Reader's Paradise discussion

Book Of The Month! > Shutter Island - August 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Blurb-
The year is 1954. U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels and his new -partner, Chuck Aule, have come to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane, to investigate the disappearance of a patient. Multiple-murderess Rachel Solando is loose somewhere on this barren island, despite having been kept in a locked cell under constant surveillance. As a killer hurricane bears relentlessly down on them, a strange case takes on even darker, more sinister shades--with hints of radical experimentation, horrifying surgeries, and lethal countermoves made in the cause of a covert shadow war. No one is going to escape Shutter Island unscathed, because nothing at Ashecliffe Hospital is remotely what it seems .

message 2: by John (last edited Aug 01, 2016 08:40PM) (new)

John | 13 comments I've just re-watched the movie a few weeks ago, but have never read the book. I'm looking forward to starting it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Haven't watched the movie.
I'll start today.

John- did you like the movie?

message 4: by Indrani (new)

Indrani Sen Happy reading folks. This is one of my most favorite books.

message 5: by Indrani (new)

Indrani Sen Arpit wrote: "Haven't watched the movie.
I'll start today.

John- did you like the movie?"

I have watched the movie too. I still liked the book better but as far as I remember the movie was very decent too.

message 6: by John (new)

John | 13 comments Arpit wrote: "Haven't watched the movie.
I'll start today.

John- did you like the movie?"

Very much, and it was just as good as I'd remembered.
I've heard the book is even better, although that shouldn't be a surprise, I suppose. :)

message 7: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Would be starting it latest by tomorrow. Excited to read this.
Loved the movie. Who wouldn't, its Leo afterall :)

message 8: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (msp4320) i want to join ??

message 9: by John (new)

John | 13 comments I'm in the middle of All the Light We Cannot See, so I'll most likely start it on Saturday.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to read this but My plate is full now.. I will start in 15 August

message 11: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 553 comments Until December I'm not gonna participate in any Group reads:( my ca exams coming up! But I so wanna read it..will see! You enjoy reading this book guys :D

message 12: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments You can nominate your CA text books in the upcoming book of the month polls :P
All the best for your exams :)

message 13: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 553 comments Lol Gorab. It had crossed my mind,tbh:P:P But it is evil to make all the ppl read those big tough books;) So gonna skip it ;P

message 14: by Madhu (new)

Madhu (Madhu LovesBooks) (madhu_lovesbooks) | 33 comments Currently busy with exams, but that doesn't stop me from a peek in Goodreads!

Will hopefully start reading this book after my exams.

message 15: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Sundara wrote: "But it is evil to make all the ppl read those big tough books;) "

Arpit always does that! Convinces me to try reading those big tough books (called classiscs :P)

message 16: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Shutter Island - I have started. Would go very slow if everyone else is joining late as don't want to be a loner.

message 17: by Karolina Kat (new)

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments I will join you today/tomorrow - depending on how fast I finish the book I'm reading atm :)

message 18: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis I nominated it for this month but finished it last month only :3

How many of you have started? Have seen the movie?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Gehna wrote: "How many of you have started? Have seen the movie?"

Haven't seen the movie. Don't have any plan either.
Started the book :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Gorab wrote: "Arpit always does that! Convinces me to try reading those big tough books (called classiscs :P)"

And don't deny the fact that you enjoy 'em :P

message 21: by Karolina Kat (new)

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments Starting the novel tonight. I've seen the movie a few years ago, it was really good!

message 22: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Gehna wrote: "I nominated it for this month but finished it last month only :3"

That's a nice strategy Gehna, to read what you want irrespective of polls result. I'm gonna copy it :D

message 23: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Arpit wrote: "And don't deny the fact that you enjoy 'em :P"

Yes I do. Guilty. And am gonna enjoy "Em" too :P

message 24: by Gorab (last edited Aug 04, 2016 03:06AM) (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Have started with Day1....

message 25: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis Arpit wrote: "Gehna wrote: "How many of you have started? Have seen the movie?"

Haven't seen the movie. Don't have any plan either.
Started the book :)"

Have heard that movie is great. Am planning to watch it soon.

message 26: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis Gorab wrote: "Gehna wrote: "I nominated it for this month but finished it last month only :3"

That's a nice strategy Gehna, to read what you want irrespective of polls result. I'm gonna copy it :D"

I couldn't wait for the poll results :P :P

message 27: by Karolina Kat (last edited Aug 04, 2016 03:04AM) (new)

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments @Gehna - the movie is great, the atmosphere is amazing and DiCaprio plays fantastically. Very dark too.

message 28: by Gorab (last edited Aug 04, 2016 03:59AM) (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Day 1 - Rachel
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Gorab (last edited Aug 04, 2016 04:00AM) (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Ha ha ha :)
Sorry if those words had any spoiler. I didn't think so.
Anyways, going forward I'll start the message with Day number, and mark the rest as spoiler.

message 30: by John (last edited Aug 04, 2016 04:24AM) (new)

John | 13 comments Gorab wrote: "Ha ha ha :)
Sorry if those words had any spoiler. I didn't think so.
Anyways, going forward I'll start the message with Day number, and mark the rest as spoiler."

I didn't take them as a spoiler, but my reply could have been so I deleted it. LOL

It's going to be difficult to discuss this book without revealing things. Maybe we should have a different thread for each chapter. :-D

message 31: by Karolina Kat (new)

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments Spoiler tags work perfectly for that :) we can mark at which chapter a person has o be to safely uncover the tag :)

message 32: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 553 comments @Gorab
I have difficulty reading classics too ;)
Must stay away from Arpit:P

message 33: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments LOL!

message 34: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Day1 - Rachel - Chapter 4
(view spoiler)

message 35: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Sorry I told before to go slow so others starting late could catch up. But this is the kind of book, after starting I just can't wait....

message 36: by Karolina Kat (new)

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments @Gorab

(view spoiler)

And I agree, although I felt that the start was rather slow, today when I was reading the book on my way to work I nearly missed my stop.

message 37: by Medha (new)

Medha (thefreshnfabulous) | 2 comments Is anyone still looking for a partner to read this one?

message 38: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Medha, this is a group read. We are all partners here :) Do join in at your convenience.

message 39: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments @Karolina : True that!
Same feeling I had with the slow and abstract start.

message 40: by Karolina Kat (new)

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments The writing didn't captivate me for the first few chapters. The story is interesting enough, but the narration is a bit 'dry'.

message 41: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Day 2 - Chapter 8
(view spoiler)

message 42: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Who all have started? Where have you reached?

message 43: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 1178 comments Mod
I have seen the movie and loved it !! Leo 's performance was amazing as usual ! Hoping to read this book soon :)

message 44: by Karolina Kat (new)

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments @Annette - after the movie, the book lands on the rather disappointing side

message 45: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis Karolina wrote: "@Gehna - the movie is great, the atmosphere is amazing and DiCaprio plays fantastically. Very dark too."

I have to download it ASAP :3

message 46: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis Sorry for disappearing, everyone! :|

message 47: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Karolina wrote: "@Annette - after the movie, the book lands on the rather disappointing side"

You mean book is not as good as movie?

message 48: by Gorab (last edited Aug 16, 2016 12:26AM) (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Totally agree with Karolina.
Even I loved the movie more. May be because I saw it before reading, but still feel movie is a must watch irrespective of whether you read it or not.

message 49: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 553 comments I'm yet to read and watch the movie.
You guys suggest watching the movie first?

message 50: by Karolina Kat (new)

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments @Palash - yes! Even though I've watched it a few years ago, it still made a geat impression - one I remember to this day. The characters portrayed in the book did not feel as real to me, there was something missing in the narration/dialogue, which made the whole story a bit weaker in my opinion. After great performances from the actors, I think I had higher expectations for the novel.