The Catholic Book Club discussion

Fatal Rhythm (Texas Medical Center Mystery #1)
This topic is about Fatal Rhythm
Prior Discussions > 2. Discuss the plot

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Seymour | 1934 comments Mod
2. Discuss the plot:
• Is it engaging—do you find the story interesting?
• Is this a plot-driven book—a fast-paced page-turner?
• Does the plot unfold slowly with a focus on character?
• Were you surprised by complications, twists & turns?
• Did you find the plot predictable, even formulaic?

John Seymour | 1934 comments Mod
Warning, this answer includes spoilers.

I found the plot interesting and at times quite thrilling. As mentioned, however, there were plot elements that just didn't work for me.

I am aware that some doctors fall into a medical practice that is based on doing what works and how they were trained without a rigorous focus on science, but my own experience has been very different, with several doctors (including one who literally saved my life) who were and are intensely focused on data and science. The idea that a cardiac ICU would have a series of unexplained deaths and no one would start an investigation to figure out what happened didn't ring true. And the idea that a resident would be fired without anyone identifying a specific wrong action also struck me as strange.

Then, once they identify a killer, no one bothers to call the cops - apparently he is just fired. In what world does this happen. And the hospital still doesn't seem to mount a full investigation - just a couple of doctors, seemingly on their own, poking around in pathology.

Then the real killer is identified in the board room dénouement -- and he is allowed to walk out? Really?! After threatening others in the room?

Other than those issues, I enjoyed the book.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 710 comments This is definitely driven by plot, with very little character development. When Joe learns about his parentage, seems like that would be more important than it turns out to be. I didn't like the recurring/shifting nightmare--maybe too logical for a dream? I was impatient for Joe to realize Elizabeth's ability to read lips would unlock the mystery; I figured that out much earlier. Very few twists/turns after Joe focused on the cardioplegia solution, just his difficulty getting anyone to listen to him. I hated Delia from the beginning; she had no redeeming qualities. I thought she could very easily have killed everyone out of spite at being rejected. I don't understand how Joaquin got better.