it caused the sales of the rest of them to spike significantly.

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) A book Bub deal will do that, but I'd still maintain that you're better off offering the first in series. Especially if you're looking to utilize paid advertising.

message 5: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
I would look at it this way, myself. No one has any reason to pick up any of my books. And if you picked up the third in my series, I'm sure you could work your way through it as an individual book and not have too many problems. However, to me, I want to suck a reader in. Much harder to do that, in my opinion, if you start in the middle or towards the end of your series.
So, I'm with Christina on offering the first, or if you're going to offer the third, offer it succession on their services. So like book one, then a few days later book two, and then a few days later book three. Make it something where you're going to hit the most readers possible. That's just my two cents.

message 6: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) All I can say is she rotates them around and it works.

message 7: by Andrea (last edited Aug 02, 2016 03:39AM) (new)

Andrea Lightfoot (goodreadscomandrea17) | 79 comments think I might look into this myself - actually, I will
Does anyone know the best sites?

message 8: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) The number one site is Bookbub, number two is Ereader News today. And don't forget The Fussy Librarian.

message 9: by Elí (new)

Elí Freysson (eli_freysson) Okay, I seem to having an odd problem with Amazon. It lists one of my books as unavailable for the free days, due to an impending KCD... which I don't have scheduled. I've contacted them, and I'll wait to decide until this is cleared up.

I appreciate the replies.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Connell (michelleconnell) | 39 comments If you have only one novel so far, what would be the best way to advertise it? I would have no other books for readers to find. My book is an inspirational romance, with 4.7 rating so far.

Thanks!

message 11: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Enroll in Kindle select, do a countdown sale and advertise at the same time. You may only break even at first, but you will get something valuable. Verified purchase reviews!

message 12: by Entrada (new)

Entrada Book Review | 2 comments Hi Michelle,

Having just marketed our first inspirational romance, I can tell you that it can be a bit difficult! :)

Morris is right with his suggestion.

On top of that, use the groups and the contacts that you already have to find like-minded people that are interested in that genre.

I like The Fussy Librarian as well but keep in mind that with any advertising, you have to be willing to put it out there and be willing to not only break even but maybe go in the hole. People that love your book will share it.

message 13: by C.M. (new)

C.M. Halstead (cmhalstead) | 46 comments Great stuff here. Thank you!

message 14: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) It is good to get advice from people who publish in your genre. For instance, I like Book Barbarian, but they only accept ads for Fantasy/Sci-fi.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Connell (michelleconnell) | 39 comments Thanks, everyone. I am running a GR giveaway right now, so I think I will run a sale of .99 and advertise at the end of the giveaway. I'm looking at the Fussy Librarian and perhaps Robin Reads and ENT.

message 16: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Make sure of the following things before you do from someone who has made the mistakes.

1) Make sure you do a Kindle Countdown Sale instead of just discounting it to $0.99. If you run a Countdown Sale, you will retain your 70% royalty for the duration of the sale. if you simply discount it, the royalty drops to 35%. Don't leave money on the table.

2) Start your countdown sale the day before your ads come out. Some ads don't run until noon or later. If the advertiser looks in the morning and it is not the price you promised it would be, they will throw out your ad.

3) Layer your promotions for different days during your sale instead of all on the same day. I am still experimenting, but I like to run a different ad for three days running, to keep the sales re-spiking and get your sales numbers up.

For instance, i am planning a sale Sept 22-28. I have already paid Book Barbarian for the 23rd, The Fussy librarian for the 24th, and Robin Reads for the 25th.

A lot of this falls under SWAG and "Live and Learn." I decided this year that i'd rather try and fail than to sit still and wonder why my books never sell.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Connell (michelleconnell) | 39 comments Thanks, Morris, for your great info.

Ok, so how do I time the price with the right ad? My e-book is reg. 5.99. Don't most of these want books at .99?

Thanks so much for your input!

message 18: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) I think the usual price of $5,99 seems to be a bit much unless you're Stephen king or Tom Clancy. The "sweet spot for the regular price of a darn good indie book is $2.99-$3.99

However, having said that, you can't move your price 30 days before a countdown sale, or 14 days after. It may even look like a better deal to discount from $5.99. You can drop your normal price 14 days after the sale is over.

Yes, most ads are wanting to show a discounted book, not all, but most. But royalties on a bunch of books at 70% of $0.99 is better than royalties on one or two at the normal price. Sometimes just getting your sales numbers up and reviews are the only justification, even if you don't make a profit on this sale. Just remember, most books burn out and sell nothing or one or two copies a month 90 days after they are published. Advertising and publishing more books are the keys to the kingdom.

message 19: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) I went two whole months without a sale of my book that was published 3 years ago. I did a Countdown Sale and made most of the ad money back. But, I sold 81 copies of my book, and so far added two more reviews, and after the sale, i sold one today at $2.99.

Yep, it's a slow climb, but sitting still and letting things happen doesn't work; I know. The self-publishing world is not the "Field of Dreams." Just because you write it, doesn't mean that they will all line up down the street to buy it. The lady I edit for is a best-selling author, and I get my marketing tips from her. She is always telling me to be fearless in marketing and do not be afraid to fail.

I invested $60 once in an ad with someone who came highly recommended. I sold seven books. Lesson learned? Don't use that advertiser! Dust yourself off and try somewhere else.

message 20: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments Has anyone tried banner advertising on blogs that focus on their topic/genre? Not related to a sale or anything, just ads?