The Bibliophiles discussion

The Old Man and the Sea
This topic is about The Old Man and the Sea
Book of the Month > August BOTM The Old Man and The Sea

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
Here is the thread for this month's read, The Old Man and the Sea. Please share your thoughts with the group! Thanks everyone! :)

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (mentha) | 333 comments I have a deep rooted fear for this one after a kid at middle school had written a book report on it that I ended up proofreading. It seemed like the most boring book ever written ever.

Jenny wrote: "I have a deep rooted fear for this one after a kid at middle school had written a book report on it that I ended up proofreading. It seemed like the most boring book ever written ever."

It's got some pretty mixed reviews haha. Fortunately it's a pretty short book so if it does turn out to bore you, at least it won't be for long!

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (mentha) | 333 comments Hehe yeah, I still haven't read Agatha Christie's "And then there were none" either. I'm in a utter book slump. Started East of Eden but suddenly lost interest without a reason (I was actually enjoying it) and started Last of the Mohicans which just doesn't do it either. I guess its just one of those months. I think I'm gonna sit this one out.

Jenny wrote: "Hehe yeah, I still haven't read Agatha Christie's "And then there were none" either. I'm in a utter book slump. Started East of Eden but suddenly lost interest without a reason (I was actually enjo..."

I understand how that goes. As much as I love to read, I still have times in my life where I just don't have the mental energy to take it on. I hate those times because most of me is like 'Let's get home and crack open a book and relax!' but then I get home and I'm just 'Meh' I have no idea where it comes from but I think every reader experiences this at one time or another. And that's totally ok!

Kandice Everything Hemingway writes is so sparse. I have to be in the right mood to read him. You can certainly not accuse him of being unable to kill his adverbs!

I remember reading this for the first time and feeling it was such a pointless story. Later as adult, on reread, I realized it's not just the story being told, but all that the story represents.

I haven't been participating much because I've had little time to read so have wanted to read books of my own choosing, but like Lisa said, this is short so maybe I will read along.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (mentha) | 333 comments Short might be good. I'm 7 books behind says goodreads and I wonder if I can turn the challenge off.