Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 3. Structure and Style

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
3. What did you think of the structure and style of the writing?

message 2: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1448 comments I loved the writing, revelling in the wordplay and fascinated by where the plot was leading (or not, as it turned out). But I thought the sections being headed up by the four word of the title were a bit forced and the preface somewhat confusing. I took it to mean it was the story that Miles wrote for Brooke.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments I enjoyed the writing, too. The style was different, but not so hard to follow.

message 4: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2064 comments Mod
Pip I think you are right that the chapter starts are the story that Miles writes for Brooke as they certainly tie in thematically.

I loved the play with words and the way the relationships fall together as you get to the end of the Brooke.

message 5: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
I loved the structure and the writing. I like word play. I agree Pip, it was a great idea but not quite developed. Maybe needed a little more work.

message 6: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 975 comments I enjoyed the puns and play on words; I also liked to some extent that the main focus of the history (Miles) was viewed mostly from the outside by "outsiders". However, I kind of lost interest during the third part ('for', with May Young), it was a bit harder to follow.