Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 5. What resonated with you?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
5. What scene resonated most with you personally in either a positive or negative way? Why?

message 2: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1449 comments I think I just answered this in the previous question. I think that Smith wrote about the musings inside the head of a woman with dementia particularly well and this was my favourite part of the book.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments The dinner party. Hannah was so involved in her own narrow worldview, or she was just unintelligent, and I wanted to yell at her, just as I do when people I know can't be bothered to learn or, heaven forbid, research before spouting an opinion. There was also a part of the conversation about foreigners overrunning the country, and it seemed to predict Brexit. I found the whole dinner captured current disquiet in the world very accurately.

message 4: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2064 comments Mod
I also answered in the last question and it is where Brooke makes the point that it is assumed characters in a book are white unless it specifically says otherwise.

message 5: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
There was a lot I liked about this book.

I really liked how Mark ponders this found on page 96 (hardback), he wonders if holy water was selective too, and if that's what God was these days, and whether everybody now simply had a private god who sanctioned his or her own choices about who he or she would pick up in a cab.

I liked the same that Book mentions about the color

and like Pip, I really liked the "old woman" with dementia part too.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1289 comments Mod
What I disliked about the dinner party was when the guests spoke about the other guests behind their back. Mark was spoken of negatively and I thought that was quite rude.